WaterFire

CtownMikey

i love waterplace park...but i dont know...everytime i'm there , i just wish there was soo much more, like if theres a piece missing on a puzzle.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the water fountain in the middle of the basin? Water stopped flowing from there years ago.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the water fountain in the middle of the basin? Water stopped flowing from there years ago.

i think it was discussed here that there was a lot of nasty stuff in the river that was misting into the air from the fountain...

whats with all the graffiti along the riverwalk? theres always been quite a bit along the walkway walls and bridges but now its especially bad and theres even a few swastikas painted on the bridges. i get the sense the city has stopped maintaining the pathway

I emailed the DID to ask what they do and don't do in Waterplace Park. Also how they think the city should be pressured to act on the graffiti problem. It was the DID who pressured the city to get the sidewalks shoveled on the Route 95 bridges.

I emailed the DID to ask what they do and don't do in Waterplace Park.

I got a reply from the DID. Indeed, it is the Parks Department who is responsible for Waterplace Park. The DID has currently suspended it's graffiti removal program. They need consecutive days when the temps are consistently above freezing in order to utlize their graffiti removal equipment, otherwise the equipment freezes up. They also wait until they have a list of spots that need attention so that they can spend two or three days devoted to graffiti removal (it's a process to get the equipment out and ready to go, so they want to do a lot of graffiti, not just get the equipment all primed to hit one tag).

One could speculate that the Parks Department has the same freeze issues with it's equipment, but the DID can't confirm that.

Report graffiti to the Parks Department, if the problems persist, contact your City Councilor.

Report graffiti to the Parks Department, if the problems persist, contact your City Councilor.

The worst thing about Providence graffiti is that it is almost all tags, and the tags are just stupid and boring. These people need to find some trees to piss on instead of marking their territory this way.

Graffiti that shows some imagination and talent can be a boon and enhance a streetscape (at least I think). The craptacular tags that these idiots feel the need to throw up anywhere and everywhere are just annoying.

The 2006 WaterFire Schedule is up and there is one scheduled for Pride night, June 17th. That sound is probably Kurt pulling his hair out.

First WaterFire is May 3rd, and they run through the end of October.

Wow, only 17 this year. Although I'm sure more can be added later. Curious, One Ten is sponsoring one again! Hmmm

Wow, only 17 this year. Although I'm sure more can be added later. Curious, One Ten is sponsoring one again! Hmmm

WaterFire features 16 full lightings [ProJo.com]

Beginning with a full lighting on Saturday, May 13, WaterFire's 2006 season will feature at least 16 full lightings along the Providence riverfront. That equals the number of full lightings from last year and exceeds the tally from both 2004 and 2003. There will also be at least one partial lighting.

The worst thing about Providence graffiti is that it is almost all tags, and the tags are just stupid and boring. These people need to find some trees to piss on instead of marking their territory this way.

piss is actually very bad for trees so perhaps we could encourage people to pee on fire hydrant instead?

thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that there are more braziers in the river and that they are spaced closer together?

I remember last year, when some were stolen, they spaced them out just a tad (and left big gaps here and there as a plea for donations) and completely removed the short stretch of braziers from the Mossashuck river.

Now that they seem to have replacement braziers, they still havent replaced the ones on the Mossashuck and they've spaced the rest so close together that nothing looks right... even the circle of braziers at waterplace is larger, placing the fires closer together and closer to shore leaving a large black hole effect in the middle...

I don't know... something is just bugging me about it all...

Has anyone else noticed that there are more braziers in the river and that they are spaced closer together?

I remember last year, when some were stolen, they spaced them out just a tad (and left big gaps here and there as a plea for donations) and completely removed the short stretch of braziers from the Mossashuck river.

Now that they seem to have replacement braziers, they still havent replaced the ones on the Mossashuck and they've spaced the rest so close together that nothing looks right... even the circle of braziers at waterplace is larger, placing the fires closer together and closer to shore leaving a large black hole effect in the middle...

haven't noticed, i'll have to head downtown sometime and take a look...

i think they should put a large one in the middle of the circle, like maybe 3 times larger than the other ones.

i think they should replace the ones on the mossashuck, although that river doesn't have as many people walking by it, so it's almost pointless to have them there. i hope we see more development near there (like that big open nasty lot next to the railroad tracks).

I would be shocked if Barnaby Evans allowed his braziers to be spaced incorrectly.

Archived