Talk about Urban Sprawl....Thanks Cabarrus County

jb4563

The coutnies surrounding Charlotte will never be urban in a sense that Charlote is urban. If light rail or bust transit ever becomes an option from Charlotte into Cabarrus, hopefully Cabarrus will do the high density zoning around the light rail only, and have extremely low density everywhere else in the county.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats what I meant...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte 112 34.5% 618,000 39.0% 4.5%

Here is Charlotte.  Still doing far better than the surrounding counties, but obviously the smaller towns in the county help Mecklenburg's total even further.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will point out that in shear numbers Charlotte and Mecklenburg dominate in starter homes. They are the true kings. More starter homes are built in Mecklenburg than anywhere else in the region. Add the next tier up on culdesac type development and it is simply no contest.

The cries of spawl really need to be focused on Charlotte and its EJT because that is where the true problem exists today.

Incidentally, this zoning would just be for cabarrus outside of the concord's (and others') city limits, right? Therefore, if there really is growth pressure in that county, it actually serves to improve density within that city, with a far less dense rural surrounding. Adding density to concord will go a long way to supporting future transit and rail options. It also helps make concord a city entity unto itself, rather than being a bedroom community. Concord has a nice downtown, from what i understand, and this could help the city concentrate growth into healthier, denser neighborhoods.

Maybe if I get time, I'll do a table showing starter homes versus total new homes by county. I have no idea what the answer will be there, but I suspect Union will fare better than in my previous comparison.

However, Charlotte no longer allows cul-de-sac communities in most cases, unless there is topography issues. Some of the GDP issues that were removed last year, are being revisted by C-DOT in efforts to increase sidewalk coverage, decrease block lengths, etc.

The problem though in all of this is people's attitudes. Pick up the Whino Times any week and in the "Sound of the Beep" section there are a few residents complaining about how Charlotte's increasing building standards are "outrageous" and that's why they are going to buy in Union or Cabarrus counties......the latest was Charlotte's demand that community roads be built thicker to reduce maintenance costs. Several people wrote that the average ofr $1200 added to the cost of a home was enough to make them live elsewhere......I say good riddance, and I wonder how long it will take them to realize that the cost of gas has eroded their "profit margin" pretty quickly.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, the present sprawling pattern in Cabarrus & other metro counties is inevitable. All the local gov'ts can do is build more efficient roads and somehow incorporate mass transit into these areas. My neighborhood is lodged inbetween 485 & Cabarrus County and the rate of change is phenomenal. Since moving there in the fall of 2002, our leg of 485 has opened...new houses have been built...and more trees are being bulldozed as we speak. But also, there is still a SIGNIFICANT amount of land around my area that is nothing but trees waiting to be bulldozed over for the next development. So, all-in-all, the sprawl situation is not as apocalyptic as most people may perceive it to be.

I know that we all hate sprawl, but the fact of the matter is that it isnt going to go away in Charlotte. We just just concentrate on trying to get everyting within a 4 mile radius of uptown to become a dense core, while the rest of the city can fly loose doing whatever. We need a strong core first and foremost before we can tighten our reigns on sprawl and density issues elsewhere. Once the light rail is open I am sure that growth between uptown and woodlawn will grealy improve.

OK, I am biased because I am not a boomer, but a Gen-Xer. However, here's why boomers bug the hell out of me - not only are they going to sink the social security and medicare systems when they all retire, but because they sure seem to encourage SPRAWL. They all want their huge McMansions and this article lends support:

PARSIPPANY, N.J., April 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Today's affluent Baby Boomers

are not slowing down, and the majority remains "on the move." An online random sampling of 363 certified home sales associates who market luxury homes, found that affluent baby boomer homeowners (ages 40-58) remain an upwardly mobile group.

In fact, more than half of the Baby Boomers (52 percent) who purchased a luxury home within the last two years told their sales associate they plan to spend fewer than five years in their current home. Eighty-six percent of these homebuyers said they have purchased three or more homes throughout their lifetimes. Almost half said they have lived at their most recent residence for a period of only one to five years.

It seems that size also matters to this group. The sales associates indicated that 65 percent of their Baby Boomer clients made their most recent home purchases because they wanted bigger residences. A mere 17 percent were looking to scale down, while another 15 percent were buying a second or vacation home.

The typical size of a recent luxury home purchased, according to the surveyed sales associates, was 4,500 square feet or less with four bedrooms, three bathrooms and a backyard. The overwhelming majority (88 percent) of these luxury homes cost approximately $1 million, while only 12 percent of the sales associates reported recent sales of homes costing more than $2 million. The survey also indicated that 60 percent of these buyers purchased existing single-family homes, while 21 percent opted for new construction and 16 percent purchased condos/townhouses.

"Our survey clearly shows that wealthy Baby Boomers want to enjoy the rewards of their hard work," said Jim Gillespie, president and chief executive officer of Coldwell Banker Real Estate Corporation. "They want bigger and more luxurious homes and want to remain active. They are in their peak earning years, have benefited from many years of strong stock market returns and have built tremendous equity and appreciation in their homes. These factors, along with many receiving inheritances from their parents, are allowing the luxury home market to thrive and it should be robust for years to come."

Know Exactly What They Want

The survey shows Baby Boomers are very particular about what they look for in a luxury home, the types of improvements they want to make to the home and the areas in which they choose to live. Sales associates reported that boomers were most interested in the following home amenities:

Luxury home amenity Percentage indicating interest

Main floor master suite 47%

Three-car garage 44%

One floor home 40%

Home gym 28%

Home theatre 15%

Guest house 12%

According to the sales associates surveyed, Boomers expect to make changes

to their new homes:

Type of renovation Percentage indicating interest

Any renovation 87%

Kitchen 79%

Bathrooms 70%

Backyard deck 28%

Complete renovation 27%

Bedrooms 16%

In the opinion of the sales associates surveyed, boomers want to live in

the suburbs:

Where Boomers purchased homes Percentage

Suburbs 67%

City 21%

Country/rural 10%

Senior community 1%

College town 1%

Gillespie also pointed out that Baby Boomers are indeed the driving force in the luxury home market. Nearly 60 percent of the surveyed sales associates reported that those between 40 and 58 years old accounted for a large majority of their luxury home sales over the last two years. The study was commissioned by Coldwell Banker Previews International and conducted by Zoomerang Research in January 2005. Coldwell Banker defines a luxury home as having a listing price of at least $500,000, priced within the top 10 percent of its market and of

exceptional style and quality.

Coldwell Banker defines a luxury home as having a listing price of at least $500,000, priced within the top 10 percent of its market and of

exceptional style and quality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think CB and I might have a disagreement over the definition.....or at least over standards.

OK, I am biased because I am not a boomer, but a Gen-Xer.  However, here's why boomers bug the hell out of me - not only are they going to sink the social security and medicare systems when they all retire, but because they sure seem to encourage SPRAWL.  They all want their huge McMansions and this article lends support:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just remember this is the same demographic that started the return to the center city in the first place. They started the green movement, the environmental movement, restoration movement, lets make life more simple movement,...... it goes on & on.

I think they are tired of all the movements and have decided to undulge themselves. Since Gen Xers are following in their footsteps there is no reason they wont decide to do the same when their time comes. It is certainly a more materialistic generation.

Just remember this is the same demographic that started the return to the center city in the first place.  They started the green movement, the environmental movement, restoration movement, lets make life more simple movement,......  it goes on & on. 

I think they are tired of all the movements and have decided to undulge themselves.  Since Gen Xers are following in their footsteps there is no reason they wont decide to do the same when their time comes.  It is certainly a more materialistic generation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty soon they'll just be happy to have a movement.

Just remember this is the same demographic that started the return to the center city in the first place.  They started the green movement, the environmental movement, restoration movement, lets make life more simple movement,......  it goes on & on. 

I think they are tired of all the movements and have decided to undulge themselves.  Since Gen Xers are following in their footsteps there is no reason they wont decide to do the same when their time comes.  It is certainly a more materialistic generation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well monsoon, I would argue that some of these you make cases for in your first paragraph, but Gen X-ers are hardly the "follow in the footsteps" types.

Compared to boomers in their heydey, Gen-Xers celebrate diversity and individuality more, are more skeptical of government and corporations (raised during Nixon to Reagan years), are less prone to using drugs and having unprotected sex in their youth (raised during advent of crack and AIDS) and are probably the toughest class of people to target market to, because their tastes are so varied, unlike boomers who tend to follow the flock, don't they? Of course they do...who do you think is fueling this national real estate bubble? The same boomers who fueled the tech bubble several years back. :whistling:

Now we have the little echo boomers to look forward to walking in their parents footsteps... :(

Well monsoon, I would argue that some of these you make cases for in your first paragraph, but Gen X-ers are hardly the "follow in the footsteps" types.

Compared to boomers in their heydey, Gen-Xers celebrate diversity and individuality more, are more skeptical of government and corporations (raised during Nixon to Reagan years), are less prone to using drugs and having unprotected sex in their youth (raised during advent of crack and AIDS) and are probably the toughest class of people to target market to, because their tastes are so varied, unlike boomers who tend to follow the flock, don't they?  Of course they do...who do you think is fueling this national real estate bubble?  The same boomers who fueled the tech bubble several years back.  :whistling:

Now we have the little echo boomers to look forward to walking in their parents footsteps...  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will agree that boomers were too self absorbed to do a very good job at raising their kids as the present result shows. Gen-Xers are much much more image conscious which makes them incredibly easy to market to. The real estate bubble is being fueled mostly by real estate speculators and very low interest rates. Like the tech boom/burst much of the pricing is based on fad and hype, and gen-xers are falling for it in droves. (just like investing in senseless tech stock) And they will get burnt on that one too when this bubble bursts. The one big failing of the boomers was their children and the fact they did not teach them any common sense.

Boomers transformed American society. If you look at the difference between 1960 and 1980 you will be hard pressed to find any period in American history where so much changed. Certainly not in the years since 1980.

I will agree that boomers were too self absorbed to do a very good job at raising their kids as the present result shows.  Gen-Xers are much much more image conscious which makes them incredibly easy to market to.  The real estate bubble is being fueled mostly by real estate speculators and very low interest rates.  Like the tech boom/burst much of the pricing is based on fad and hype, and gen-xers are falling for it in droves. (just like investing in senseless tech stock)  And they will get burnt on that one too when this bubble bursts.  The one big failing of the boomers was their children and the fact they did not teach them any common sense. 

Boomers  transformed American society.  If you look at the difference between 1960 and 1980 you will be hard pressed to find any period in American history where so much changed.  Certainly not in the years since 1980.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Gen-Xers are more image conscious, but in a much less materialistic way than boomers, if that makes sense. I believe our lack of materialism is more of a backlash against boomers than anything else and our desire to be disassociated from them.

Certainly the real estate bubble has been assisted by low interest rates, but it's the boomers who are mostly buying the mc mansions and bidding up the market by buying 2nd homes and vacation houses. I am in my early 30s and in my Gen-X peer group, I don't know too many people who can afford to buy houses over $500K. I, myself, rent. And by the way, most of those real estate speculators are boomers too :)

As far as the tech bust went, we Gen-Xers were the ones creating these vapid paper-thin dot-coms with no real value and questionable strategic plans...it was the management at the big investment companies (mostly boomers) who were BUYING the trash for their portfolios. Not us!! Hell, thank goodness I had no money to invest back then.

The one saving grace for us gen-Xers is that our group is so sparse, there is and will continue to be a huge vaccuum in our age group that should create excellent job opportunities going forward. At least that's what Hot Jobs/Cool Communities says. :rolleyes:

Well, at least we can agree that the echo boom children of today are generally a mess.

• 2 months later...

what do you all think of the Christenbury Hall development in Concord?

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/12119327.htm

Positives:

- building a parkway that would be a parallel to 485 for alternative routes

- saving quite a bit of tree cover for greenspace

- not starter homes

It seems like the area between 77 and 85 in Meck and Cabarrus counties are shaping up to be a higher-end area.

On the one hand, it is negative that any development needs to replace an old family farm, but it seems like there is quite a bit right about how they are doing it. from an 'urban' perspective, i much prefer mixed-income situations as opposed to single-class gated neighborhoods, but given our suburban-oriented world, as least this project attempts to preserve some rural character.

Does anyone have any info/opinions on heydon hall? is it a cul-de-sac plagued neighborhood? Is it a good model for cabarrus to follow? Is connectivity ignored or embraced (other than the gates, of course :) )

It seems like Heydon Hall is not like the virus-inspired typical suburban siteplan. It has a quasi-grid with fairly straight streets. Again, i'm not saying this is urban or ideal, but in the suburban context, it seems like they are attempting some good things.

diffphoto_1.jpg

Heydon_Siteplan.jpg

Interesting looking dubone - the big problem, judging by what appears to be a gated entrance, is that the street grid still only has one outlet, thus defeating the purpose of the street grid - connectivity. Or am I wrong - does that subdivision have multiple entrances?

Archived