Rhode Island Commuter Rail Proposals

Cotuit

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attleboro didn't want Bostonians taking the train to Providence Place and in doing so, bypassing their mall.

In exchange for building a layover facility in Pawtucket, Providence will be getting the same level of service as Attleboro starting sometime in December I believe, including weekend service.

Attleboro didn't want Bostonians taking the train to Providence Place and in doing so, bypassing their mall.

In exchange for building a layover facility in Pawtucket, Providence will be getting the same level of service as Attleboro starting sometime in December I believe, including weekend service.

Oh thank god...the sooner the better.

I actually really like the train...it just needs a few more trains in off-peak times to make it really useful. I'd totally use it to go to red sox games, but the night schedule is just a little off...

Oh thank god...the sooner the better.

I actually really like the train...it just needs a few more trains in off-peak times to make it really useful. I'd totally use it to go to red sox games, but the night schedule is just a little off...

And it's much cheaper than Amtrak! It's been a while since I checked, but how does Bonanza/Peter Pan Bus Lines compare to the MBTA?

The Pilgrim Partnership between MBTA and RIDOT I think is a really good example of interstate planning cooperation. Just wait til we get service to the airport and Wickford Junction, the MBTA has basically said we can have whatever stops or schedule we want, just as long as it fits with them and we pay them to run it.

Tip for Sox Games-Drive to Quincy Adams Sta. Take 95 north to 93 north and when it splits with Route 3, go Route 3 to Exit 18- Follow T Signs- Plenty of Parking, just hop on the red line- theres a train every 10 mins or so, then switch to Green at Park Street, get off at Kenmore- you are at Fenway- NEVER drive 93 to Fenway

Tip for Sox Games-Drive to Quincy Adams Sta. Take 95 north to 93 north and when it splits with Route 3, go Route 3 to Exit 18- Follow T Signs- Plenty of Parking, just hop on the red line- theres a train every 10 mins or so, then switch to Green at Park Street, get off at Kenmore- you are at Fenway- NEVER drive 93 to Fenway

Thanks for the tip...

but I personally try to avoid 93 AND the greenline at all costs...

usually I drive up through Dedham and the Jamaicaway and park in Brookline.

If the train went from Providence at the right time, it would be PERFECT...one seat ride to Back Bay and 10 minute walk. when it works, it really is perfect, and I don't have to spend a second in my car or a crowded greenline train.

Thanks for the tip...

but I personally try to avoid 93 AND the greenline at all costs...

usually I drive up through Dedham and the Jamaicaway and park in Brookline.

If the train went from Providence at the right time, it would be PERFECT...one seat ride to Back Bay and 10 minute walk. when it works, it really is perfect, and I don't have to spend a second in my car or a crowded greenline train.

Is there a "secret" way to conveniently go to Boston and avoid traffic and parking? Is there a station or stop to park at and then take the train in? Just like how many people from here who want to go to NYC and not deal with the hastle of parking and traffic just go to New Haven or Stamford and take MetroNorth into Manhattan?

- Garris

Well until we get weekend service here, you could park in Attleboro, there's lots of RI plates in the Attleboro lots most mornings. You could also drive up 95 to 128 and park at Route 128 Station, you have to stay on 95 north at the split (left rather than right), then it's the first or second exit on 128/95. Service is a bit more frequent than Attleboro, as there is a split at Stoughton, so two lines serve 128.

Best obviously would be a subway station, and there isn't one conveniently located on the way from Providence that allows you to avoid traffic. You can get the redline at Braintree or Quincy Adams, but that entails taking 93/128 all the way to the Braintree Split, which can often be it's own nightmare. Or you can get the greenline at Riverside, but that means taking 128/95 north almost all the way to the Pike. Or you could do what eltron does, and take the VFW, but instead of going all the way into town, park at Forest Hills on the orangeline, but at that point, you might as well drive all the way into town.

The best way is definitely to just hop on the commuter rail from S. Attleboro. I always park in the shopping plaza and don't pay. Or if its not the weekend, park at the State house and take it from Providence (or just walk). Or if you wanna actually drive there, on the weekend park at the Rennaisance parking garage on columbus Ave (part of NE's campus), its only ten dollars for the whole weekend. Or you can park at the Wentworth college visitors lot and pay nothing, and they wont tow you.

• 1 month later...

Great article. I like the lady that pointed out that her two hour commute wasn't really a waste of her time, since she could spend it knitting or whatever.

Ari's in there too!

The so called "reversed commuter" to Providence has picked up also. Approx. 175-200 pax came in every morning. I have taken the train to Mansfield a number of times on the commute trains and anywhere from 20-40 pax are picked up during the non commute hours back into Providence. I have talked to the conductors and 25-40 pax get on at Attleboro each morning. Providence is just on the edge of showing that mass transit can work here. Nonw if the powers that be could just pick up on it. The Mayor of Providence seems to want nothing to do with it. He has repeatedly stated that mass transit is a RIPTA(State) thing, not a city of Providence concern. He needs to realise that mass transit is an economic generator!

Mark

Hasn't Cicilline been advocating expanded mass transit for a while now? I remember reading articles where he stated that Providence needs to look into light rail.

He has mentioned light rail in connection with the 20 year plan. What the city needs is an advocate for improved daily service within the city limits. The trolley service which ran every 12-15 minutes is being downgraded to 20 minute service and shorter hours. This is a service with 800000 yearly pax and most of thm are riders who never used RIPTA before. Where is the city demanding that this service and others need to be improved rather than reduced?

Mark

I agree that Ciccilline is a big transit advocate, but that he has also dropped the ball on recent service cuts that directly affect the city proper. Although, Ciccilline isn't really good at chest-thumping about what he's doing (like his predecessor was), he may well be lobbying behind the scenes but losing the fights.

He certainly has a vision for transit in the Greater Providence area, but he is seemingly losing sight of the immediate needs of today's commuters.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived