Rhode Island Commuter Rail Proposals

Cotuit

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love for P&W to team up with the effort in Woonsocket to get commuter rail service up there. P&W could run the line from Worcester down into Providence and they could work with RIDOT and the MBTA to allow transfers and such to the southern line to TFG and eventually Westerly and the other stops proposed.

I'd love for P&W to team up with the effort in Woonsocket to get commuter rail service up there. P&W could run the line from Worcester down into Providence and they could work with RIDOT and the MBTA to allow transfers and such to the southern line to TFG and eventually Westerly and the other stops proposed.

The only way I think to get a commuter rail in Rhode Island, that makes more stops than PVD, is basically to have a transfer somewhere whether it is Woonsocket, or Providence, but you would need to have a transfer, because the commute is already ridiculously long.

Rather than transfers, I would want the Worcester and/or Woonsocket originating trains to continue to both T.F. Green and the Quonset Point Industrial Park. The third track from the Harbor Junction to Quonset is almost complete. Using that track for commuter service also would would really give us our money's worth on the building of that track.

To answer another question P&W can run passenger trains on the Northeast Corrider, but they would have to pay Amtrak which controls, but not necessarily runs, all pax service on these tracks. The P&W already does special charters and has a great car set, which can be seen on their web site. With subsidies, I think they would be willing to try pax service. Esp, if they could upgrade their trackage at someone elses expense.

If the MBTA were to extend their Franklin line into Woonsocket, I think they should extend it all the way to Route 5(Slatersville). This would give Bryant University and Fidelity a chance to run shuttles on their own or thru RIPTA.

Mark

Frankie posted a link to a website that had the biggest employers in Providence. One would think that any successful future mass transit and rail options for Providence would try to get people as close to these destinations as possible:

Largest employers (2004) Number of employees

Rhode Island Hospital 5,853

Brown University 4,450

U.S. Postal Service 4,000

Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island 2,640

Miriam Hospital 1,993

Bank of America/Fleet Bank (Providence only) 1,725

Verizon 1,400

Roger Williams Medical Center 1,340

Johnson & Wales Uninversity 1,200

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island 1,198

Providence Journal Co. 1,100

Considering Women and Infants is on the RIH campus, that makes 8,500 workers there. Any thoughts on how you would structure light rail to get people to high density places like the hospitals and post office?

- Garris

Considering Women and Infants is on the RIH campus, that makes 8,500 workers there. Any thoughts on how you would structure light rail to get people to high density places like the hospitals and post office?

- Garris

Isn't the Post Office that huge white fan lookin building right near the Northeast Corridor?

- Garris

Now would be a good time, to try and get that passed for the commuter rail, just because of all the construction in the city it seems it would be easier to incorporate a commuter rail. If anyone agrees?

Isn't the Post Office that huge white fan lookin building right near the Northeast Corridor?

It is, but it's quite a hike from the train station. Light rail to that area would probably be a nice solution.

- Garris

PS: I believe that building is pretty architecturally significant. One of the few buildings out there loosely influenced by the late TWA terminal at Kennedy Airport.

TWA terminal

twa.jpg

Post Office

PC-Providence-PO.jpg

It is, but it's quite a hike from the train station. Light rail to that area would probably be a nice solution.

- Garris

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, they could use one of the many tracks alongside the NE Corridor.

Has any one used the PVD station latley. That building could use a bit of renovation... maybe it needs to start over!

? What's wrong with it, it seems practically brand new inside.

- Garris

There actually is a rail line that goes right up to the main post office building. It comes off of Amtraks line and crosses West River street right down the street from Stop & Shop. The PO hasen't used it in years, but the company next door (Quebor) used it before it went out of business several years ago. But the tracks are still there.

it needs more benches.

And a mop dragged through it. And routine maintenance on the escalators. And the platform area could use some brightening up. And a ticket window for the T, buying tickets at the cafe is beyond stupid! And the pavement in the courtyard is all cracked. And retaining walls around the exterior are crumbling. And it needs better bike parking. I'd hate to see such a young building come down, but it really should have been twice as large.

the street side of the building is blah too.

Gaspee Street side? Yes, I was going to add there needs to be a better place to park facilities and Amtrak Police vehicles. Too many park along the front of the building on the sidewalk along Gaspee. There was talk of expanding parking as part of the TIF, so hopefully employee and service vehicle parking would be included.

yes, Gaspee Street. It's a giant concrete expanse. They could spruce it up with some large ornate rectangular tree planters with benches and summer vendor alcoves to create more of a set-back side walk and widen the street to make a large bus/taxi lane directly in front of the station doors. A small employee parking lot could be created on the northwestern side of the station with a small access road to Gaspee. The inside seems drab at times too. It should be molded into a mini-travel mall with better travel sevices. Its been a while, but I only remember one or two limited food concessions and a small convenience type store. There should be a shoe-shine and a variety of small food offerings instead. A welcome/info center of some type would be nice too (didn't see that if there is one already).

Also, who provided the concrete for the city side terrace at the train station? I've never seen such crumbly short-lived concrete in my life. Someone should pursue the contractor on that one. It is embarrassing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived