WaterFire

CtownMikey

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

On the conversation of if we need a Waterfire replacement, I think it's more than time. I mean, Waterfire can keep going, say, once a month in the summer, for those people who continue to enjoy it. But I'm not really all that turned on by the pseudo-spiritual music and the accompanying pseudo-solemnity of it. I have been twice in the past 10 years- it was cool, but I don't need to go back, and I think many people feel the same way.

I'd much rather just have the musical performances, street performers, food vendors, and other events that have built up around Waterfire occuring regularly. Why not just have a bi-weekly River Festival, where we can just get together and enjoy the company of the rest of the city, hang out downtown, and appreciate live arts performances? Or a whole series of summer festivals on different themes? I think that would be a good enough excuse to come out for a good time, without it being the whole Barnaby Evans ego-extravaganza. He may have a trademark on the "burning stuff to music" idea, but we certainly don't need that to have a good party. Or do we?

On the conversation of if we need a Waterfire replacement, I think it's more than time.  I mean, Waterfire can keep going, say, once a month in the summer, for those people who continue to enjoy it.  But I'm not really all that turned on by the pseudo-spiritual music and the accompanying pseudo-solemnity of it. I have been twice in the past 10 years-  it was cool, but I don't need to go back, and I think many people feel the same way. 

I'd much rather just have the musical performances, street performers, food vendors, and other events that have built up around Waterfire occuring regularly.  Why not just have a bi-weekly River Festival, where we can just get together and enjoy the company of the rest of the city, hang out downtown, and appreciate live arts performances?  Or a whole series of summer festivals on different themes?  I think that would be a good enough excuse to come out for a good time, without it being the whole Barnaby Evans ego-extravaganza. He may have a trademark on the "burning stuff to music"  idea, but we certainly don't need that to have a good party. Or do we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think your definately missing something at Waterfire. Some people just don't get it. It's like the people I see drive down Ocean Drive in Newport doing 40mph and not stopping. Some people just can't bring themselves to stop and smell the roses. Always something to do, somewhere to go, people to see and places to be seen at. Always in a rush and usually stress out. After all, who wants to see wood burning on the water with somber music. When the people stop coming in cars and buses in the thousands then let's stop Waterfire. Not before.

Aww, why's everyone hating on the WaterFire? I think it's great - it's one of the reasons I moved here, I still go 3-4 times per year, and it's one of the few times I feel the downcity really come alive.

I agree that it's become a Providence institution, in line with the Swan Boats, and should continue as long as it sustains itself.

It's also SO MUCH more that some crazy former RISD students' pretentious art installation. (I actually had that though during the last one I attended - that if you describe WaterFire, it sounds weird and awful, but once you go, you see how wonderful it is.) The Sovereign Ballroom is always well attended and feels like a great street party, the incorporation of Sound Session a few weeks back was excellent, and there's always food vendors on the east side of the canal.

I mention all this because, at the beginning of the summer, I was kind of WaterFire-d out. I'd never found my way south enough to discover the auxilliary things I just listed. The Cape Verean night was probably the most fun I've had in RI this year. But none of that would exist now without WaterFire, and if WaterFire goes, it'll be gone too.

Aww, why's everyone hating on the WaterFire?  I think it's great - it's one of the reasons I moved here, I still go 3-4 times per year, and it's one of the few times I feel the downcity really come alive.

I mention all this because, at the beginning of the summer, I was kind of WaterFire-d out.  I'd never found my way south enough to discover the auxilliary things I just listed.  The Cape Verean night was probably the most fun I've had in RI this year.  But none of that would exist now without WaterFire, and if WaterFire goes, it'll be gone too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes that was a great night. The weather was perfect. So where did you move from?

On the conversation of if we need a Waterfire replacement, I think it's more than time.  I mean, Waterfire can keep going, say, once a month in the summer, for those people who continue to enjoy it.  But I'm not really all that turned on by the pseudo-spiritual music and the accompanying pseudo-solemnity of it. I have been twice in the past 10 years-  it was cool, but I don't need to go back, and I think many people feel the same way. 

I'd much rather just have the musical performances, street performers, food vendors, and other events that have built up around Waterfire occuring regularly.  Why not just have a bi-weekly River Festival, where we can just get together and enjoy the company of the rest of the city, hang out downtown, and appreciate live arts performances?  Or a whole series of summer festivals on different themes?  I think that would be a good enough excuse to come out for a good time, without it being the whole Barnaby Evans ego-extravaganza. He may have a trademark on the "burning stuff to music"  idea, but we certainly don't need that to have a good party. Or do we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me support your position with modifications...Waterfire is a great operation and gives Providence a signiture identity...it should stay. What it needs is to be enhanced and supported by making it a venue for concerts..there are still many older big name groups and some newer ones that would draw enough for Waterplace to handle to the max and provide high quality music - where are the concert promoters and the city on this?? An entire Summer series could be held.

What it needs is to be enhanced and supported by making it a venue for concerts..there are still many older big name groups and some newer ones that would draw enough for Waterplace to handle to the max and provide high quality music - where are the concert promoters and the city on this?? An entire Summer series could be held.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice to get a more youthful component involved in the ancilliary events. A few times a year have a concert at Station Park (not jazz, not ballroom, something the 20-somethings are into).

It would be nice to get a more youthful component involved in the ancilliary events. A few times a year have a concert at Station Park (not jazz, not ballroom, something the 20-somethings are into).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmmmmm I'm not to sure about that. In the past I believe it was either WBRU or WHJY that held concerts there during the summer. But I can't remember if there was any trouble there or at the mall or not. Despite the music, I still see all age groups represented at Waterfire.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=100880

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=103209

I don't see why we are having this debate about waterfire now. The crowds are still coming, from near and far, to enjoy a free and popular public display of art. It's heartwarming to see families, friends, lovers, strangers, couples and groups relax and take in the moment. For those who are tired of Waterfire I say fine, stay away. Barnaby Evans is an artist who's not about to see Waterfire turned into some kind of freak show that you all want to see it become. But I yield that new music needs to be introduced at some point.

I don't see why we are having this debate about waterfire now. The crowds are still coming, from near and far, to enjoy a free and popular public display of art. It's heartwarming to see families, friends, lovers, strangers, couples and groups relax and take in the moment. For those who are tired of Waterfire I say fine, stay away. Barnaby Evans is an artist who's not about to see Waterfire turned into some kind of freak show that you all want to see it become. But I yield that new music needs to be introduced at some point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, and I don't see why they can't have different music playing in different locations. The ballroom crap still seems popular, so keep it but have something different up in Station Park or down along South Water Street.

I like Waterfire a lot, and every time I've been, it has been packed. It will only get better once GTECH and Waterplace are built too.

I think it already appeals nicely to younger crowds as well, (nothing is better than pounding beers at an outdoor bar while overlooking a nicely lit up river with tall buildings in the background) and this could be helped even more with some different music.

For those who are tired of Waterfire I say fine, stay away. Barnaby Evans is an artist who's not about to see Waterfire turned into some kind of freak show that you all want to see it become.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point above was not that Waterfire should end, but that there should be other things going on in the summer along the river BESIDES Waterfire, for people who are interested in something else. Barnaby Evans may be an "artist," but he doesn't have sole right to the River 3/4 of the weekends of the whole summer and Fall.

How does a River Festival or a regular series of summer festivals like I proposed above constitute a "freak show"?

My point above was not that Waterfire should end, but that there should be other things going on in the summer along the river BESIDES Waterfire, for people who are interested in something else.  Barnaby Evans may be an "artist," but he doesn't have sole right to the River 3/4 of the weekends of the whole summer and Fall. 

How does a River Festival or a regular series of summer festivals like I proposed above constitute a "freak show"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently I misunderstood your previous comments. If you purpose musical events along the riverwalk on nights other than Waterfire then yes, let's do it. There use to be a concert almost every Friday night in front of Bella Vista Restuarant, but they've seemed to stop in the last year or two. That was nice because every week brought a different venue of music and it was all free :) I believe Caparts was the sponser.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Waterfire can and should be built upon in ways that don't detract from the original vision but that will provide variety to the night. I love the "ballroom crap" that shows off Turk's Head to great effect and draws people a little bit into the city. We should find ways to keep pulling them deeper into the city. Just past the Turks Head is the Arcade. Open that up and use the confined space to create a busy "fair". Just beyond that is Westminster retail district. Draw people down there with art, dramatic lighting, and music.

In Burnside Park, do something that will make folks want to go to Kennedy Plaza. From there they could go to the ballroom stuff or down to Westminster or to restaurants anywhere. The more we can get people flowing through the city the better.

Maybe add free parking in the jewelry district (or other outlying areas) so people have to do a little walking to get to Waterfire in exchange for easy parking. This could work especially well if Waterfire is extended to the hurricane barrier.

Let Waterfire have the river but lets give the audience a place to go once they have made the walk. There is simply just too much energy in Providence on Waterfire nights to let go relatively untapped.

We should find ways to keep pulling them deeper into the city.

Absolutely. I think it was "Sound Stage" that was going on one night this past summer all over the downtown at the same time as a Waterfire, and the seamless activity and blend of people from the waterfront all the way to Weybosset was fantastic.

It would be nice to see the Waterfire energy leveraged for other events.

- Garris

Waterfire can and should be built upon in ways that don't detract from the original vision but that will provide variety to the night. I love the "ballroom crap" that shows off Turk's Head to great effect and draws people a little bit into the city. We should find ways to keep pulling them deeper into the city. Just past the Turks Head is the Arcade. Open that up and use the confined space to create a busy "fair". Just beyond that is Westminster retail district. Draw people down there with art, dramatic lighting, and music.

In Burnside Park, do something that will make folks want to go to Kennedy Plaza. From there they could go to the ballroom stuff or down to Westminster or to restaurants anywhere. The more we can get people flowing through the city the better.

Maybe add free parking in the jewelry district (or other outlying areas) so people have to do a little walking to get to Waterfire in exchange for easy parking. This could work especially well if Waterfire is extended to the hurricane barrier.

Let Waterfire have the river but lets give the audience a place to go once they have made the walk. There is simply just too much energy in Providence on Waterfire nights to let go relatively untapped.

I was in PVD about 30 days ago for Waterfire and it was great. But imagine if the city could pull together a group/consortium that would combine events on Waterfire nights that encompassed from the mall to the beginning of the Jewery District. Of course, this requires light transportation/parking, marketing, and commitment. But what a nightlife.

Cities like Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville all are looking to achieve it in "weather friendly" conditions and can not equal PVD.

• 3 months later...

If they try and keep it isolated, it is going to wither away. Already has been - look at how few showings they have had.

Yeah, I know. They ONLY had 21 ( one cancellation ) events last year from May to October, down from their usual high of about 25. :whistling: And it's all about the money, as in lack of state and city grants and corporate sponsership. I'm stopping here now 'cause I really don't feel like going down this road AGAIN!!!

Archived