Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

I have a notion that if negotiations can move forward quickly, the rich backers of Watkins Center will bring in some big name retailers to complement Saks, Nordstrom and the like at the other two centers. The median income in the area is something like $85,000. Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales just possibly could be in the mix. But our friend Steven would have a more dependable rationale if we can prevail upon him to comment. :)
You rang? :)

Watkins Center is going to have to be pulling pretty hard to get a second Saks or Nordstrom in the market. The new locations would cannibalize sales at the existing stores, and success would be limited at best, even with all the new residential planned. In fact, Saks would probably just move from Stony Point if they did do a store at Watkins.

Among players not in the market, Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdale's are probably the best chance for upscale anchors that mall has. NM is very, very picky though, so it's anybody's guess if that mall would pass muster.

I figure realistically we'll see a Macy's and Dillard's, maybe JCPenney if Chesterfield Towne Center starts to drop, and another upscale anchor department store, maybe Bloomingdale's.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burt, is there any development you're against? When it comes to suburbia and the perpetual blood-sucking it does to the city, you seem all for it. What those devlopments do, do nothing for the city. It's a hoot for Chesterfield and Henrico, wherever the projects lay. There are good developments and there are bad developments out there. Not everything should get a green light for the sake of just because. It's great to see a growing city, but not everything planned should come to being.

This isn't a fight. I really want to know. I haven't seen any disgust for any new projects. If I have missed any. I'd like to know. Besides this isn't about coming downtown, although it would be nice than wasting space and gas. It's about there being no need for further development in an already overdeveloped county home to overpampered residents.

Those "overpampered" suburban residents don't really care what's downtown though. Developers covet them for their disposable income and willingness to spend it on high profit mercandise and services, and when they site isues of safety, crime and parking convenience, real and percieved, in where they spend their mone, it's often cheaper and easier for develoipers to accomodate them in greenfields.

That type of customer hasn't shopped seriously in Downtown Richmond since the mid '70s, and now only shows up to the gentrified parts of downtown to drink and impress out of town reidents with how "funky" and "earthy" their town is, only to run back to big box suburbia after their guests say goodbye and head home.

Burt, is there any development you're against? When it comes to suburbia and the perpetual blood-sucking it does to the city, you seem all for it. What those devlopments do, do nothing for the city. It's a hoot for Chesterfield and Henrico, wherever the projects lay. There are good developments and there are bad developments out there. Not everything should get a green light for the sake of just because. It's great to see a growing city, but not everything planned should come to being.

Yes, there are developments I'm against, Cadeho. But I'm a realist and know that suburban growth is going to happen. Strong efforts have been and are being made to bring vitality to the Riverfront, Tobacco Row and the Broad/Grace district. I would like to see Brookland Park Boulevard, Hull Street, 25th Street, Mechanicsville Tpk and Nine Mile Road develop into attractive business corridors similar to Carytown. But am I against Watkins Center, Short Pump Town Center, Stony Point Fashion Park, Innsbrook, Centre Point and West Creek? I would MUCH prefer that all of it were Center City served by a first-class transit system, but no I am not against them, per se. All are attractive and orderly. Do I dislike mile upon mile of strip malls and big box stores, yes.

Steven, I didn't mean to suggest that Watkins should have duplicate Saks and Nordstroms. Rather, I suggested that whatever stores (be it Neiman, Bloomies) would be the big store attractions in the new center. I would hope Saks and Nordstrom would stay where they are! :)

Steven, I didn't mean to suggest that Watkins should have duplicate Saks and Nordstroms. Rather, I suggested that whatever stores (be it Neiman, Bloomies) would be the big store attractions in the new center. I would hope Saks and Nordstrom would stay where they are! :)
I get what you're saying. I think in order to give the retail portion of Watkins some legs, it's going to need something high-profile. Maybe that's where this Bloomingdale's we've been hearing about is going ;)

I get what you're saying. I think in order to give the retail portion of Watkins some legs, it's going to need something high-profile. Maybe that's where this Bloomingdale's we've been hearing about is going ;)

I have a notion that Watkins is doing some high profile lobbying and negotiating to bring in the big boys. And excuse me, but if J. C. Penny is part of it, I don't think it's going to be the kind of life style center that $100,000 a year residents are expecting. They'll stay with Short Pump and Stony Point.

Maybe this will warm Cadeho's heart, but if Watkins builds a Performing Arts Center (as hinted at in their plan) to deflect crowds from downtown's Carpenter Center, this hulk will rage, too!

:yahoo:

But Wilder's committee better shag ass and start construction. The Symphony, The Ballet, The Opera and others will be looking for new venues very soon.

And Millan Rhoads better get their tails moving, too. :lol::whistling:

I have a notion that Watkins is doing some high profile lobbying and negotiating to bring in the big boys. And excuse me, but if J. C. Penny is part of it, I don't think it's going to be the kind of life style center that $100,000 a year residents are expecting. They'll stay with Short Pump and Stony Point.
I think JCPenney and Sears will be staying at Chesterfield Towne Center whatever happens, Burt. They have the two newest anchor stores in the mall and I don't figure they'll be welcome at Watkins for the reasons you cited.

So far, I'm seeing Bloomingdale's, Dillard's, and Macy's as anchors...throw in a Dick's Sporting Goods because they'll open anywhere :lol:

throw in a Dick's Sporting Goods because they'll open anywhere :lol:

Except if it has a zip code of 23223 and 23231. Heck, I don't even think they like Mechanicsville.

And Burt, nothing warms my heart in regards to Chesterfield, the lost county. Perhaps they are better off developing their own little city. They've made their hatred pretty clear for Richmond in the past 30 years. The umbilical cord has been cut, long ago.

I think JCPenney and Sears will be staying at Chesterfield Towne Center whatever happens, Burt. They have the two newest anchor stores in the mall and I don't figure they'll be welcome at Watkins for the reasons you cited.

So far, I'm seeing Bloomingdale's, Dillard's, and Macy's as anchors...throw in a Dick's Sporting Goods because they'll open anywhere :lol:

Steven, I think Watkins is aiming higher, but I could certainly be wrong. :) I LOVE these emoticons. Sometimes they say exactly what's in your mind.!

Yeah Burt, <_<:angry::sick:

Help me understand something. Why is it that when there are rich people, businesses try to sodomize them following them so closely whereever they go. They absolutely need 5 of the same thing within 2 miles of each other in a circle to make sure they have have a place to go each direction they turn. Then they attract businesses as if they will spend a million each outing several times a day and buy repeatedly. How many plasma tvs can be bought by the same people to satisfy an electronics business that wouldn't dare build where people don't have quite as much money but spend so much debt is their best friend? Please, it should be the other way around. Poor people or those not so rich out-spend themselves but they somehow don't qualify as a market. Oh they just attract slummy, shady businesses and let them be happy with the crumbs from the buffet.

I hope the Watkins Centre suffers from shrink-swell soil so badly the buildings crumble within a year of construction. May the roads buckle and people suffer injuries from unstable objects. That is how much I absolutely abhor this place and Chesterfield County. I can't wait until I can find a job outside of its borders and not daggone 30 minutes away from my house eating up all the gas I can afford. Heck, I say raise the tolls on the Powhite to $10 a wheel since the users can afford it. Death to Chesterfield.

Steven, I think Watkins is aiming higher, but I could certainly be wrong. :) I LOVE these emoticons. Sometimes they say exactly what's in your mind.!
Aren't they cool?

Really, as far as quality department stores go, there aren't many more choices. Thay could go for Belk, Von Maur, Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Boscov's, Bon Ton or Gottschalk's. That's pretty much all that's left that isn't in the market.

I'm looking forward to the time Richmond doesn't have to depend on help from fickle, cityphobic suburbanites to support the economy. But for the time being Cadeho is right, plastic developments like watkins center will indeed only serve to slow the City's economic growth.

Help me understand something. Why is it that when there are rich people, businesses try to sodomize them following them so closely whereever they go. They absolutely need 5 of the same thing within 2 miles of each other in a circle to make sure they have have a place to go each direction they turn. Then they attract businesses as if they will spend a million each outing several times a day and buy repeatedly. How many plasma tvs can be bought by the same people to satisfy an electronics business that wouldn't dare build where people don't have quite as much money but spend so much debt is their best friend? Please, it should be the other way around. Poor people or those not so rich out-spend themselves but they somehow don't qualify as a market. Oh they just attract slummy, shady businesses and let them be happy with the crumbs from the buffet.

I hope the Watkins Centre suffers from shrink-swell soil so badly the buildings crumble within a year of construction. May the roads buckle and people suffer injuries from unstable objects. That is how much I absolutely abhor this place and Chesterfield County. I can't wait until I can find a job outside of its borders and not daggone 30 minutes away from my house eating up all the gas I can afford. Heck, I say raise the tolls on the Powhite to $10 a wheel since the users can afford it. Death to Chesterfield.

Leaving the Chesterfield/Richmond thing aside, there is a business reason why businesses follow the rich...THEY HAVE THE MONEY!! Sure, poor people may out spend themselves, but there is a good chance that whatever money they "spend" will not get to the merchant because the consumer really didn't have the money in the first place! It only makes logical business sense to place businesses near people who can really afford to buy things (the rich in this case). If I had a business, I wouldn't place it near a trailer park full of poor people (unless my business catered to that market) because I would be trying to keep my business afloat, not to let it sink because none of my customers can actually pay for my products or service. Also, let me guess...you're poor aren't you? Most people who complain about the rich...why, they are poor and get defensive. If you have a problem with the way things are, then do something to make yourself rich, then you won't find yourself complaining anymore, I promise. I don't mean what I say in a negative way, rather I'm imploring you to do something about it and not just complain. Most of the rich worked their asses off to get to where they are. To me, they should be looked up to and not shunned just because they were smart and worked hard for what they have and finally let their money work for them. That's how we should all do it. We actually can learn a lot from these folks. Get to know one of them...maybe you'll learn a thing or two about how get rich too! ;)

Businesses (at least the national ones you're referring to) locate in places with strong demographics for the type of consumer they are targeting. A nice example? Let's say Thalhimer's is doing the leasing on a new shopping center on 360 in western chesterfield. In their brochure, they list the area's demographics (which are strong) to better attract businesses to their center and the area. They detail income levels in and around the new center. Heck, why was this new shopping center built in the first place? Because the area has a larger amount of expendible income... that means more $$$ for the businesses that locate there. $$$ is why those businesses are in business in the first place. I'm sure steven could explain all this better than I can, but I bet contacting these businesses that make you angry could help as well.

As for the Chesterfield thing.....

While there are certain things I don't like about Chesterfield, I grew up in Chesterfield. When I'm back home from school, I still live in Chesterfield. Why do I live there? Because my parents do. My dad is from Wales. My mom grew up in Henrico, graduated from Hermitage. My grandma wasn't always the best person, so it was my great-grandma that helped my mom get through nursing school. My great-grandma had lived in the city her entire life....after my great-grandpa passed away many years ago, she remarried to a man who had lived in Chesterfield his entire life. That's why they lived there. My mom lived with them through nursing school, moved out, met my dad, and they settled there as my dad became a teacher in CC schools. My family lives comfortably, but we're still middle class. Not everyone in Chesterfield is snobby, nor do they all have money trees in the backyard. So then, why do people choose to live there? 300,000 people didn't choose to live there just to spite the city and its residents. The facts speak for themselves. Whether we like it or not, it offers one of the highest qualities of life in the country (37th or so). The schools rank as some of the highest in the Commonwealth. Compared to its neighbor, it has a very low crime rate. Some of the neighborhoods have been named Best in America (Brandermill, Woodlake, etc). How can one hate people for wanting that? If the city offered comparable statistics, people would flock to it just as they flock to Chesterfield. But the truth is, it doesn't. It doesn't offer the same quality of life. It doesn't offer the same quality of schools. It doesn't offer the same low crime statistics. Don't get me wrong, I love the city. I love the atmosphere, the architecture, the history, the character, etc.... (things the suburbs can only pitifully imitate). I want to live there when I'm out of school. BUT, it's naive to think that people with families should be willing to move to the city to be part of some great social experiment, that people will actually say, "You know, I'm going to exploit my children and my family, increasing their risks, putting them in poorer schools, etc, because it's just the right thing to do to make the city a better place."

I don't think people like my parents should "suffer injuries from unstable objects." You can't hate people for wanting the good life. If you don't like Chesterfield's lack of regional cooperation skills, fine. If you don't like the fact that Watkins Centre won't benefit the city proper, fine. If you don't like the attitudes of some people in Chesterfield, fine (like all places there always arrogant, ignorant people. Even the city has plenty of them). I don't like many of those things either, but you can't hate the residents for it. Hate the county government, the board of supervisors, the planning commission, but not the people that want a safe neighborhood and a good education for their kids.

Until there is REAL, regional cooperation (which all local entities should take part in), there's going to be West Creeks, and Watkins Centres, and Short Pumps. The surrounding counties need tax revenue to offer goods and services to their residents. The more business taxes that can be collected, the smaller the burden is on the citizen taxpayer. Chesterfield is desparately trying to increase their proportion of business tax collections, therefore, it's understandable that the county is so intent on having something such as Watkins Centre. Businesses in turn choose to locate in places like watkins centre as opposed to the CBD because it's simply so much cheaper to set up shop there. Taxes are lower, rates are cheaper, and parking is free.

UNTIL there is better regional cooperation on a wide range of issues, until city schools improve more, until crime is reduced in the city, and until businesses see more benefits to locating downtown than in the suburbs, there IS going to be places like Watkins Centre. Hate our regional leaders for not completing those tasks, but don't hate the citizens for wanting what's best for their families.

And lastly, not many people in this country could or would afford a $40+ toll. You could sure as hell forget about me taking pictures in the city. Plus, if people could actually pay it, the only thing it would do is make the Powhite the best maintained highway in the world. All of the money collected goes exclusively into its maintenance...

Leaving the Chesterfield/Richmond thing aside, there is a business reason why businesses follow the rich...THEY HAVE THE MONEY!! Sure, poor people may out spend themselves, but there is a good chance that whatever money they "spend" will not get to the merchant because the consumer really didn't have the money in the first place! It only makes logical business sense to place businesses near people who can really afford to buy things (the rich in this case). If I had a business, I wouldn't place it near a trailer park full of poor people (unless my business catered to that market) because I would be trying to keep my business afloat, not to let it sink because none of my customers can actually pay for my products or service. Also, let me guess...you're poor aren't you? Most people who complain about the rich...why, they are poor and get defensive. If you have a problem with the way things are, then do something to make yourself rich, then you won't find yourself complaining anymore, I promise. I don't mean what I say in a negative way, rather I'm imploring you to do something about it and not just complain. Most of the rich worked their asses off to get to where they are. To me, they should be looked up to and not shunned just because they were smart and worked hard for what they have and finally let their money work for them. That's how we should all do it. We actually can learn a lot from these folks. Get to know one of them...maybe you'll learn a thing or two about how get rich too! ;)

If I were rich, I'd still complain. I like the idea of equality and I'm not a communist. If you have a business and there are 4 quadrant, you can still make money placing 1 in each area so each sector gets the same service. It doesn't make too much sense to me that there be 15 of the same store within a mile of each other. That is an exaggerated number, but even if rich people have money, it's not guaranteed they'll spend it on things they don't necessarily need to have and do so at a different branch of whatever store each day of the week.

If I lived in the suburbs, I'd still complain. They are no better than anyone else. Better off doesn't mean better than. People don't seem to know the difference sometimes. And even if there are rich people in the city, and there are as well as the well-to-do, these people still have to use up now precious gas to shop, unless they want McDonalds or Chinese food, the only businesses that locate anywhere and thrive. I really think the businesses are prejudiced and too chicken to take a risk. They could be pleasantly surprised.

Then the joke's on them too because they still attract all people. We're not talking about homeless people who can't spend anything, but people with money and a want to spend regardless of how much they make. It won't hurt to tap other markets that are ignored. And even then, passersby stop in too. I don't live in Mechanicsville or off Brook Rd, but if I am in the area and want something, I'll stop in. That happens too. Geez I don't think Garden Ridge is surrounded by millionaires and they seem to attract people out there near nowhere and near a bunch of poor and not-so well off. So don't tell me it can't be done. They just don't want to do it.

And I know rich people. Even if I studied everything they did and worked harder than they did and ended up the male equivalent to Oprah, I'd still call for businesses to grow a pair.

Businesses (at least the national ones you're referring to) locate in places with strong demographics for the type of consumer they are targeting. A nice example? Let's say Thalhimer's is doing the leasing on a new shopping center on 360 in western chesterfield. In their brochure, they list the area's demographics (which are strong) to better attract businesses to their center and the area. They detail income levels in and around the new center. Heck, why was this new shopping center built in the first place? Because the area has a larger amount of expendible income... that means more $$$ for the businesses that locate there. $$$ is why those businesses are in business in the first place. I'm sure steven could explain all this better than I can, but I bet contacting these businesses that make you angry could help as well.

As for the Chesterfield thing.....

While there are certain things I don't like about Chesterfield, I grew up in Chesterfield. When I'm back home from school, I still live in Chesterfield. Why do I live there? Because my parents do. My dad is from Wales. My mom grew up in Henrico, graduated from Hermitage. My grandma wasn't always the best person, so it was my great-grandma that helped my mom get through nursing school. My great-grandma had lived in the city her entire life....after my great-grandpa passed away many years ago, she remarried to a man who had lived in Chesterfield his entire life. That's why they lived there. My mom lived with them through nursing school, moved out, met my dad, and they settled there as my dad became a teacher in CC schools. My family lives comfortably, but we're still middle class. Not everyone in Chesterfield is snobby, nor do they all have money trees in the backyard. So then, why do people choose to live there? 300,000 people didn't choose to live there just to spite the city and its residents. The facts speak for themselves. Whether we like it or not, it offers one of the highest qualities of life in the country (37th or so). The schools rank as some of the highest in the Commonwealth. Compared to its neighbor, it has a very low crime rate. Some of the neighborhoods have been named Best in America (Brandermill, Woodlake, etc). How can one hate people for wanting that? If the city offered comparable statistics, people would flock to it just as they flock to Chesterfield. But the truth is, it doesn't. It doesn't offer the same quality of life. It doesn't offer the same quality of schools. It doesn't offer the same low crime statistics. Don't get me wrong, I love the city. I love the atmosphere, the architecture, the history, the character, etc.... (things the suburbs can only pitifully imitate). I want to live there when I'm out of school. BUT, it's naive to think that people with families should be willing to move to the city to be part of some great social experiment, that people will actually say, "You know, I'm going to exploit my children and my family, increasing their risks, putting them in poorer schools, etc, because it's just the right thing to do to make the city a better place."

I don't think people like my parents should "suffer injuries from unstable objects." You can't hate people for wanting the good life. If you don't like Chesterfield's lack of regional cooperation skills, fine. If you don't like the fact that Watkins Centre won't benefit the city proper, fine. If you don't like the attitudes of some people in Chesterfield, fine (like all places there always arrogant, ignorant people. Even the city has plenty of them). I don't like many of those things either, but you can't hate the residents for it. Hate the county government, the board of supervisors, the planning commission, but not the people that want a safe neighborhood and a good education for their kids.

Until there is REAL, regional cooperation (which all local entities should take part in), there's going to be West Creeks, and Watkins Centres, and Short Pumps. The surrounding counties need tax revenue to offer goods and services to their residents. The more business taxes that can be collected, the smaller the burden is on the citizen taxpayer. Chesterfield is desparately trying to increase their proportion of business tax collections, therefore, it's understandable that the county is so intent on having something such as Watkins Centre. Businesses in turn choose to locate in places like watkins centre as opposed to the CBD because it's simply so much cheaper to set up shop there. Taxes are lower, rates are cheaper, and parking is free.

UNTIL there is better regional cooperation on a wide range of issues, until city schools improve more, until crime is reduced in the city, and until businesses see more benefits to locating downtown than in the suburbs, there IS going to be places like Watkins Centre. Hate our regional leaders for not completing those tasks, but don't hate the citizens for wanting what's best for their families.

And lastly, not many people in this country could or would afford a $40+ toll. You could sure as hell forget about me taking pictures in the city. Plus, if people could actually pay it, the only thing it would do is make the Powhite the best maintained highway in the world. All of the money collected goes exclusively into its maintenance...

See the above post for part of the reply to this.

I do hate Chesterfield for its greed and stubborness to get along with its neighbors at times. I don't hate the residents. I have friends and family who live in the county, so don't take it personally. I'm sorry to have offended you, it wasn't a personal attack. However, the county does not know when to stop. When will it have enough money? The city will forever suffer because it really can't do anything because no one wants to go. In the end, Richmond is only going to be an office park, a novelty for visitors, a college campus, with a few oddity well-to-do neighborhoods like Windsor Farms, while the rest is going to be leveled and left to rot while efforts to educate and improve poverty fail because those people are satisfied as they are. The city may have some gleaming tokens handed to it, but it'll never be glorious ever again. Hooray for history and architecture! That is all the city has going for it. And rightfully so, the counties treat it like ungrateful children sending their mother to the worst nursing home.

But as I said, I give up. Short Pump can become its own city and county seat to Henrico. This Watkins Centre, fine let it deal the final blow. The city is done and all I can do is sit here and wait for the city to demolish my shack so I can live a day in a project before it too is demolished so they can bus me to some other city. Wilder can only do so much with his band-aids, but the gaping wounds in the city's back are too much for the band-aids to work. Thanks for showing me how terrible the city is, I was just in denial.

You guys win, nothing is ever going to change for the city or the region except for the landscape in the "historic" city which disappears faster than I've ever seen. I shall join the majority. I will never be wishful for the city again.

I hope we can still be friends.

Maybe my mother's right. She said she would never live in the city again because everything is subpar and they overtax. My aunts live in Hanover and Henrico. The eldest aunt's husband claims all the time he rescued her from this "greasy" old house and terrible neighborhood. The other aunt sent me to private school because Richmond's schools were nose-diving. Everyone else is better off where they are.

I am totally through.

Cam... I think we are all extremely hopeful for the city. I've never seen it as "an office park, a novelty for visitors, a college campus, with a few oddity well-to-do neighborhoods like Windsor Farms, while the rest is going to be leveled and left to rot while efforts to educate and improve poverty fail because those people are satisfied as they are." I see Richmond's rebirth happening all around us. I see the $billions$ of dollars pouring in. I see the hundreds (maybe even thousands) of new residents. And, I see what Wilder is trying to accomplish as more than simply band-aids. Could it be better if the counties and the city cooperated? Absolutely. Should they cooperate? They damn well better.

With or without the help of the counties, the city is still coming back. It looks way better than it has for decades. The city survived Innsbrook, it's survived Short Pump (which IMO will never be more than a suburbia on steroids), and it will survive Watkins Centre. While Watkins is great for Chesterfield, it's a double-edged sword. I guarantee that we'll see mostly businesses already in chesterfield, further east on Midlothian, moving to Watkins. If anything, I'd argue that even though Watkins will bring many positive things to Chesterfield, it will also be damaging to the county (and more damaging to C-field than it would be to Richmond).

In my opinion, Richmond, even with its Cons, is a better place than Chesterfield a 100 times over. A thousand Watkins Centre's could only dream of becoming what the city is, and what the city will be. I'm from Chesterfield, but I consider myself a Richmonder. In fact, I don't even know what you'd call someone from Chesterfield :) . I love spending hours upon hours in the city, even if I'm just wandering around with my camera. I love the character, the architecture, the progress and construction. I drive the long way home to and from school just to drive by the city and its beautiful skyline (that's another $0.50 BTW :) )...I show the pictures I take to family and friends; not because I want them to tell me how good they look or something self-fulfilling like that. I show them those pictures because they rarely go downtown. I show them a changing city. Trust me, surburban perceptions can change. For a while, they'd just scoff at the notion that Richmond is experiencing a renaissance. Now, most of those people (a generation or more older than myself, and some even work in the city) want me to take them around downtown. We should all be ambassadors of our sacred city.

Stay wishful! Keep hoping and keep dreaming dreams! I can't fall asleep at night because I'm thinking about it all. If we give up hope, then the city really will die. We've made progress in recent years, but there's still tons of work to do. We will create one of the best cities in the world.

Archived