JCPenney closing at Cumberland Mall

GeorgiaRoadGuy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, that's what I mean.  You just spent the entire retort trying to back up what you said earlier, then agreed with me in your last sentance.  I rest my case.  :->

Oh, and I spent many years working in property management all over metro Atlanta.  Franklin Road certainly isn't Beverly Hills, but it's not as bad as you'd have people on here believe, either.  MOST of Cobb County, and MOST of the area around Cumberland Mall is just fine.  Anyone can pick out a road or a neighborhood and try to back up their arguement, but the proof is in the pudding. 

One of the most "ghetto" neighborhoods in all of metro Atlanta is right next to Lenox and Phipps in Buckhead.  Big deal...  doesn't make the area "ghetto".  A litle perspetive goes a long, long way, I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You never responded to Lady Celeste. I am sure no matter how you define ghetto, one of the most "ghetto" neighborhoods is not in Buckhead. You sound crazy, though I do agree with you concerning the Cobb area.

Just a quick question...isn't the Galleria a convention center? I hear people always on here refering it to a mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is primarily a small convention center, but they have a small - rather obsolete - mall in addition.

As for Cumberland, as for it's future as a traditional mall - I agree it doesn't look good. But as for a transformation into a town center for the edge city that has developed around it - it has a great future. That is what it should be retooled as, not as a shopping center for the neighboring communities, though it can continue to support them as well. But the concept of the indoor mall isn't as promising as it once was, they will continue to exist - but not in the numbers they now are.

It would be innacurate though to describe the area as 'ghetto' just because the mall has fallen on bad times - my main point.

Just follow Lenox Road towards I-85 from the malls. There is an old run-down neighborhood on the left, right across from one of the absolute worst apartment communities in all of Atlanta. Gangs run rampant in this area (I know, I used to work there and have many friends that have moved from there in the past few years).

There's your answer. It's less than a block from Lenox Mall and is right in the heart of Buckhead.

Then, continue down Lenox Road under I-85. This is still considered Buckhead... you will find prostitution and drugs all over the place. Again, I've seen it with my own eyes many, many times.

Buckhead is a wondeful area as a whole, but to say that it doesn't have it's bad areas is pure revisionist history.

And for the record, I'll accept your apology for calling me crazy. Thanks.

^ You're not talking about Shady Valley are you? That neighborhood is really nice - not my taste...

Now - 1 1/2 miles from Lenox Mall at 85 where Cheshire Bridge Rd starts, that is the beginning of Buford Hwy & there is an apartment complex that caters to lower income people. But what is considered 'ghetto' is very relative, as poor as many of the people along Buford Hwy are - I wouldn't consider that area to be squallor, in fact only a few remaining areas in Atlanta, mostly on the west side of downtown, would I consider 'ghetto'.

It's an opinion, but I don't always equate poor people = ghetto, not saying you are - but just putting in my two cents.

Just follow Lenox Road towards I-85 from the malls.  There is an old run-down neighborhood on the left, right across from one of the absolute worst apartment communities in all of Atlanta.  Gangs run rampant in this area (I know, I used to work there and have many friends that have moved from there in the past few years).

There's your answer.  It's less than a block from Lenox Mall and is right in the heart of Buckhead.

Then, continue down Lenox Road under I-85.  This is still considered Buckhead...  you will find prostitution and drugs all over the place.  Again, I've seen it with my own eyes many, many times. 

Buckhead is a wondeful area as a whole, but to say that it doesn't have it's bad areas is pure revisionist history.

And for the record, I'll accept your apology for calling me crazy.  Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow Ive spent a lot of time in that area and never really noticed anything bad. Looks like typical suburbia to me.

It's there. I used to work in property management and helped out at the property I am talking about for a few months... wow. Gangs, lots of police activity, graffitti, trash, etc. I was as shocked anyone that this was less than a block from Lenox Mall, but it was, and still is (I was there as recently as last month).

98% of the area around Lenox & Phipps is upscale... I am referring to the other 2%. It's all good though, not worth an on-line p*ssing contest, I don't think...

The bottom line is that the area around Lenox & Phipps is very nice, but has some bad areas. The area around Cumberland & the Galleria is very nice, but has some bad areas. I think that the two areas are similar. Buckhead is nicer overall, but the differences aren't that great, IMHO. Cumberland has south Marietta and parts of Smyrna, but Buckhead has Buford Highway & Chesire Bridge Road.

It's there.  I used to work in property management and helped out at the property I am talking about for a few months...  wow.  Gangs, lots of police activity, graffitti, trash, etc.  I was as shocked anyone that this was less than a block from Lenox Mall, but it was, and still is (I was there as recently as last month).

98% of the area around Lenox & Phipps is upscale...  I am referring to the other 2%.  It's all good though, not worth an on-line p*ssing contest, I don't think...

The bottom line is that the area around Lenox & Phipps is very nice, but has some bad areas.  The area around Cumberland & the Galleria is very nice, but has some bad areas.  I think that the two areas are similar.  Buckhead is nicer overall, but the differences aren't that great, IMHO.  Cumberland has south Marietta and parts of Smyrna, but Buckhead has Buford Highway & Chesire Bridge Road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well since noone else here seems to know exactly what you're talking about can you be a little more specific about where the gangs are a block from Lenox Mall. The street, the cross street, the name of the apartment complex you're taling about?

Yep. Cheshire Bridge, I was gonna say that. There ARE some bad areas in Buckhead. I think I know the apartment complex he is talking about. There is actually a LOT of crime in Buckhead: look at the club district and all the fights and shootings that happen there on a weekly basis. Buckhead is a very urban area, and like all urban areas it has it's lower rent apartment complexes and neighborhoods. Also, Buckhead is THE place to go for people from all over metro Atlanta. Derrickskugler is absolutely correct. The northside of Atlanta is not the pristine treelined enclave it once was.

Actually I don't think Cheshire Bridge Rd area is that bad. Also, having lived around Cumberland Mall once before - I don't think that area is too bad, but Franklin Rd area does have some troubles. Nonetheless, I do think you are exagerating the concept of what 'ghetto' is to include any area home to lower income - hell, you would likely think I live in the ghetto since there are low income residents here, graffitti & still some drug / prostitution. I suppose I've just come to expect some level of criminal activity when living in the city.

And while we're at it, you can add a huge area surrounding Chesire Bridge Road just south of I-85.  That's less than 1.5 miles from the mall(s) and considered Buckhead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your description of these area does seem a bit exaggerated. You seem to believe that an area is either upscale or its "bad". There are some older apartment communities that cater to lower income people who aren't white, as well as some older retail businesses. If thats what you consider to be a "bad" area then I guess it qualifies by that definition but I'm occasionally in the Cheshire Bridge area and yet somehow I miss all the gang activity.

Maybe you know something I don't but Im just saying I don't see this as a bad area riddled with crime.

Your description of these area does seem a bit exaggerated.  You seem to believe that an area is either upscale or its "bad".  There are some older apartment communities that cater to lower income people who aren't white, as well as some older retail businesses.  If thats what you consider to be a "bad" area then I guess it qualifies by that definition but I'm occasionally in the Cheshire Bridge area and yet somehow I miss all the gang activity.

Maybe you know something I don't but Im just saying I don't see this as a bad area riddled with crime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+1

I think what would be best would be to pull police reports for these areas. They will back me up.

I do not think that an area is either upscale or bad... there are alot of different types of areas... and you can also take things in relative terms... relitively speaking... Chesire Bridge is bad compared to Lenox & Phipps. However, one would argue that they'd much rather be found on Chesire Bridge than some other areas of Atlanta.

Yes, there are drugs and gang-related activity in the areas I am talking about. Working in property management, I witnessed it myself. First-hand. I didn't "hear about it from a friend of a friend"... I experienced it. Yes, those things do make an area bad. I don't think anyone would argue that point... I don't believe anyone would say that either one of those things are "good". At least, I hope not.

How did this thread go from Cumberland Mall to "The Gangs of the New York of the South"? :->

Chesire Bridge is bad compared to Lenox & Phipps.  However, one would argue that they'd much rather be found on Chesire Bridge than some other areas of Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Chesire is pretty bad....it has alot of nude stores and bars and we all know what happens there.

But it also has some excellent restaurants - the best old style Italian restaurants are there, them & the Collonade have been there since the 1950's / 1960's. Anyways, them & a few other places to eat are reason enough to visit this quirky street, also it borders some nice neighborhoods. There is a streetscape plan for Cheshire Bridge, along with a new planning designation for the area it will hopefully promote additional new developments - already a new apartment complex was built & an existing one was converted to condos a few years ago.

Anyways - I wouldn't even consider Cheshire Bridge Rd an undesirable area.

But it also has some excellent restaurants - the best old style Italian restaurants are there, them & the Collonade have been there since the 1950's / 1960's.  Anyways, them & a few other places to eat are reason enough to visit this quirky street, also it borders some nice neighborhoods.  There is a streetscape plan for Cheshire Bridge, along with a new planning designation for the area it will hopefully promote additional new developments - already a new apartment complex was built & an existing one was converted to condos a few years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah I LOVE Ninos's! It's the best! What really surprised me was the new "adult" places on Peachtree St. before you enter downtown going southbound. It REALLY doesn't blend in with the area at all. It's also kind of dissapointing because I like that area alot!

But it also has some excellent restaurants - the best old style Italian restaurants are there, them & the Collonade have been there since the 1950's / 1960's.  Anyways, them & a few other places to eat are reason enough to visit this quirky street, also it borders some nice neighborhoods.  There is a streetscape plan for Cheshire Bridge, along with a new planning designation for the area it will hopefully promote additional new developments - already a new apartment complex was built & an existing one was converted to condos a few years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly....Cheshire bridge itself is rather quirky but the neighborhoods surrounding it are really quite nice. It seems to be right in the middle of being an old industrial/"alternative" entertainment area and a gentrifying neighborhood retail corridor. If the city ever comes up with the money to do the streetscaping I think Cheshire will really take off.

Actually cosmoboy - one of the places I was reffering to was Alfredo's - well worth the visit. It's the closest Atlanta has to an old school Italian restaurant - a kind of place you can imagine Frank Sinatra visiting. Most of the waiters are as old as salt, many of them still with Italian accents & the place inside doesn't look like it has been remodeled in many decades.

There was an article in the AJC years ago about the quirkiness of Cheshire Bridge rd.  Something I remembered about that article was there was an escaped Chimpanzee on the road one time.  Very funny!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure if it was in that article but I remember it being referred to as "vaseline alley" :blush: because of the strip clubs I suppose.

There was an article in the AJC years ago about the quirkiness of Cheshire Bridge rd.  Something I remembered about that article was there was an escaped Chimpanzee on the road one time.  Very funny!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that chimp must of walked a LONG way from Zoo Atlanta.

Actually cosmoboy - one of the places I was reffering to was Alfredo's - well worth the visit.  It's the closest Atlanta has to an old school Italian restaurant - a kind of place you can imagine Frank Sinatra visiting.  Most of the waiters are as old as salt, many of them still with Italian accents & the place inside doesn't look like it has been remodeled in many decades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah I love that place too!

Archived