Architectural Characteristics

firemick

I wanted to gauge the viewpoints on what you guys would like to see in Orlando as far as architectural characteristics or architectural firm signature styles. The picture by Bic in the Ridgely Manor topic got me thinking about that. I like the neo-classical look, art deco and and i like mansard roofs (green /blue) and i like ornate cornices in the 1920's and 1930's architecture. I also like gothic style arcitecture. Just curious to know what the consensus is. .

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see more retro art deco stylied buildings in Orlando. I think this reflects well on Florida's history and really adds to Florida's urban landscape in a unique way. What I would not like to see is Spanish Revival (and it looks like that hasn't caught on downtown which is nice).

Also, as for mansard roofs and cornices, I definitely love the look, however for it to be successful and not have a faux look, the materials would just be too damn expensive in our current market. That is why I worry about the Ridgely Manor project, because just look at Atlanta or Houston that have plenty of these kinds of highrises. They indeed look fake.

A look that I really like is the craftsman style of the Wellesley.

I like the Wellesley too but I'm not sure if craftsman style holds up well at 300 feet. I have your same concerned about the deco or metropolitan look having a faux appearance ... materials are very important ... but if you do it right it's beautiful. Disney is enough faux for this area. CNL is finding some pretty stone for its facade.

Most of the other cities in Florida are beach cities and that brings with it a certain look. Orlando being land-locked is different and we shouldn't try to look beachy ... we should capitalize on our difference. So, I thing 1920 NY (as long as we have 21st century aminities) is fine.

Traditionally tall buildings in most downtown areas have been offices. I think many people stuggle with how a residential tower looks next to say SunTrust or something. It's apples and oranges. Most of the highrise residentials we are accustomed to are built along the shore so I think we are in new territory here and it's a learning process for us and the architects. North Orange has Daytona Shores written all over it.

Archived