CN Tower

daniel18

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there are taller TV antenna towers with guided masts.

I agree that if anything it's 'The World's Tallest Free-Standing Structure.' It is mighty impressive while driving into the city, and it does make a good guideing post when walking around downtown. Whether or not it's #1 this or that makes little difference to me.

I don't see how anyone could consider it the tallest building, seeing as how most of it is just the concrete tower. It is definately the world's tallest structure though.

I know, some idiots at SSP keep on whining that it's the world's tallest building.

• 2 months later...

Yes, its quite visible from anywhere in the city. I live in a suburb east of Toronto and I can see it pretty good (though you have to be in certain places because of buildings and such), and I live 35 + Miles from downtown.

You can see the downtown core from the other side of Lake Ontario (Near the border - so far you can even see the curve in the earth, and the downtown buildings sticking up)

490toronto_bmp.jpg

Anyways, here is what Guinness World Records Has to say:

"- Tallest Building

The world's tallest free-standing tower is the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada, which rises to a mighty 553.34 m (1,815 ft 5 in). The 185-storey, reinforced concrete building was designed by the Australian architect John Andrews. Work began on the 130,000-tonne building on February 12, 1973 and was finished on April 2, 1975. The tower includes a 416-seat restaurant, which revolves in a "Sky Pod" at 351 m (1,150 ft). Two million people visit the CN Tower every year.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=49675

What's that, 80-110 miles? not bad! I've often wondered if you could see Chicago's skyline from the other side of Lake Michigan. I used to work in a high rise in Chicago and on some mornings as the sun was coming up, and if it was REALLY clear outside you could faintly see Michigan.

What's that, 80-110 miles? not bad! I've often wondered if you could see Chicago's skyline from the other side of Lake Michigan. I used to work in a high rise in Chicago and on some mornings as the sun was coming up, and if it was REALLY clear outside you could faintly see Michigan.

Those lines are only 40-45 miles. Downtown Toronto to Niagara Falls is only 56 miles.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived