Rhode Island Commuter Rail Proposals

Cotuit

is the MBTA going to operate this service?

Yes.

The article talks about 8 weekday roundtrips (no weekend service). However, there was something earlier about the number of Providence runs increasing to match South Attleboro (the schedule would change so that all South Attleboro trains go to Providence), including weekends. I hope that's still the plan.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

The article talks about 8 weekday roundtrips (no weekend service). However, there was something earlier about the number of Providence runs increasing to match South Attleboro (the schedule would change so that all South Attleboro trains go to Providence), including weekends. I hope that's still the plan.

OK. I'm confused a little about this service. If the MBTA is going to service this line, then why is the state of RI going to buy the rail cars?

OK. I'm confused a little about this service. If the MBTA is going to service this line, then why is the state of RI going to buy the rail cars?

Because we have to pay our share. Actually, MBTA doesn't run it, MBCR does, under the MBTA banner.

That's the deal, we buy the cars and build layover facility, then we pay them to run the trains. MBTA has expressed in the past that, basically, if we are willing to pay, they will run trains to wherever and stop wherever, pretty much anywhere north of Kingston. So Pawtucket (despite being so close to S. Attleboro), Cranston, and East Greenwich are very likely once Warwick and Wickford Junction are up and running.

That's the deal, we buy the cars and build layover facility, then we pay them to run the trains. MBTA has expressed in the past that, basically, if we are willing to pay, they will run trains to wherever and stop wherever, pretty much anywhere north of Kingston. So Pawtucket (despite being so close to S. Attleboro), Cranston, and East Greenwich are very likely once Warwick and Wickford Junction are up and running.

Without weekend service I am beginning to have doubts about the necessity of an airport stop. Yes, Warwick does need a stop, possibly two. But who will use it to the airport from Massachusetts or even Rhode Island without weekend service? Many riders are college students who need mass transit. How will they be able to fly out of Green without knowing they can return home thru the same airport on a Sunday? Eight trips is a good beginning, but to make this really work there needs to be a set hourly schedule.

Mark

Business travellers will use it, and it will also be used by college students during the week. A lot of them fly during the week, and if one part of their trip is during the weekend, than that's one cab ride instead of two.

..without weekend service I am beginning to have doubts about the necessity of an airport stop.

MBTA weekend service would help. But I think part of the TF Green station plan was to lobby Amtrak for a Warwick stop so in the meantime at least the intercity trains would stop at Green on weekends. Also, I remember from doing my time on the MBTA from Providence that there were a significant number of Rhode Island commuters from south of Providence - some even from South County. Most drove to South Attleboro to park because of the ridiculous parking prices in Providence. If the Warwick station has a favorable parking plan I think the majority of those riders would prefer to park and ride from Warwick. This would definitely have a positive impact on Providence area traffic.

in the meantime ripta could improve its bus service to the airport, sometimes you have to wait 2 hours for one bus and other times 2 buses are scheduled to arrive/depart tf green within 3 minutes of each other.

i agree weekend service is important, this is more than just a commuter line into providence

in the meantime ripta could improve its bus service to the airport, sometimes you have to wait 2 hours for one bus and other times 2 buses are scheduled to arrive/depart tf green within 3 minutes of each other.

i agree weekend service is important, this is more than just a commuter line into providence

If somebody can dig up yesterdays editorial on transit, it is well worth it. A rather long piece, but none the less, it digs deep for a North East Rail way that would be on par with that of Europe. While much of it concerns with better connection between boston - nyc, it also points out that nyc keeps pushing more business to NJ b/c conn... prov.... and boston.... are just not properly connected. Any way i dont have time to grab it so if any one could that would great.

If somebody can dig up yesterdays editorial on transit, it is well worth it. A rather long piece, but none the less, it digs deep for a North East Rail way that would be on par with that of Europe. While much of it concerns with better connection between boston - nyc, it also points out that nyc keeps pushing more business to NJ b/c conn... prov.... and boston.... are just not properly connected. Any way i dont have time to grab it so if any one could that would great.

There's a thread about New England regional transit in the main Northeast Section. The editorial is linked twice, it appeared recently in the Hartford Courant as well as ProJo.

• 2 months later...

I just heard from an old colleague that the Scope of Work for Phase II of the RI Commuter Rail service has just gone out. This is an operations plan and site assessment for service and stations at Cranston (between Park, Wellington and Elmwood), East Greenwich, Kingston and Westerly. The scope had a section to investigate the Cranston site for LRT or BRT as well, but I'm not sure if this is still included. I'll try and find out and then post here.

RI Commuter Rail Extension Phase II Scope of Work

Scroll down to Page 8 to read the actual scope (authored by yours truly), especially interesting is Section III: Fixed Transit Feasibility Analysis: Providence to Cranston. This is the LRT/BRT analysis I had mentioned to the Cranston site (Elmwood, Park and Wellington) with a possible extension to the Pastore Center.

RI Commuter Rail Extension Phase II Scope of Work

Scroll down to Page 8 to read the actual scope (authored by yours truly), especially interesting is Section III: Fixed Transit Feasibility Analysis: Providence to Cranston. This is the LRT/BRT analysis I had mentioned to the Cranston site (Elmwood, Park and Wellington) with a possible extension to the Pastore Center.

This is awesome. Not to sound like a YIMBY, (yes in my...)but the Cranston site is a couple of blocks from my house. I'd love to see this sooner than later.

This is awesome. Not to sound like a YIMBY, (yes in my...)but the Cranston site is a couple of blocks from my house. I'd love to see this sooner than later.

You shouldn't be afraid to classify yourself as a YIMBY. In an urban environment rail-based transit is a good thing.

I also love the fact that RIDOT is looking at feeding RIPTA into the train stations - I was hoping they would do that. I'm assuming RIPTA will be making lots of changes to the Kent County routes when the Airport station opens. I'd like to see the route 2 line extended to Cardi's and up to the Mall areas with 'crossing' buses that run up and down 117 and 3 into Coventry. The route 117 (Arctic) and route 3 buses could continue to the airport via Apponaug & Cowesset and since they both cross route 2, you could transfer to anywhere up and down route 2 and vice versa - and all point could get to PVD and the train to the city.

since they both cross route 2, you could transfer to anywhere up and down route 2 and vice versa - and all point could get to PVD and the train to the city.

They'd need to ensure that there are comfortable and attractive bus stops at the Route 2 crossing. There doesn't need to be an entire transit facility, but the stops need to have well designed shelters at the least, and good signage on which bus goes where and which bus stops serve which destinations, so that when people attempt to transfer, they know where to go. A sign nailed to a telephone pole won't cut it.

They'd need to ensure that there are comfortable and attractive bus stops at the Route 2 crossing. There doesn't need to be an entire transit facility, but the stops need to have well designed shelters at the least, and good signage on which bus goes where and which bus stops serve which destinations, so that when people attempt to transfer, they know where to go. A sign nailed to a telephone pole won't cut it.

I agree - the Stop and Shop plaza at the corner of routes 2 & 3 could easily support a nice 'covered curb' of sorts - there is lots of room in that plaza for something modest.

The corner of 117 and 2 would need to use the lot where TGIF & Boston market are - again - should be plenty of room out by the road (117) in the TGIF parking lot for somethig similar.

It sure would make a nice travel matrix for getting around Kent county.

One thing I really wanted to add into that scope under the Cranston section when I was writing it was something along the lines of "The consultant will investigate the feasibility of introducing transit incentives (in the forms of reduced-fare passes, parking fees, parking cash-out, etc. etc.) for all state employees, and their affect on overall ridership...." Of course if I had put that one in I woulda been burned at the stake...

"This is big," he said. "If and when this happens, it will be a boom not just to this downtown but to the entire community and beyond.

Did somebody mean to say "boon" perhaps? :lol:

But nitpicking aside, this is good to hear. The powers-that-be in Woonsocket sound excited about this possibility.

Archived