Rhode Island Commuter Rail Proposals

Cotuit

• 2 months later...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to the evil Twitter, I saw this report from IBM (PDF download) on building a smarter rail system. I didn't read it all yet, but here's the intro:

Global demand for rail services continues to outpace available capacity and infrastructure, while aging systems and traditional business practices limit tangible responses to address the problem. Rail executives are being presented with a mandate by society to build rail systems that are smarter. By embracing new and existing technologies to acquire, associate and analyze information across the rail network and using that information to become more efficient and effective, they can create a more responsive and agile operating environment.

Introduction

The global rail industry in 2009 and beyond will struggle to meet the increasing demand for freight and passenger transportation. While it is natural for business to brace itself during difficult economic times, this is actually the antithesis of what rail executives need to be doing today. Now is the time to invest in creating real innovation for an industry that needs to launch itself forward to meet the needs of the twenty-first century.

The rail industry is not immune to recent global challenges, such as the crisis in the financial markets, the slowdown in the manufacturing sector across many industries and shifts in global trade. These issues show that the world has become hyper-connected, economically, socially and technically. We now have a set of complex interrelated global systems, which are making the world smaller.

However, while the world is becoming smaller, it is also becoming smarter. Intelligence is being infused into every system and process that creates, sells and moves products and people, and delivers services.

BTW, this Twitter user is a wikkit smaat oil industry analyst. Big advocate for public transit.

• 5 months later...

Massachusetts announced yesterday an agreement between the MBTA and CSX to provide commuter service to the western and southeastern parts of the state.

If this can happen next door why not in RI. This sounds like a blue print to use to match up RIPTA and P&W for commutter service from Woonsocket to Westerly.

Massachusetts announced yesterday an agreement between the MBTA and CSX to provide commuter service to the western and southeastern parts of the state.

If this can happen next door why not in RI. This sounds like a blue print to use to match up RIPTA and P&W for commutter service from Woonsocket to Westerly.

Do you have a link referencing this?

Nevermind:

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_ev...onth=&year=

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NK Standard Times 1/Commuter rail service development is still on track "

10/10: "http://www.ricentral.com/content/view/205284/237/

Looks like construction at Wickford Junction is scheduled to start in May.

It would seem to make sense that when the Warwick station is opened next November, the Wickford Station would be ready soon after.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody know why they chose Wickford as a stop over Quonset? Doesn't it seem like Quonset would be a better choice given all the development thats supposed to happen there? The Wickford site is just a Walmart and isn't even within walking distance to Wickford itself.

Ummm, the Wickford site is on the direct North South rail line, Quonset is about 3/4 of a mile East on a spur. I don't think they want a commuter rail on a spur. It would be interesting if the State could do more with Quonset than a strip mall, Lowes, Kohls and a Dave's Market then maybe a light rail line to and from Quonset to Wickford would be a wonderful idea.

• 2 months later...

Ummm, the Wickford site is on the direct North South rail line, Quonset is about 3/4 of a mile East on a spur. I don't think they want a commuter rail on a spur. It would be interesting if the State could do more with Quonset than a strip mall, Lowes, Kohls and a Dave's Market then maybe a light rail line to and from Quonset to Wickford would be a wonderful idea.

Maybe some rebuilt PCC's like the Ashmont line in Mattapan!

• 1 month later...

PBN: "Five Questions With: Michael P. Lewis"

http://www.pbn.com/stories/52094.html

partial text:

"PBN: There has been talk about extending MBTA service down to South Kingstown and Westerly and perhaps even Connecticut. What’s the potential for that to happen?

LEWIS: We are very excited about the extension of South County Commuter Rail, and view service to Warwick and Wickford as the first phase of expanded commuter rail in Rhode Island. As we work toward construction and commencement of service, we are studying other future stops in Rhode Island. We are currently conducting a feasibility study which includes a site assessment and operational analysis for potential service to Kingston and Westerly. In addition, future intermediate stops are being considered in East Greenwich and Cranston, and at the ground-breaking ceremony for Wickford Junction, FTA Administrator Peter Rogoff announced new funding for preliminary engineering and environmental reviews for a station in Pawtucket.

With respect to extended service into Connecticut, we have had informal discussions with the Conn. Department of Transportation regarding future extension of Shore Line East trains into Rhode Island. The aforementioned study will also examine this possibility in further detail.

It should be noted that development of new commuter rail stations is a long process when using federal funds. Even at the conclusion of the study process, considerable planning, design work and construction would be needed to make additional stations a reality. We’re optimistic about being able to expand commuter rail in the future, but don’t want to create an impression that this will happen in the short term. Our priority now involves this new service to Warwick, and late next year to Wickford."

• 6 months later...

Recently the MBTA has acquired trackage rights between Worcester and Ayer, Ma. This would give Worcester residents access to Fitchburg and North Station by train. I don't know the route, but it is probably along the old ROW of the Worcester, Nashua and Portland Railroad. This should spur interest in connecting Providence with Worcester by rail.

• 1 month later...

Recently the MBTA has acquired trackage rights between Worcester and Ayer, Ma. This would give Worcester residents access to Fitchburg and North Station by train. I don't know the route, but it is probably along the old ROW of the Worcester, Nashua and Portland Railroad. This should spur interest in connecting Providence with Worcester by rail.

I can only wish for passenger train service between Providence and Worcester - it's likely that my company is moving to Worcester in the fall, and I don't think the freight train is a viable commuting option for me - as much as I don't want to drive... is there really a potential of having PVD-Worcester train service?

• 1 year later...

How do we get that to happen? Of all the potential routes out there this would seem like one of the easietst to implement. The track from Central falls to Worcester is owned by the P&W, and is in good shape. The P&W is not anti-passenger train. And, I believe they have rights over the NEC since they are the remnants of the old New Haven. This I think would mean they could run passenger service further south to Providence and the airport. I would love to be ble to live in Providence and work in Worcester. And if they inluded frequent enough train service (unlike the MBTA) it would provide a great airport link.

Archived