Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why must there be two in western Henrico? One isn't enough?

By the way, once again I will oppose the model of needing 100,000 people who make $500,000 in a 5 mile radius for a place to be supported. I still believe like field of dreams, if you build it, they will come. I don't understand how Garden Ridge can survive if it weren't for that model. Then, for me, if I desire a certain product, I will go where I can find it, even if it means driving 30+ minutes, although I may not like it. Like for my clothes, the only places I can go for the big & tall stores are on W. Broad and Midlothian. There are no other locations, so I am forced to choose one of the two. If there is a to-die-for sale at Nordstrom, if I lived in New Kent, I have no other choice than to go there. Like with Tower Records, there was only one in the city, and despite the company as a whole going under, but if you liked Tower, you had to go to that one. I hope someone sees what I'm saying. I just don't buy that dreaded term of "critical mass." It's been done many times over in the Richmond area, that if you build something, one something, people will go there.

So why not downtown?

• 3 months later...

I've never been much of a fan of this project, but thanks for the update. In the end, I think the developer will under-deliver on what was originally promised. Watkins will likely merely cannibalize the existing retail options closer to Chesterfield Towne Center, causing the slow decay along Midlothian Tpke to expand westward. Why the county does barely anything to stop the trend is beyond me... but then again I've never had much faith in Chesterfield County when it comes to growth and development.

I get very confused about this place. Is it Watkins Center or Westchester Commons?

First it was going to be upscale with name brand stores not in Richmond and the next I read is that its shopping options will be the big box variety.

Sounds like a southwestern edition of White Oak Village when demographics would suggest a version of Stony Point Fashion Park.

Westchester Commons is the retail component of the larger Watkins Centre.

The difference between this and White Oak Village is that this portion of the county is already served by an abundance of the same retail a very short distance away. White Oak Village fills a void in the east where larger retailers are scarcely represented.

I'd love to see Chesterfield Towne Center upgraded and the vacant land nearby filled in ANY DAY before I see more suburban sprawl crap marching westward.

The closest Boscov's stores to Richmond are in Danville and in suburban Baltimore. The merchandising is similar to Macy's but less upscale, with a heavy dose of general merchandise like furniture, electronics, camera equipment, major applicances, toys, candy, music & movies. They're highly promotional and the prices tend to be really good. Some stores have restaurants, travel agencies, and photo studios.

Archived