WaterFire

CtownMikey

Less is better. If you overdo something it becomes old and stale. instead of more lightings, providence should consider alternative venues to bring business to downtown, like farmer's markets, concerts, or things like Scooperbowl and restaurant week in boston.

This isn't necessarily the final schedule right? I would hope for a few more lightings over the summer.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less is better. If you overdo something it becomes old and stale. instead of more lightings, providence should consider alternative venues to bring business to downtown, like farmer's markets, concerts, or things like Scooperbowl and restaurant week in boston.

are you kidding me? every waterfire is packed with people downtown. while waterfire might be old and stale for you, it's obviously not for the thousands of people who come into providence everytime there's a lighting.

what needs to happen is more events coinciding with waterfire, like soundsession does. things like the open market, later hours on westminster st, farmer's markets downtown that take place before waterfire...

thsi onday's waterfire wasn't busy... but it was cold and a partial lighting

I was out there from around 9-11pm. Having a martini on the outside deck of Ruth's Chris with a buddy and we were the only ones there. The bartender at Ruth's was lamenting the fact that it was not advertised at all as it would have been a nice shot in the arm for the restaurant on a Wed night.

Outside seating at Ruth's is huge, about 30 tables. It was a good view and would be nice to see it filled up during a full waterfire...

Some events, I think, could get overdone. WaterFire, on the other hand, is almost a backdrop - the location, almost. It's so basic and so strong that I don't think it really gets overdone. It may become a bit less popular - fewerpeople coming from so far away just to see it, but I still think it works.

I agree with the idea that it has to open up more of the city. I was under the impression that Evans was pretty vigorously opposed to anything like that. But I really think that is the key to making it survive - the outside businesses really are what should be promoting WaterFire and driving interest in it. They should also be invovled with supporting it financially, particularly the mall. Then again, does Barnaby have an interest in seeing WaterFire go on for so long?

i had a small conference here in april. lots of people from around the northeast came, as well as some vendors from farther away. one of the vendors asked me about waterfire. someone had told me he had to see it while he was here (i suggested i would try to schedule a meeting with him some friday when there's a waterfire weekend, so he could see it). the word is still going around that it exists and people are still interested in it from states outside the northeast.

the businesses downtown need to use it to their advantage. i think the open market should be promoting themselves along with waterfire. i know barnaby does not want to see waterfire turned into an economic activity, but it's already that. it's a boom for the restaurants and shops in the city, as well as the vendors involved. i'm beginning to wonder if the city should buy the rights to it from barnaby.

Somehow, I still have a problem with this being "Barnaby's" thing and screw anyone else who wants to light a few fires along the river. Yeah, supposedly it's his creation (as if fires burning on the water is a NEW idea), but it's as if he is going to hold entire cities hostage just for his own promotion. But I think it's even more than that, that someone can own an experience.

i feel the same way. i couldn't believe when i read his trademark. i know i've said this before, but it deserves to be said again... basically the trademark covers any event with fire lit on top of water... so if you had a public party around a bowl full of floating candles, you're violating his trademark.

Did anybody else notice the incredibly good street performer under the tunnel by Citron Saturday night? Anybody know where he's from and if he's a Waterfire regular? I've never seen him there before, but I guess I've never really looked for him either...

Regardless, people were completely engaged watching him. He, alone, added a whole new layer of entertainment to the event for his audience. There is a lot of talent within our city, and I wish that other >good< performers would pick up on what a prime backdrop Waterfire provides...

Did anybody else notice the incredibly good street performer under the tunnel by Citron Saturday night? Anybody know where he's from and if he's a Waterfire regular? I've never seen him there before, but I guess I've never really looked for him either...

Regardless, people were completely engaged watching him. He, alone, added a whole new layer of entertainment to the event for his audience. There is a lot of talent within our city, and I wish that other >good< performers would pick up on what a prime backdrop Waterfire provides...

i didn't see him on saturday, but i have seen street performers under there before at waterfire. was he the same one that has been there in the past?

Not sure - Although I remember performers there in the past, I don't remember him specifically. He was definitely a natural entertainer, though...

what was he doing? i'm trying to remember what i saw down there, but all i can remember was that it was absolutely fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WaterFire threatened by low level of water in rivers.

the river is especially low just on the other side of the mall, by the dean st/pleasant valley pkwy bridge. it never fills the bottom there, unless it rains a whole lot. i would think the city and state would understand the need to have it dredged and the benefits of that.

the river is especially low just on the other side of the mall, by the dean st/pleasant valley pkwy bridge. it never fills the bottom there, unless it rains a whole lot. i would think the city and state would understand the need to have it dredged and the benefits of that.

I'm quite sure that they will do just that, but isn't the hurricane barrier another option? As in lowering the gates in order to preserve a higher tide.

How does dredging fix this problem? Won't we just have the same (small) amount of water in a deeper trench?

Nevermind.

• 8 months later...

Archived