Guppys, In Charlotte?

monsoon

I saw this article show up on UrbanPlanet's portal. Its about Guppys (apparently this now means Green Urban Professionals) moving to Portland, but I thought that I would post this here since Charlotte is also listed as a place where they are headed.

My question is where is this going on in Charlotte? I'd be pleasantly surprised if we actually had a movement such as this here. Maybe some of you who are more in the know that I will have some answers.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is interesting. (as a side note, i really dislike the "...ies" labels because i think they were designed to apply to the boomer generations when the moved to other stages in life beyond being "hippies". I cringe at being called a "yuppy" even though it is technically true (young, urban and a professional). I'd take "yup" or "dink" (dual-income, no kids)... just not yuppy or dinky or guppy.)

I have never heard of housing that is built to be green here. My own decision to locate downtown, in a smaller place, is partly environmental, partly economic, partly social, and partly captalist.

frankly, i might be a bit of a "gup", i'm interested in saving gas, electricity, water, land, and trees... and i recycle. Mostly i am into efficiency. I like urban living, walking, hybrids, recycling, and social diversity because it is more efficient.

I saw this article show up on UrbanPlanet's portal.  Its about Guppys (apparently this now means Green Urban Professionals) moving to Portland, but I thought that I would post this here since Charlotte is also listed as a place where they are headed. 

My question is where is this going on in Charlotte?  I'd be pleasantly surprised if we actually had a movement such as this here.  Maybe some of you who are more in the know that I will have some answers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone I know that is affiliated with anything "green" is normally against the building of condos, or anything that requires the removal of a tree. I have experienced such groups here in Florida and they generally are a pain in the grass. I do support their stance on pot however.

Being a vegan cyclist is a tough thing to be in Charlotte as this is meat & potatoes country with a side of SUV.

Being a vegetarian myself, I will say that it has gotten a lot better, but there are still almost no vegetarian restaurants in Charlotte. (and this is the land of restaruants too).

how do you have the secret steak recipe if you're a vegiman? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't always vegetarian. I was raised in the Southern Style where, if you didn't have some sort of meat on the table for every meal, then something was really wrong. :) When I was teenager, I spent time with this old guy who owned a BBQ restaurant. This was one of the places that had developed the cooking of meat into a fine art. They would take days to cook up BBQ and Beef with all kinds of home made sauces, etc. Well this guy taught me his secrets and while I was still a meat eater I developed some of these even more. I would always serve up steaks and BBQ at parties. People would ask all the time for me to make them some sauce and teach them how to cook meat.

But one day I saw the light and quit eating meat for the most part though I will still cook up some BBQ for special events like July 4th or Thanksgiving. Well actually I'm not quite as strict as I used to be, but I still don't eat meat that much. Maybe 2-3 times/month.

(and this is the land of restaruants too).

Yeah, now if only they can figure out Italian food and pizza <_<

I still say, that if I had the know how, I would open up a northern style pizzeria or diner here in Charlotte. And that Diner would be 24 hours. <---something I should have posted in the "cool" thread, need more 24 hour establishments.

Archived