Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Where did the Kroc Center go; last I heard there was no decisions except not wanting it on the Piedmont Courts site. How about across the creek from Siegle Point?? That is a ton of land that is not suitable for housing, and could serve as a public facility well.

That is one of the problems, I can't see that happening and I believe it could end up costing the entire center which is a remarkable opportunity. Some of the special interests such as Carter need to lay off and not knock us out of this.

The uses that I understand will be of far greater utility near uptown and would be negligable out at Eastland, Conferences, meetings and additional activities that could help gain attention for the center to add support for it...

That is one of the many reasons I opposed having Nancy as our rep. in First Ward, that and we have a lot more interests in common with the other "in the Loop" wards than the neighborhoods whos' issues she champions.

We need spell check, or I do.

• 4 weeks later...

I have another update under this topic as reguarding to Seigle Point. As of right now, there are 11 townhomes available left of the 56 or so that were being developed. That is mighty fine, considering they aren't even built yet. That's roughly an 80 percent sales rate before the base structure is even started. And while on that note, construction update: the site is completely cleared and it looks like anyday cement will begin being poured for the footings to the first townhomes.

• 2 weeks later...

The prices are extrememly competitive, BUT is it not true that 20 untis are being reserved for the former residenets that once lived at the Piedmont Housing Project? I guess I am all for "mixed income", but my concern is that if they fill a large percentage of the units with former residents, then there might be en element of crime to contend with. (unless there is a rigorous screening pf potential residents, which there very well could be)

Quote:

Gallman said about 20 of Grubb's planned townhomes will be reserved as affordable units and will include levels of assistance that potentially would allow qualified former residents to seek purchase.

There are only 50 units available in all. That means that 40 percent of the project will be occupied by former residents.

Now maybe they are ideal residents and they have been pre-screened as I mentioned above, but that is a ton of units to offer to residents basically getting in for next to nothing.

PLUS:

The Housing Authority plans about 920 housing units in the immediate area, including about 100 apartments for seniors.

The 23-acre site will accommodate 204 rental apartments and about 160 for-sale units. A condo project is in the planning stages.

Now don't get me wrong I think the First Ward model has been a success story, but when we have nearly a THOUSAND units planned to be funded by the gov't, and only a small percentage of the entire project left open for investors or people seeking outright home ownership, one has to question if that is really an area that you want to invest in. (or for that matter live near).

The way that I understand (if I am reading correctly), is that almost the whole project is planned for lower income residents. I am curious as to what percentage of the First Ward Master plan was left open to lower income versus market rate homes??Does anyone know off the top of their head???

A2

Actually those 20 units will go to whoever meets the qualifications, not necessarily previous residents of Piedmont Courts and not necessarily "poor" people. There is a set income bracket that you must fall between in order to qualify for one of these homes and the additional funding. According to the qualifications (and you can check with Grubb) very few of the previous residents will even qualify/or have yet to qualify because they don't make enough money or their credit score isn't even high enough to sign a contract. This program is not designed for the poorest of the poor, but for people who fall through the cracks and don't qualify for public assistance because they make too much money and can't own a home in a decent neighborhood because they don't make enough.

Actually those 20 units will go to whoever meets the qualifications, not necessarily previous residents of Piedmont Courts and not necessarily "poor" people. There is a set income bracket that you must fall between in order to qualify for one of these homes and the additional funding. According to the qualifications (and you can check with Grubb) very few of the previous residents will even qualify/or have yet to qualify because they don't make enough money or their credit score isn't even high enough to sign a contract. This program is not designed for the poorest of the poor, but for people who fall through the cracks and don't qualify for public assistance because they make too much money and can't own a home in a decent neighborhood because they don't make enough.

I have the paperwork for this. The buyer's income must be 60 to 80 percent less than the median income for the Charlotte Metro. In 2006 the avg median income was about 38.5k, and in 2007 the average median income was 51.5k. And yes, it has jumped by that much. Again, those are the median incomes in the Charlotte Metropolitan Region, which is where the qualifications for assistance would need to lay.

So, $30,900-41,200 yearly income would be the requirements to live here?

Not to live there. That's the requirements to qualify for assistance. There are only going to be a portion of the townhomes available for the assistance. As far as I know, some or all of the 10 remaining qualify. The units left are at a $146,600. There were 2 other floor plans that were made, but both of those floor plans have completely sold out of all of the units, since they included garages in the designs. Also on the site, aside from the 50 townhomes, are going to be leased apartments. Some of these will also qualify as assisted living, but not all from what I have gathered. The townhomes will actually be centered on the site and border up to the greenway, while the apartments will sort of surround the townhomes along the sides and back (if looking from uptown). It will give a neighborhood feel. Also slated for the site, is a proposed Condo building that would be on the side nearest to 10th Ave as well as a community center (pool, office, etc.), however the Condo's and Community Center are still pending approval, and the builder is still deciding on the community center.

Oh, and as far as the definition of what the assistance would provide, I am not exactly sure. Maybe someone else would be more knowledgable on the assistancship program that the city has provided.

Again, it's mixed income housing. The most expensive housing on site would be the townhomes with garages that are going for 240k I think. I don't know any information on the Condo building yet, except on the site plan it has it on 10th Ave and Siegle Ave corner. I don't know how tall it would be or what it would look like, it's just part of the plans as a future sector to the main project.

Edit: Oh and also, across the street on Siegle Ave, redevelopment is set to take place. Right now it's city property I think for storage or maintance of city vehicles (police, City of Charlotte, etc), or something along those lines. I don't know what will come to that site though, just that there is redevelopment planned there.

Edited by Andyc545

That is a great view! The Vue and Trump and One Charlotte will really add to it.

I took some photos from the site too, although haven't posted and also went and got a night time view. Yes, the view is work a million dollars, and the properties are starting in the 160's, that's why I was considering investing and have all of the info I was able to provide you all with.

I receieved an email today from Bloc90 with 2 kinda of interesting links of youtube videos, on their "Bloc Party" they had in april as well as the demolition of the Urban Stash in Optimist Park here in July.

Bloc90 Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASgnXeCOIc

Demolition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcN4NXUT2oM://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASg...>

The two houses located on the greenway at the east dead end on 16th street have been demo'd. The couple that owns the land stated about a month ago that they are planning to build condos on the land. Sooner than later the greenway will find its revitalization into a safe, natiral place for everyone. With all the private projects beginning, now is the time to push the public sector dollars to this location. Within a year, Optimist Park will see drastic improvements. Also, the junkyard at the west dead end on 17th st. stated there are people offering 500K for his land. He might wait until Bloc90 is done, but these small steps will cause Hunter to be relocated. Only a year ago, Optimist Park was a different place, and in a year, who knows what it will look like!

Thank you for keeping us informed on Optimist Park. It is very exciting to see all of the changes, and the prospects for even more changes.

In 2-3 years, Optimist Park will be a very changed place. Its momentum owes much to the Asphalt Plant scandal from a few years ago. Not only was the city very wise to stop the asphalt plant from going there, but finally taking the energy to change the horrible zoning in area. It is great to see this change take place as a result.

• 1 month later...

The drug house/ day care located at 16th St. and N. Davidson was raised by SWAT last Wed. Awaiting report from CMPD.

Nothing like watching peoples kids while slingin' crack.

That is GREAT news for the area. They did the same with a problem duplex in Wilmore a few months ago on Kingston -- changed 2 whole blocks in one swoop.