• Austin, TX
    • Charlotte, NC
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Raleigh-Durham, NC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a rather random poll...

Austin is Texas' Capital, and music/street life heart.

Charlotte is a residential boom town.

Jacksonville is florida's biggest city.

Durham virginia?

They don't have much in-common, but I voted Charlotte because of the wonderful projects going on there.

I also would have liked to see more choices in this poll, but for the four included:

Skyline

1. Charlotte

2. Jacksonville

3. Austin

4. Raleigh

Nightlife

1. Austin

2. Jacksonville

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

Technology Center

1. Austin

2. Raleigh

3. Charlotte

4. Jacksonville

Geography

1. Jacksonville

2. Austin

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

He's new, and probably doesn't know how many of these threads there has been, and what a beaten topic the "vs" threads are.

Unless your considering moving to one of these city's and want others opinions? Might want to be more specific...

I think Saint Paul Minnesota is one of the nicer capital cities in the midwest. It's nicely laid out on 3 terraces. Especially downtown over looking the hills of Eastside, Frogtown, & Highland neighborhoods.

Interstate 94Wes and 35 East intersects at the heart of downtown with many over passes.Although the population of Saint Paul hasn't had recent growth it is still my favorite capital city of the midwest.

I voted Charlotte for economy, quality of life, growth, and skyline.

Economy - Most deversified though you don't hear that too much. Steel, Banking, Automotives, Retail, and more

Quality of Life - Always debatable, but in terms of what I have seen in all of these cities they all are around each other in this category

Growth - While Raleigh may more growth Charlotte is more of a leader in smart growth and the new transit lines provide for a bright future.

Skyline - Duh. While Jacksonville has a nice skyline, it does not have the substance and class of the Charlotte skyline IMO, and Raleigh and Austin do not compete in this category with Charlotte and Jacksonville.

Overall?

1. Charlotte

2. Jacksonville

3. Austin

4. Raliegh.

I voted Charlotte for economy, quality of life, growth, and skyline.

Economy - Most deversified though you don't hear that too much. Steel, Banking, Automotives, Retail, and more

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure that most in Jax believe it has a much more diverse economy.

Are we talking headquarters or are we talking sheer employment numbers?

Charlotte Headquarters

Bank of America - Banking

Lowes - Retail

Wachovia - Banking

Duke Energy - Energy

SPX - Manufacturing?

Goodrich - Aerospace

Sonic Automotives - Car Dealerships

Nucor - Steel

Family Dollar - Discount Retail

and more minor companies like lending tree, Belk, Harris Teeter

It looks to me as if the spectrum is indeed covered.

Jacksonville on the other hand is headquarters of:

Winn-Dixie- Food Service

CSX - ?

Fidelity Financial

Jacksonville does have a large military precense though.

I know I was listing Fortune 500 companies...

Alot of people think Charlotte is all banks and that is not true at all. Banks actually employ a small part of the cities population.

Are we talking headquarters or are we talking sheer employment numbers?

Actually neither. More like an overall employment balance of different industries and major economic engines.

Yes, Charlotte is a lot more than banks, but in the grand scheme of things it would be harder hit, if BOA or Wachovia closed up shop, due to their shear size, than if the military shut its bases down in Jax, due to the region not really dependant on any of its major industries (Aerospace, Insurance, Forestry, Transportation, Military, Finance, Manufacturing, etc.).

I think there is not a great difference in the economic diversity of all four of these cities. Charlotte does stand out in finance and would be hurt if it took a big hit. Raleigh and Austin are higher in government and education, but those jobs are safe from disappearing. I would say Jacksonville is most diverse for the reasons already explained by thelakelander.

I voted for Charlotte. Nice city.

I would have voted for Atlanta, but it wasn't on there. There should be some more major cities on the poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is the polls intentions were to ask about the midsized metros in south. Though I would link if your discussing mid sized metros in the south, you would have included Orlando.

I had to vote for Jacksonville. It has great infrastructure, huge opportunities for new and young professionals, rated one of the best places for HQ location, great weather, and, my favorite, exceptional access to water and beaches. With the St. Johns River running right through it, and just a 15 minute drive to some beautiful beaches, Jax has the best amenities for water sports enthusiasts, such as myself! :)

Archived