Northlake Parkway Plan Rejected

DigitalSky

The new Northlake Centre Parkway, now under construction, hit a bump at last week's town meeting. Town commissioners rejected the N.C. Department of Transportation's sketch plans for the portion of the road that falls within Huntersville's jurisdiction.The project must be approved by town officials.

The 1.5-mile parkway, designed to alleviate congestion expected this fall when Northlake Mall opens, stretches from Reames Road in Charlotte to Mount Holly-Huntersville Road in Huntersville. Mall developers are paying for the road. Once completed, the state will maintain it.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news...rg/11475395.htm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it a little late for Huntersville and these people to be complaining?

When the road is already under construction?

I have to be evil...

The guy in the article said his 94 year old mother has been living in the area since she was 15.

Seriously, I don't think she will be living there much longer.

:whistling:

"grandma got runover by a steamroll"...

or was it a reindeer, which would also be plausible if she makes to christmas.

No matter which route this road takes, her lifestyle will not be the same. if they are simply fighting for better access onto the road, it sounds like they might be thinking about property values. I had that notion when i read the article... crying about the old lady, but really fighting for landvalue of his inheretance... but if he really wants to make that old lady's life better, he wouldn't make her drive at that age.

Huntersville did not want the Mall in the first place considering numerous studies that indicated it would be a traffic disaster. Charlotte approved it anyway. Huntersville did not want Rick Hendrick's automall right on its border approved near three major schools and located on 115 again studies indicate it would cause major traffic issues. Charlotte approved it anyway.

Thankfully at least the Huntersville Council will say no to really bad development AND the NCDOT.

So what happens to the road?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The State will make sure its built.

Or, it will turn into a Johnston Road...being built to dead end at 485 (like the other poster said) and then being extended a few years later when Huntersville has a traffic problem.

• 7 months later...

Where does this issue stand? Is it already built, under construction, or was no compromise solution ever devised?

The road stops at Alexander Rama Rd which is the border with Huntersville. The NCDOT make an absolutely horrible interstection where this road connects to Huntersville-Mt Holly Rd that has been a source of constant car accidents since it opened.

As far as I can tell, the Parkway has been completed.

That is the exact path and it simply dead ends onto Alexanderana. It should be noted that AR does not cross I-77 anymore as the bridge is being torn down. So we have a major parkway that just dead ends onto a stub of a road. I don't know why they didn't extend it to HMR, but my guess it comes down to one word. NCDOT. If any organization excels at bad planning, this is the one.

I have not heard much about it in a couple of years, so I don't know. All I remember is that Huntersville did not want to be innudated by traffic from the mall and they seem to have done a pretty good job of insulating the city from it. Maybe that is why the parkway stops at the city limits.

Archived