Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Not sure if this project is actually considered Optimist Park or Belmont. Apparently, John R Poore plans to build the same product as Industry29 (Independence & Briarcreek) on a triangular parcel on North Poplar just outside the 277 loop. The name (City View Terrace) is a little redundant, but I still think the product is nice. There will be more units on the site new uptown site. If the units at Briarcreek are selling in the mid 300s, I wonder what these new units will sell for. My Townhome now has the listing for both projects.

City View Terrace Website

This really isn't an off the beaten path as I thought it was from reading the article last week. It is just under the 277 bridge from The Garrison and is in eyesite of it. I think this will make some changes, as well, to some of the homeless and drug issues in the area. The site for City View Terrace has been fairly heavily wooded and was pretty much a huge encampment for quite some time.

This really isn't an off the beaten path as I thought it was from reading the article last week. It is just under the 277 bridge from The Garrison and is in eyesite of it. I think this will make some changes, as well, to some of the homeless and drug issues in the area. The site for City View Terrace has been fairly heavily wooded and was pretty much a huge encampment for quite some time.

No doubt, this will certainly be an improvement over the homeless folks currently staying there. Not to mention, across the bridge from there, on the other side of Graham, is where the new Seaboard extension is going to connect to Graham. Under that bridge along those railroad tracks has always been a popular spot for vagrants and trouble that will also no longer exist.

Is there any chance City View Terrace will bring about a change on 12th street? Coming down 12th towards Graham there are signs along the right side for it. I've heard it wasn't slated to be made a two way road or changed, but here's to hoping that this project can fix that.

Edited by lefty23

It think that Alpha Mill proved you can jump Brookshire and still do well. The woods on the land at 12th and Graham is definitely a haven for homeless, as you can clearly see almost any time you go by. I think that the main influence making this land developable is that NC Music Factory's Seaboard Street extension will come out to Graham in this area. It also has a good view from that area.

I think, though, that if Garrison doesn't move forward from its currently stalled state, then it is hard to picture a new project going up a block away.

• 4 weeks later...

Citiline has a rezoning petition for a 1.18 acre MUDD zoned property across from Siegle Point, south of 10th St. Have I missed something, because I didn't see any info on it, or on Dubone's grand development map. Site plan can be found here. That area is quickly changing around Seigle Point, and it's very exciting. Appologies ahead of time if this project has already been mentioned.

Edited by Andyc545

A very, very sad day for our comunity. Today after worship service the members of Duncan Gardens United Methodist Church were informed by George Thompson the District Suerintendant that sometime in January the church will be closed. The United Methodist Church have not made any definate plans for the property. They are planning to have the property apraised and are willing to accept offers.

The gentrification march is on in full force in Optimist Park. The eventual landscape will be a sea of condos from The Garden District to NoDa. Move out of the way or be trampled :o

This would require Hunter to sell his land, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

Optimist Park is far from "gentrified," and I don't consider turning a crime and drug filled neighborhood into a desirable place for people to live and for artists to work to be a bad thing.

Gentrification is both a good and a bad thing. It's wonderful for developers and realtors because they make money and the neighborhood is safer. It's bad for homeowners and renters that would like to stay and get forced out by the rising land value. Area 51 is a great co-op and I hope they are able to stay in OP when they are eventually surrounded by pricey condos.

Area 51 is a great co-op and I hope they are able to stay in OP when they are eventually surrounded by pricey condos.

My understanding of Area 15 is that it is not a co-op. That facility is privately owned and the studios are rented out for reasonable rates to artists and other groups who need cheap space and like the idea of contributing to a struggling neighborhood. Area 15 is gentrification.

It's a co-op in the sense that the artists and businesses located there work together in tandem to keep the same spirit going by recruiting artists with limited funds to contribute their work in bare bones but affordable space. You are right that it's gentrification since it's an improvement over what was not there before. I am only saying that gentrification is not a totally wonderful process there are some downsides.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some free time the other day so I walked around the Neighboorhood and took some pictures of some of the projects going on. The first picture is a update on the Block 90 project. The secound set set of pictures is of two house being built on 15th steet near seigle ave along little sugar creek. The next picture is of Apartment/condo being built along little sugar creek at 15th street on the North Davidson side of the creek. If anyone knows about this project please let me know it is being built fairly quietly. The last set of pictures is of the old peidmont court site.

2148240334_48b5e48e67.jpg

2147435805_52a98d2546.jpg

2147440423_2052dd0fb6.jpg

2147440423_2052dd0fb6.jpg

2147444121_b271360ced.jpg

2147442389_59e973b0aa.jpg

Edited by dubone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a co-op in the sense that the artists and businesses located there work together in tandem to keep the same spirit going by recruiting artists with limited funds to contribute their work in bare bones but affordable space. You are right that it's gentrification since it's an improvement over what was not there before. I am only saying that gentrification is not a totally wonderful process there are some downsides.

..and it even has a Bike Re-Cyclery !!! ...and a "Earn a Bike" program for the kids from the area's more challanged neighborhoods. Best deal in town if your looking for a used bike. road, mountain, or fixie... and all the proceeds are poured back into Trips for Kids. www.tripsforkidscharlotte.org

• 2 weeks later...

If they can turn around this neighborhood and surrounding ones like Belmont, this will be a great place to live with a beautiful skyline to look at. Add to that a quick bus ride to downtown and perhaps the trolley passing nearby...

Go Belmont! I've lived in the neighborhood for about 2 years and have been impressed with the amount of change I've seen. I chose to live in the area because I wanted to live near downtown and this was the price point I could sustain. I love my house and get along well with my neighbors. I'm also close to everything I want to be near, including work. Unfortunately, it's not walking distance, but close enough for now.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the MUMPO maps at tonight's meeting, Little Sugar Creek Greenway is set to connect from Cordelia Park to Siegle Pointe, with construction being Spring of '08. The other day when I walked over there, there are no new signs of this connection, primarily under the railroad bridge, which may not be owned by the city. Rail companies don't give in easy, so hopefully this project will prevail. They have started surveying for the sidewalk/ tree-lined pedestrian ROW that will link between N. Davidson Street at 15th and the greenway. This should be a drastic improvement to the corner drop-spot of yesterday. Plus, putting condos directly on the greenway will help safety. As long as people start using these improvements, the area will have an improved quality of life. If not, at least the homeless won't have to walk in the middle of the street. There will not be additional street-level lighting on this past. Better something than nothing, I guess...

If you are interested in buying into Opt12, there are two units available- a townhouse and the penthouse overlooking the skyline. Priced at $165K and $185K respectively.