Ridgley Manor

Jaybee

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My perspective is that there are a few people who have plunked down deposits on units (mostly real estate brokers), as this project has been marketed to them - and no offense, those people know nothing about development. Saying that 80% of the project is already sold is just a marketing ploy. I bet you could buy on any floor of this project.

For example, the Plaza at Lutheran is no longer, the deposits have been returned to the old people who wanted to live there. They are all walking around dazed that the project didn't happen. Rumor has it is that they couldn't get enough people to buy. But, in the early stages of marketing the property, they said they were practically sold out as well.

The question is, does the professional realators out there allow this to happen unabated? I'd like to know if its ethical to sell land that is not under control by the developer, let alone part of the public right-of-way. Of course, if you believe this is true and honest, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...

My perspective is that there are a few people who have plunked down deposits on units (mostly real estate brokers), as this project has been marketed to them - and no offense, those people know nothing about development.  Saying that 80% of the project is already sold is just a marketing ploy.  I bet you could buy on any floor of this project.

For example, the Plaza at Lutheran is no longer, the deposits have been returned to the old people who wanted to live there.  They are all walking around dazed that the project didn't happen.  Rumor has it is that they couldn't get enough people to buy.  But, in the early stages of marketing the property, they said they were practically sold out as well.

The question is, does the professional realators out there allow this to happen unabated?  I'd like to know if its ethical to sell land that is not under control by the developer, let alone part of the public right-of-way.  Of course, if you believe this is true and honest, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shouldn't think that the Florida Association of Realtors would consider it very ethical for the realtors involved to be telling people that the project is 80% sold out if in fact it isn't. Me thinks that the CB company involved is trying to keep all the sales in-house!

I'm torn. On one hand, I think it's a great site for something of that magnitude, and it could help breathe new life into a somewhat blighted portion of downtown. On the other hand, I think it's fugly.

I think if they lost the glass connections between the towers and kept them as three separate towers, the project would look far less like it belongs on I-Drive (as accatt noted), and I would like it a helluva lot more.

B) Updated images of Ridgely Manor

concept-model02.jpgconcept-model01.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it. It may look a little hotel-ish, but man is that thing HUGE. It will go a long way towards helping fill in midtown. I think the look is pretty distinctive. I am a huge fan of the Vue, Paramount and 55W designs, and while I dont like this as much, at least it is different. I like variety.

I'm torn. On one hand, I think it's a great site for something of that magnitude, and it could help breathe new life into a somewhat blighted portion of downtown. On the other hand, I think it's fugly.

I think if they lost the glass connections between the towers and kept them as three separate towers, the project would look far less like it belongs on I-Drive (as accatt noted), and I would like it a helluva lot more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we Orlandoans have gotten picky about the designs of the massive 400+ foot highrises we're getting. B)

I guess we Orlandoans have gotten picky about the designs of the massive 400+ foot highrises we're getting.  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh..yeah, I'll admit that I'm a little spoiled now by all of the proposed projects. Add to that a little frustration from things taking so long to develop, with few cranes in the sky.

I just called the Sentinel. They have heard discussion about it, but as per other members' posts, it hasn't been sold yet and nothing has been recorded with the city. They don't know much about the project but are looking into it. Hope we'll read more about it soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO, it's very difficult putting high-rise residentials in an urban core that traditionally has high-rise office space. The two types of buildings have different purposes and will look different. It looks I-Drivish because it's not an office building. The same can be said about 55W. The Vue has escaped this by not having balconies, but a lot of people want balconies on their condos. I think for a residence, this looks great.

IMO, it's very difficult putting high-rise residentials in an urban core that traditionally has high-rise office space.  The two types of buildings have different purposes and will look different.  It looks I-Drivish because it's not an office building.  The same can be said about 55W.  The Vue has escaped this by not having balconies, but a lot of people want balconies on their condos.  I think for a residence, this looks great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with your points up until the I-Drive part. I said it reminds me of an I-Drive project (though honestly more Las Vegas) mostly because of the layout, scale, and design. The rendering on the right makes it look a lot like the hotel on the corner of Universal Blvd. and Sand Lake Road-- the one that started off as a failed office construction project and was later joined to a second tower to make it a hotel.

The View, however, does have balconies and I think it pulls them off really well, at least in the renderings. As far as Ridgley Manor, I'll probably come around and proclaim my love for it after some more colorful renderings come out showing it in its surroundings.

Ever been to NYC? They have plenty of highrises with balconies that don't look I-Drive-ish. But I suppose this Ridgley Manor is attempting to be a 1920 Second-Empire highrise, and all you have to do is look at Atlanta and Houston to know that these designs fail miserably. Sad but true.

I agree w/ the Vegas look. It was the first word to come to my mind once I saw the rendering. It doesn't seem to interact well on the street level at all. I think that's the designs main flaw. I hope this design isn't final. I don't really mind the glass or anything else... not great, but I think it'd look decent from a distance. I'm still thankful that a project of this scale is going up at that particular location, it can bridge the large gap between downtown & midtown.

Archived