Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

• 1 month later...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the latest on the Watkins Center. It looks as though this thing could be built very soon! Here's a link:

Watkins Center

Damn! This thing could scare the Hell out of Short Pump, Stony Point, C.Town Center, Cloverleaf and even downtown Richmond. Population in the next two and half decades is expected to exceed 400,000 in Chesterfield alone, while Henrico will hit the 350,000 mark; Hanover will have over 150,000 while the City remains static at about 200,000. 50,000 is the figure projected for Powhatan, while Goochland will top out at about 30,000. I guess Watkins Center is inevitable, but I sure hope the result isn't a lot of boarded up retails stores across the area.

Damn! This thing could scare the Hell out of Short Pump, Stony Point, C.Town Center, Cloverleaf and even downtown Richmond. Population in the next two and half decades is expected to exceed 400,000 in Chesterfield alone, while Henrico will hit the 350,000 mark; Hanover will be have over 150,000 while the City remains static at about 200,000. 50,000 is the figure projected for Powhatan, while Goochland will top out at about 30,000. I guess Watkins Cenrter is inevitable, but I sure hope the result isn't a lot of boarded up retails stores across the area.

I hope not either. This is one huge development and I noted the statement, 'large department stores. If done right lifestyle centers can easily pull away shoppers from malls and such close by.

Damn! This thing could scare the Hell out of Short Pump, Stony Point, C.Town Center, Cloverleaf and even downtown Richmond. Population in the next two and half decades is expected to exceed 400,000 in Chesterfield alone, while Henrico will hit the 350,000 mark; Hanover will have over 150,000 while the City remains static at about 200,000. 50,000 is the figure projected for Powhatan, while Goochland will top out at about 30,000. I guess Watkins Center is inevitable, but I sure hope the result isn't a lot of boarded up retails stores across the area.
This project will kill Chesterfield Towne Center. Unless they come up with a groundswell of upscale residents to support second locations of Nordstrom and Saks, they're going to grab Macy's and Dillard's and possibly JCPenney from CTC, thereby rendering that mall dead. Not to mention all the big boxes that will move.

This project will kill Chesterfield Towne Center. Unless they come up with a groundswell of upscale residents to support second locations of Nordstrom and Saks, they're going to grab Macy's and Dillard's and possibly JCPenney from CTC, thereby rendering that mall dead. Not to mention all the big boxes that will move.

Sidebar, Steven: Ann Holton, Virginia's new first lady (wife of Tim Kaine) purchased her innaugeral gown and acroutrements at Saks Fifth Avenue at Stony Point Fashion Park with the help of its resident experts. (Source, story in today's RTD).

Sidebar, Steven: Ann Holton, Virginia's new first lady (wife of Tim Kaine) purchased her innaugeral gown and acroutrements at Saks Fifth Avenue at Stony Point Fashion Park with the help of its resident experts. (Source, story in today's RTD).
She probably used their personal shopping service. Very swank. :)

That's a great store, Burt. I'm very impressed a Saks of that caliber is in Richmond. It, at the very least, rivals the Tysons store.

She probably used their personal shopping service. Very swank. :)

That's a great store, Burt. I'm very impressed a Saks of that caliber is in Richmond. It, at the very least, rivals the Tysons store.

When I was browsing through the store on my last visit I overheard a lady say it far surpassed the Raleigh Saks - and she was visiting from Raleigh!

When I was browsing through the store on my last visit I overheard a lady say it far surpassed the Raleigh Saks - and she was visiting from Raleigh!

Actually I find that a bit surprising. I would think the Raleigh shoppers would be a little affluent than Richmond. Not at all to say that Richmond does not have much affluence but Raleigh has an extremely very educated workforce and wages tend to be quite high in that area.

Actually I find that a bit surprising. I would think the Raleigh shoppers would be a little affluent than Richmond. Not at all to say that Richmond does not have much affluence but Raleigh has an extremely very educated workforce and wages tend to be quite high in that area.

You need to come up and learn a little more about Richmond, Guy. :) It is a very afluent area with a highly educated generally well-paid population. Lots of disposable income here.

One part of the article I do agree with is the need for more residential around Chesterfield TC. In order for the area to survive, it should try to diversify its offerings. Right now, it's almost exclusively retail. Redevelopment can be done right.... I've just yet to see Chesterfield even come close.

The Cloverleaf Mall would be a good area for Residential and make it mixed use as well and I think the old abandoned shopping center across from it should be redone as well and make that mixed use two if the two of those Shopping areas ever get redone it will be great for the midlothian corridor. But who knows how long that could be. Do any of you remember the old Hardware store called Heckangers I remember going in there with my dad when I was a toddler.

The Cloverleaf Mall would be a good area for Residential and make it mixed use as well and I think the old abandoned shopping center across from it should be redone as well and make that mixed use two if the two of those Shopping areas ever get redone it will be great for the midlothian corridor. But who knows how long that could be. Do any of you remember the old Hardware store called Heckangers I remember going in there with my dad when I was a toddler.

Chesterfield is very intent on revitalizing the Cloverleaf property with a diverse mix of office, housing, and retail. Somewhere on here (maybe in the suburban developments section) I started off on proposing changes to that area... though no one seemed to interested in what I suggested or all the bird's eye views I used.

The Eastern Midlothian Corridor has aged considerably. It used to be one of THE suburban places to go. That old shopping center across from cloverleaf used to be not bad. I remember a Kids R Us, Builder's Square (which later became a Roses), Best, A&N, etc... there was also a cool music store called Peach's (I think). Hechinger's was just a couple miles west near the Midlo/Powhite exchange. Hechinger's opened a new store called HQ (remember the "takin' care of business' commercials?) across from where PharMor used to be, closing the Hechingers. Today, the old Hechingers site is a Big Lots and Goodwill store. So much potential... so much competition (i.e. Watkins Centre). I think, even with developments like Watkins, the eastern midlothian corridor could still revitalize, especially if the city was interested in upgraded its portion of Midlothian tnpk.

I remember the name.

If anything that whole stretch on Midlothian should be brought up to date as long as we NEED to do this.

Maybe 'need' was a bit strong? .... Long term though, the viability of that area of the county is IMPORTANT to the county's future. It creates a large stream of business revenue for the county (which is plagued by a tax base skewed too far to the residential end of the spectrum).

By creating a more diverse "neighborhood," I would tend to think that long term, the area would remain successful.

Basically, I think the county should look at the way it develops in a different, more sustainable way.

Chesterfield delays zoning action for Watkins Centre development

"The development plan calls for a lifestyle center, which is essentially an upscale shopping mall, and industrial, commercial and office uses on the site, at state Route 288 and Midlothian Turnpike.

The project is comparable in size to Innsbrook in western Henrico County."

The project is huge.. about 800 acres and will also include thousands of residential units.

Rezoning has been deferred until Feb 21.

I feel like going into an Incredible Hulk like rage whenever I read "lifestyle center." Who coined that? I would LOVE to meet them.

But maybe plans will fall though? Any chance of that?

No chance, Cadeho. Suck it up! :lol: You're in the REAL World now, and it does move apace despite our affection for the past. :)

Retail can fall out though. I heard Banana Republic decided against building over on the peninsula and several other retailers who follow them also decided to do the same.

I have a notion that if negotiations can move forward quickly, the rich backers of Watkins Center will bring in some big name retailers to complement Saks, Nordstrom and the like at the other two centers. The median income in the area is something like $85,000. Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales just possibly could be in the mix. But our friend Steven would have a more dependable rationale if we can prevail upon him to comment. :)

Archived