Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

Interesting piece I came across regarding Watkins Centre:

South of the James Blog

The Jan. 30 entry is Dan Gecker's (Vice Chairman of the Chesterfield County Planning Commission) take on the controversial topic...

Check it out :thumbsup:

Whew! you scared me at first, coupe, when that Republican Manifesto was the first thing to come in view. But scrolling down to Dan Gecker (no relation to the little green gegko) was an interesting read.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That graphic (or whatever it's called) is a total mystery to me and makes no sense. I hate Adobe - primarily because I don't know how to access it properly, and takes so damned long to pull up.

It sort of looks like the State Fair midway - Ferris Wheel here, maybe and loop the loop there.

Clarification, please! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at Chesterfield Facts and saw a site plan for a large strip mall.

Now that I see the plans for this, I worry less about the impact on Richmond proper. This has been done before and will be done again in every suburb of every city. Unless they start building highrises out there, divert the James River, and steal some of our historic buildings, nothing done out in plastic land can compare to the real Richmond I've grown to love. If anything, I'm miffed at how they continue to knock down forests to build these gargantuan wasters of space. Don't people like getting out of their cars and having a sense of real community?

Now that I see the plans for this, I worry less about the impact on Richmond proper. This has been done before and will be done again in very suburb in every city. Unless they start building highrises out there, divert the James River, and steal some of our historic buildings, nothing done out in plastic land can compare to the real Richmond I've grown to love. If anything, I'm miffed at how they continue to knock down forests to build these gargantuan wasters of space. Don't people like getting out of their cars and having a sense of real community?

Well on the other side of the James, I think Henrico is planning to divert the James to run past Short Pump and down the Chickahominy. Well they won't have their own St. John's Church since they want to tear down the historic Church they do have. But since they're building the Fan in Short Pump, Va (a non-existent place soon-to-be the new capital of Virginia), they'll soon follow with a not-so-historic, historic district echoing Church Hill. And when they build their own Monument Avenue, all the statues will be of developers!

Well on the other side of the James, I think Henrico is planning to divert the James to run past Short Pump and down the Chickahominy. Well they won't have their own St. John's Church since they want to tear down the historic Church they do have. But since they're building the Fan in Short Pump, Va (a non-existent place soon-to-be the new capital of Virginia), they'll soon follow with a not-so-historic, historic district echoing Church Hill. And when they build their own Monument Avenue, all the statues will be of developers!

Trying to build The Fan in Short Pump?! :blink:

I can picture them now, trying to figure out how to build vinyl-clad rowhouses with 10 yards of grass between each one... :rofl:

• 8 months later...

According to the Times-Dispatch, sources have said that developers of Westchester Commons, the retail component of Watkins Centre, are in talks with Boscov's Department Store as a possible tenant. Others include Regal Cinema, Target, Petco, OfficeMax, Best Buy, World Market and Eastern Mountain Sports.

I'll be pissed if they attract OfficeMax, Best Buy or Target because it will probably mean the closing of those stores which are already located close to Chesterfield Towne Center.

Westchester Commons will have about 1 million sf of retail space.

Also, look for Best Buy to add a 5th Richmond area location at Commonwealth Centre near the intersection of 288 and Hull St Road.

Gilligan's Column

God I wish we had an AMC Movie Theater instead of a Regal we need to have a new Movie Theater Chain here. Plus I can think of alot more better stuff to attract then Target Office Max and Bestbuy. World Market I don't mind though since theirs only one in Richmond which is at Short Pump.

Archived