Viridian problems

doormanpoet

I spoke with an engineer about the problems and here they are:

1) ONLY ONE CRANE! Most projects of this size employ a second crane, but the lot is so small there is no room for supplies, let alone a second crane. Materials have to be shipped in daily rather than stored on site.

2) Limited Payroll and workers. They are working 6 am to 3 pm currently Monday Through Friday. Ocassionally on Saturday. It appears budget restraints for meeting payroll prevent overtime and weekends.

3) Sewer and plumbing. There was an unexpected amount of debris and the former concrete foundation to remove before anything could be done. Again, the lot caused problems and the widening of Church Street has slowed down the installation of the plumbing, sewage and steam heating systems.

4) Only 70% have been sold, therefore some more capital has to be raised and it is taking time.

5) Suppply of concrete. With so many projects going up around town, the concrete supplier delivers concrete to the construction company that pays first.

6) Expect this building to be finished in 2007, not 2006 as originally planned.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw on another thread at www.skyscraperpage.com a link to the Rj Griffin website. They have a camera where you can see the daily progress on the Viridian. It has moved along at a decent pace over the last two months. I hope my engineer friend is being conservative in his estimation of the time length. He told me that the weather is a major factor, and the ease of delivery of materials.

There is no way they could fit another crane in without closing Church Street.  I would rather it take longer than mess up traffic for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i drove by the site yesterday. you can barely see daylight between the l&c and the viridian! i hope nobody sneezes in either building or they'll be smacking into each other.

I spoke with an engineer friend of mine today. Actually, they are right on schedule, although they are looking at late 2006 for a completion date. 2007 if they get a lot of bad weather, but the actually frame work if you will, will be up by fall so at least when the Titans are on Television again, people all over the country can see the Viridian take shape!

OK people, Church St is closed off to traffic. However not due to the Viridian. It is the earlier planned Church St re-construction. But this allows for the Viridian to expand its construction site for a short while which will give it a couple of weeks jump on the schedule which was unplanned. Its only a couple of weeks, but its something. It has been closed for a few days now.

edit : It was re-opened yesterday to traffic, but will be closed off and on due to the Church St Construction.

Just a question... on the webcam, it seems like the veridian wipes out the sidewalk in front of it... like it comes all the way to the street almost... at least in comparrison to the L&C tower... is this so? How did they get away with that???

Paula

Just a question... on the webcam, it seems like the veridian wipes out the sidewalk in front of it... like it comes all the way to the street almost... at least in comparrison to the L&C tower... is this so?  How did they get away with that???

Paula

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it comes close, but that is just the construction utilities that cover the sidewalk and area

They're basically rebuilding the entire Church Street segment from 4th Avenue to Ninth Avenue. Improvements will be made from 1st to 3rd with new sidewalks, lighting, etc. The Exchange Lofts and Church Street Lofts are in this section are currently under construction. It will be a beautiful improvement, along with Capitol Blvd. They've begun the installation of the new lights between 3rd and 1st and they look really nice. This won't be a long-term project and will probably be complete before year's end. I'll think you'll all be pleased with the new landscaping, lighting, planters and furniture.

These diagrams should help:

http://www.bargewaggoner.com/downtownnashv...pitol_small.jpg

http://www.bargewaggoner.com/downtownnashville/plans.html

• 2 weeks later...

The Viridian is coming along slowly but surely! Its now at a breath taking 3 1/2 floors. It will be exciting to watch it start to rise above the smaller buildings downtown. Every time I pass by it it makes me wish I just had a little bit more money!

Archived