zt456

Which city is the BEST?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the BEST?

• Austin, TX
    • Charlotte, NC
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Raleigh-Durham, NC

Yet another poll with limited choices designed to pull out the response desired by the poller?

Well lets see....

1. Charlotte - a recent boomtown but in actuality an Atlanta wannabe with people who base EVERYTHING on the BOA building which until Heart drew some attention looked like a telephone pole next to some fence posts. Yes it has an impressive skyline for a smaller city but get on with life...please.

2. Raleigh - Excellent city with nice people and adequate urban density.

3. Jacksonville - A clean city, very modern but stuck with the ugly "Modis" building with a base so big, two really nice buildings could have been built. Still provides a fun venue for the GA/FLA game.

4. Austin - don't know much about it but I like all Texas cities so :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another poll with limited choices designed to pull out the response desired by the poller?

Well lets see....

1.  Charlotte - a recent boomtown but in actuality an Atlanta wannabe

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with that broad statement, but that assumption like your name is, pardon the expression somewhat of a stretch. Charlotte is not an Atlanta wannabe. In due time, this city will get bigger and better and it doesn't have the "we have to be like Atlanta complex." People just assume it does.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with that broad statement, but that assumption like your name is, pardon the expression somewhat of a stretch.  Charlotte is not an Atlanta wannabe.  In due time, this city will get bigger and better and it doesn't have the "we have to be like Atlanta complex."  People just assume it does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Good one on my name. I'm not saying Charlotte is bad, just the people I talke to up there are constantly using Atlanta as their measuring stick in regard to legitimizing themselves as a contender for a world class city. It's as if they're saying And you can't talk to anyone for five minutes until they ask if you've "noticed" Charlotte's skyline (particularly BOA)

Great city, beautiful city but be yourselves...don't measure by Atlanta....we got enough problems over here so we ain't the roll model for anyone.

The poll's not THAT terribly random. These are the 4 biggest "boom" cities in the tweener range, not quite yet major cities. Charlotte is a little bigger and further along than the others. Raleigh-Durham is a big biotech area, Austin is big for computers and telecom, Jacksonville's booming like the rest of Florida and is an "emerging city" as well. I guess you could throw Nashville in with this crowd. All of these are really great cities to relocate to.

I'm not trying to give Atlanta a bad rap. I just go through Charlotte a lot and it is a cool, progressive city and it seems from the particular people I have contact with in that area, they all constantly compare themselves to Atlanta. Never Jacksonville, never Birmingham, never Richmond, Memphis, Nashville, but always Atlanta. That's why I see the people I talk to as using Atlanta as a measuring stick. I guess it IS sort of a measuring stick. :)

The poll's not THAT terribly random.  These are the 4 biggest "boom" cities in the tweener range, not quite yet major cities.  Charlotte is a little bigger and further along than the others.  Raleigh-Durham is a big biotech area, Austin is big for computers and telecom, Jacksonville's booming like the rest of Florida and is an "emerging city" as well.  I guess you could throw Nashville in with this crowd.  All of these are really great cities to relocate to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't forget about Tampa, San Antonio and Orlando. Although their a little bigger than all of these metros, they still fall somewhere, in no mans land, after the 5-4+ million southern metros.

Raleigh and Durham are two seperate cities...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think durham is over all i better more enjoyable city than raleigh from my visits. but overall of these cities i think charlotte is an overall better city than the rest and i do agree raleigh and durham are to separate cities.

I also would have liked to see more choices in this poll, but for the four included:

Skyline

1. Charlotte

2. Jacksonville

3. Austin

4. Raleigh

Nightlife

1. Austin

2. Jacksonville

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

Technology Center

1. Austin

2. Raleigh

3. Charlotte

4. Jacksonville

Geography

1. Jacksonville

2. Austin

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One can only think that you hate geography. Pancake flat is UGLY.

Geography

1. Austin

2. Charlotte

3. Raleigh

4. Jacksonville

Technology Center

Very close between

1. Raleigh, Research Triangle

2. Austin, Dell, Computer Chips

Very distant

3. Charlotte

4. Jacksonville

Nightlife and Skyline fairly close, but I might put Austin's skyline above Jacksonville.

The city that I like the best of the four is Raleigh. I have only lived in Austin of the four. I didn't like it. I was constaintly affraid of being shot to death. Texans are scary. When I rode my bike, I constantly had to avoid being hit by the beer cans that would be chuked at me from the cars and trucks that passed me. I was affraid that I would be shot while driving in my car. I have lived in center city urban gettos and was never as afraid as I was in Austin.

I didn't like it. I was constaintly affraid of being shot to death

I have heard a lot of people tell me that didn't like Austin although it gets tons of hype. Most people in my field, biotech, say they have no desire to go there. Its usually Boston, SF, Seattle, or RTP.

I have heard a lot of people tell me that didn't like Austin although it gets tons of hype. Most people in my field, biotech, say they have no desire to go there. Its usually Boston, SF, Seattle, or RTP.

Dan, first off what is RTP? Does this refer to the research triangle in NC? Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Second, being in Biotech, have you heard of the Van Andel Research Institute? Its located in my hometown, gets a ton of hype here and I can

Dan, first off what is RTP? Does this refer to the research triangle in NC? Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Second, being in Biotech, have you heard of the Van Andel Research Institute? Its located in my hometown, gets a ton of hype here and I can

When you get to my age ,  Good hospitals, doctors, and drug stores.

How do these cities stack up to these?

Where I am living is just fine. Charlotte, NC  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing that is interesting, Charlotte is one of the few major cities lacking an academic medical school. In SC Columbia and Charleston have one, in NC Durham, Chapel Hill, and even ECU (wherever that is) do. Because it's a great city, I looked at it for residency. There's a large community hospital with some training programs but no medical school per se.

Oddly enough, Austin is another city like that. Both are very unusual in that regard.

I also would have liked to see more choices in this poll, but for the four included:

Skyline

1. Charlotte

2. Jacksonville

3. Austin

4. Raleigh

Nightlife

1. Austin

2. Jacksonville

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

Technology Center

1. Austin

2. Raleigh

3. Charlotte

4. Jacksonville

Geography

1. Jacksonville

2. Austin

3. Charlotte

4. Raleigh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sure like Raleigh a lot. How does Austin win over Charlotte and Raleigh geographically? They're all in flat-ish areas. The latter two have seasons, and good proximity to mountains/beach. Austin is a furnace year-round, and has worse proximity in both regards. I guess it has a nice river in city limits... is that it?

Also, what's Austin's national standing in terms of computer electronics? Raleigh is 3rd for Biotech in the US. That and the museums are pretty much all we have going for us. :/

I have only lived in Austin of the four. I didn't like it. I was constaintly affraid of being shot to death. Texans are scary. When I rode my bike, I constantly had to avoid being hit by the beer cans that would be chuked at me from the cars and trucks that passed me. I was affraid that I would be shot while driving in my car. I have lived in center city urban gettos and was never as afraid as I was in Austin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shot to death?!?? HAHAHAH!!!! You think Raleigh is less scary than Austin? What is scary about all the hippies and liberals?

You are the biggest wuss I have ever heard of. Glad you left.

• 2 weeks later...

You sure like Raleigh a lot. How does Austin win over Charlotte and Raleigh geographically? They're all in flat-ish areas. The latter two have seasons, and good proximity to mountains/beach. Austin is a furnace year-round, and has worse proximity in both regards. I guess it has a nice river in city limits... is that it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flat-ish areas? have you been to Austin? Rivers? Try lakes in the city limits. Three of them.

DSCN0245-vi.jpg

DSCN0309-vi.jpg

DSCN0323-vi.jpg

DSCN0312-vi.jpg

Austin doesn't have seasons?

Texas%20Hill%20Country.jpg

About the technology. its not called the silicon hills for nothing.

Archived