LandMar might pull out of Shipyards

bobliocatt

LandMar might pull out of Shipyards

The company's chief executive expressed frustration with lengthy negotiations.

By MARY KELLI PALKA, The Times-Union

There's a strong chance that the LandMar Group will decide today to pull its proposal to develop a controversial downtown riverfront project, a company spokesman said Monday.

Two Jacksonville City Council committees decided Monday that they wanted two more weeks to review the details of a proposed deal between the city and LandMar, delaying a planned full City Council vote set for tonight.

If LandMar Chief Executive Ed Burr doesn't decide to walk away.

During Monday's meeting, Burr expressed frustration and called the negotiations a "never-ending process."

"LandMar cannot keep going," Burr said. "It's got to be resolved."

He left after the joint committee meeting without commenting. LandMar spokesman Michael Munz said Burr would meet with his executive staff this morning to discuss the issue. He said there's a "very, very strong chance" Burr will decide not to move forward.

If the city doesn't enter into a deal with LandMar to develop the land, the city gets the property.

For more, click here:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18577511.shtml

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These guys need to get on the ball and come up with an agreement. I know its not best to rush into things but a deal should have been reached by now. I wouldn't mind sitting in on one of these meetings and finding out what really goes on.

I have mixed feelings, from I've read about it so far.

LandMar is a company that has the financial means to get something built on the site soon. So that's definately a good thing.

However, on the other hand, from what's been in the paper lately (city responsible for parking, little public space, public activity restrictions), it seems like LandMar intends to build a completely gated community, that cuts itself off from the downtown environment. If that's the case, they can just stick to adding sprawl in Palm Coast, because the city would probably be better off, keeping the land it thinks it needs for public space, up front, and selling off the rest for private development.

I say throw LandMar and their awful design overboard anyway. Let's get someone in there with better taste who will not just throw up some Spanish Revival crap, but will build something consistent with that area such as the old TriLegacy design. What did the old mayor of Charleston (Richard Riley, I believe was his name) say: "Dont be afraid to wait for quality".

I say throw LandMar and their awful design overboard anyway.  Let's get someone in there with better taste who will not just throw up some Spanish Revival crap, but will build something consistent with that area such as the old TriLegacy design.  What did the old mayor of Charleston (Richard Riley, I believe was his name) say:  "Dont be afraid to wait for quality".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree completely. LandMar doesn't 'get it'. Why were they the only ones given a shot at this anyway. Talk to the runners-up to whoever gets the JEA site, and get some competition in this thing. We only get one shot to get this right.

BTW, it's Joe Riley, Richard Riley was a SC Governor in the '70s and early '80's. Joe Riley has been Chas. Mayor since '75 and is still the mayor today. And a damn good one I might add.

I love that quote as well.

Okay, im a little lost. I hear you guys speaking of the awful design LandMar has for the shipyards but where are the renderings. Ive only seen one rendering of that ugly pier thing they want to built, but i havent actually seen any renderings of actual building structures. Do you all have any images you can post? If the spanish style is going to be repeated however, im gonna have to agree with you guys.

If the city retains the land, it might not be a bad idea to split the land in half, issue two seperate rfp's, and get two developers side by side on the property. I would love to see the competition of two dvp's instead of just one company in charge of the land...(this is whats causing the problems.) Also it wouldnt take as long to see the entire property developed.

Okay, im a little lost. I hear you guys speaking of the awful design LandMar has for the shipyards but where are the renderings. Ive only seen one rendering of that ugly pier thing they want to built, but i havent actually seen any renderings of actual building structures. Do you all have any images you can post? If the spanish style is going to be repeated however, im gonna have to agree with you guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LandMar has never released any designs for public review. The zoning regulations and descriptions of the deal, released so far, describe something resembling a private and gated urban development. Especially since most of LandMar's projects tend to be gated and suburban in nature.

The city should definately take its time on this deal, because they've already been used for $36 million.

LandMar has never released any designs for public review.  The zoning regulations and descriptions of the deal, released so far, describe something resembling a private and gated urban development.  Especially since most of LandMar's projects tend to be gated and suburban in nature.

The city should definately take its time on this deal, because they've already been used for $36 million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah; the city should take their time on the deal and fumble the ball again, thus losing a possibly good development. Let's face it, from what I have seen, read and heard, none of us really know what this new development will look like, or even what it will entail; therefore, let's go ahead and get this thing rolling CITY COUNCIL!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I think the peir idea is great, however, there may be some more extravagant disign ideas that I could throw out there. Anyways, until seeing the plans for the rest of the development it is hard to make an assumption on the quality of downtown interface. Remember, although mediocre, the peir is an additional showpeice that the Tri-Legacy plan did not include. I have to give LandMar the benefit of the doubt until I see the design.

I have a random comment about the pier, but I don't think anyone mentioned it previously.

While the pier is technically 680 feet long, the "shoreline" juts several hundred feet northward at Berkman plaza. Therefore, any pier will only extend out maybe 100ft beyond Berkman plaza, and provide essentially the same river views we already have just walking along the regular riverwalk.

Not that that really has bearing on anything. Just my two cents.

Landmar, City To Continue 'Shipyards' Negotiations

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Despite talk of a potential walkout from developers of the "Shipyards" project, Landmar will continue negotiations with the city. The City Council voted Monday to delay signing a deal that would allow Landmar to transform the downtown riverfront property into an upscale commercial and residential complex.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/4423189/detail.html

Shipyards: Grand jury does not indict

A judge closed the jury's report until those named in it have time to file objections.

By DANA TREEN, The Times-Union

A Duval County grand jury report issued Thursday on a deal between Jacksonville and the former developers of the Shipyards does not contain any criminal indictments, State Attorney Harry Shorstein said, but the document has been sealed from the public until at least Tuesday.

Chief Circuit Judge Donald Moran said he would give those named in the report until noon Tuesday to review it and file objections or comments. Depending on those remarks, the report could be opened to the public or remain sealed.

The Shipyards was a planned development on the Northbank Riverwalk that was to include $40 million of publicly financed improvements. Jacksonville officials gave $36.5 million to TriLegacy Group and then claimed the company defaulted by spending some of the money on other things. TriLegacy officials have said they did not default.

Please, by all means, read more!

Does this tract of land really have to be developed by one developer. To me, why doesn't the city divide up the property into blocks, keep a couple for itself (park land), and get developers to each develop a block. For example, I don't see Vestcor taking on a project this large, but if they were to get a couple of blocks, I think they could make it work.

Just an idea, since I don't see Peyton gracing us with any of his own.

Archived