Watkins Centre

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

After months of little publicity, Watkins Centre gets serious. See the story by Julian Walker from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...06-29-0088.html

I am still a bit confused about The Shoppes at Westchester Common and what I suppose is to be the really large life style center also with Westchester in its name.

Wonder if they are having success in attracting major retail tenants?

After months of little publicity, Watkins Centre gets serious. See the story by Julian Walker from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...06-29-0088.html

I am still a bit confused about The Shoppes at Westchester Common and what I suppose is to be the really large life style center also with Westchester in its name.

Wonder if they are having success in attracting major retail tenants?

A few weeks ago, I went driving to this land that was previously off my map. I had never seent he Village of Midlothian or the site for Watkins... too bad they want to spoil all that land with asphalt!

Sort of. It will be easier to say once it is constructed. Oh and thank you everyone for agreeing with me, I felt like I had ranted a little too much, but seeing your opinions just confirmed mine even more.

It is true that the state carried the burden of 288, because Senator Watkins wanted the road to go through his property, aside from the fact that the original route went through existing neighborhoods. Would have been better to not build the road at all and built a rail line downtown instead.

Odd you should say that, journi, because there is a rail line directly from Watkins Centre to Vistas on the James (and/or Hull Street Station) (and/or Main Street Station which would require a little track work). Norfolk Southern owns and uses it daily. The long discussed and ignored Trans Dominion Express connecting Bristol to Richmond would use the line.

Aye... I knew of the line ;) I was figuring you would be the first to respond to that. I just couldnt remember the name of it, but thanks for reminding me of it. It would seem to me if that line came into existence, and there were 4 trains a day running back and forth, well that would be quite profitable, especially on race weekends, because you just connected two stops of the NASCAR series to more fans. :dontknow: Why that is so hard for everyone to see, I just dont know.

I suppose you are referring to the TDX when you mention NASCAR fans going to and coming from Bristol. I think of the line as commuter rail between the Watkins Centre area and downtown Richmond.

The TDX plan is (was) two trains in each direction on both segments - Richmond/Bristol and Washington via Charlottesville to Bristol.

What exactly would a Richmond race fan do after getting off the train in Bristol? Rent a car? Take one of the two dozen taxis in Bristol?

Hard to convince somebody to take a train 6 hours only to rent a car once you get there when you could have driven it in 5.

What exactly would a Richmond race fan do after getting off the train in Bristol? Rent a car? Take one of the two dozen taxis in Bristol?

Hard to convince somebody to take a train 6 hours only to rent a car once you get there when you could have driven it in 5.

That would be the reason that Watkins Center Parkway wouldnt be approved, it was part of the road package being done. VDOT had serious issues with the first two submittals... IE the improvements to 60 and 288 were not up to snuff. Rt 60's bridge over 288 has to be expanded 20 feet on either side, and that was left out. If it is back in then things will move forward.

According to Gregg Gilligan's column in today's inRich, Boscov's will erect a store of 180,00 s/f at Westchester Commons. The Pennsylvania-based retailer is in negotiations with developers Zaremba Group and Metropolitan Partnership, sources say.

Other tenants may be Regal Cinemas, a 126,000 s/f Target and a 68,000 s/f Kohl's in addition to Petco, Office Max, Best Buy and Joanne Fabrics.

Stony Point Fashion Park, Short Pump Town Center, and even Chesterfield Town Center must be breathing hugh sighs of relief over the tenant mix planned at Watkins Center's Westchester Commons, though I suspect certain free-standing retailers in the Midlothian district are seething.

According to Gregg Gilligan's column in today's inRich, Boscov's will erect a store of 180,00 s/f at Westchester Commons. The Pennsylvania-based retailer is in negotiations with developers Zaremba Group and Metropolitan Partnership, sources say.

Other tenants may be Regal Cinemas, a 126,000 s/f Target and a 68,000 s/f Kohl's in addition to Petco, Office Max, Best Buy and Joanne Fabrics.

Stony Point Fashion Park, Short Pump Town Center, and even Chesterfield Town Center must be breathing hugh sighs of relief over the tenant mix planned at Watkins Center's Westchester Commons, though I suspect certain free-standing retailers in the Midlothian district are seething.

Archived