Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

My turn onto 277 was rejected by a fellow driver and I had to take Brookshire (from 77) the other day to get to Independence. I hardly ever go this way anymore, but there was an impressive amount of contruction sticking up on the left side of the highway. I know this is Siegle Point and Opt12 (correct?). Anyone have some recent photos of the sites?

Here's what I saw on my 15 minute walk through Little Sugar Creek Greenway this afternoon:

1. A film crew shooting (with a camera) a movie from a director in 4th Ward.

2. A 9-mm gunshot shell.

3. A pretty fine-looking prostitute in nice clothing.

4. Some nasty looking hookers wearing rags.

5. A nice kid that pet the dog.

6. Probably 20 broken, shot-up 40 oz. glass beer bottles.

7. Collections of garbage.

8. Collections of personal belongings.

9. 20 or more people playing basketball.

10. 2 new 3000+ sf houses being built on the greenway (see previous photos).

11. A new 6-unit townhouse development directly on the greenway adjacent to the basketball courts.

12. Dormant community garden.

13. Two millhouses being renovated on Myers Street.

14. Empty lots for sale.

You can't get more diverse than this; this is why I love it and live here. You only need to look in your backyard to find beauty, even if your backyard is Hunter Tire & Auto.

My grandmother lives off the greenway and she said it used to be more trees along the creek, but I'm assuming it's a safety precaution. Oh yes, Belmont has all sort of characters, when I was younger an Escalade pulled up next to this woman and she just shouted, "I'm not working today!" Before the County started the greenway program, the paths around the creek was a lot worse than what it is now, there was always a pack of loose dogs running around, pit bulls and rockwilder. Recently I noticed the Rec and Park Department removed the steps and concrete sidewalk from 16th Street connecting to the pedestrian bridge, probably to deter gatherings of people who would smoke right there.

Edited by Shawn&Zae

Thanks for the input shawn&zoe. The greenway is a beautiful resource, as I walked there this morning in a light fog, it was such a natural departure from the construction and urban density that is quickly started to be built along the edges. Belmont Springs is a neighborhood built on strong bonds between people and places in the area. I always enjoy it, even when at times it may seem threatening.

A quick note, 940 Brevard has been topped out for quite a few weeks and windows starting going in a few days ago. Between this project and Alpha Mill I hope the redevelopment of the parcel closest to 12th street could include retail. These two projects are so disconnected from everything else, a small c-store and dry cleaners might do fairly well as part of another residential project.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Does anyone know who Optimist Park's Neighborhood President is? I recently contacted our city council representative, Patsy Kinsey, to ask what the status was of the 2002 Optimist Park Neighborhood Plan. She said she'd look into it and also asked if we were holding regular neighborhood meetings. I have not been notified of any meetings in quite some time and want to contact who ever the neighborhood president is about this so that Patsy can join us to discuss issues and updates.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

NEW DEVELOPMENT IN OPTIMIST PARK!!!

At the end of 16th Street on the Park, there are signs going up for a new development called "16th on the Green". It is composed of 6 units @ 1600sf each, with each unit having a 2-car garage. They are priced starting at $299K, and most listed online are $323Kish. Jeff at Allen Tate said that once 3 units are pre-sold they will start being built. The units will be decked out with all the works. I really hope they are able to get these sold. Great things are in store here in Optimist Park!

Bloc90 is well underway. It appears 2 buildings are in the phase I. Does anyone know when phase II is slated to begin construction? With all that is happening here, these long-term investments will make this community an even better place to live!

You can find the listing at www.home-yet.com then hit properties. The 16th on the green is on the second page.

Interesting...from looking at the floorplans, this appears to be modular construction, which helps keep the price down. Hopefully these will be metal sided (can't reall tell from the rendering), which would complement its modeslty mod design.

I really like small projects like this. It lends itself to developing more neighborhood character, than entire block development.

Is it just me or does Seigle Pt going up there on 12th look really cheap, I'm no expert and this is just opinion, but they just look like a bunch of identical big boxes as they are under construction. While anything is better than what was there previously, I am not so impressed with that as one of the first things you see as you head into Optimist Park.

Edited by lefty23

Is it just me or does Seigle Pt going up there on 12th look really cheap, I'm no expert and this is just opinion, but they just look like a bunch of identical big boxes as they are under construction. While anything is better than what was there previously, I am not so impressed with that as one of the first things you see as you head into Optimist Park.

Well that mainly is the whole design concept in the first place. There are only 3 different models, and each are all 3 story townhouses. I know they aren't the best in design, however, I think they work well for the area and help to redevelop this portion of land, and also provide low-income housing to an area that borders the 277 loop (walking distance into uptown). I actually think Grubb did a decent job considering this is affordable housing, although I guess could have used a little more variety. I did post a while back that this was only the first phase. Grubb has the option for a phase two that would include an office and computer center, as well as plans for up to a 10 story condo tower that could help diversify the look of this corner of land. I drove by there last week, as well, and am happy to see that things are vertical at this point. BTW- a few months back, the units for the Charlotte Housing Authority were 100% under contract, and the remaining units were close to being 100% reserved.

http://www.seiglepoint.com/about/

NEW DEVELOPMENT IN OPTIMIST PARK!!!

At the end of 16th Street on the Park, there are signs going up for a new development called "16th on the Green". It is composed of 6 units @ 1600sf each, with each unit having a 2-car garage. They are priced starting at $299K, and most listed online are $323Kish. Jeff at Allen Tate said that once 3 units are pre-sold they will start being built. The units will be decked out with all the works. I really hope they are able to get these sold. Great things are in store here in Optimist Park!

Bloc90 is well underway. It appears 2 buildings are in the phase I. Does anyone know when phase II is slated to begin construction? With all that is happening here, these long-term investments will make this community an even better place to live!

You can find the listing at www.home-yet.com then hit properties. The 16th on the green is on the second page.

This project appears to be a good use of that land. There actually looks to be more land that doesn't front Davidson than what does front the street. It will be weird seeing the contrast between this development and its surroundings, that's for sure.

The Sugar Creek Greenway is further connecting people: Construction is underway for the pedestrian bridge that will span the creek under the train trellis into Seigle Point from Belmont Avenue. If you go down Belmont Ave. to where it crests and look towards the city, you can see it. Blythe Construction is the contractor, as the permit states. Anyone has further information/ images? Also, there is Greenway construction at Kings Ave. and 7th St. that hopefully furthers the connection, possibly all the way to Freedom Park and on...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I attended the lightrail meeting this past Monday Cats is currently looking to relocate the the 16th street station down the block to Brevard and Parkwood. I feel this is not a good move for several reasons. 1st it is going to displace over 200 residents in the Optimist Park area, istead of having to walk across the street they are going to need to walk a 1/4 of a mile to the light rail station. 2ndly It will make it more difficult for the residents living on the other side of North Davidson to acess the lightrail station. 3rdly It will prevent neighboors and businesses who live along North Tryon from accessing the light rail at 16th street which could greatly impact the developement along North Tyron.

I attended the lightrail meeting this past Monday Cats is currently looking to relocate the the 16th street station down the block to Brevard and Parkwood. I feel this is not a good move for several reasons. 1st it is going to displace over 200 residents in the Optimist Park area, istead of having to walk across the street they are going to need to walk a 1/4 of a mile to the light rail station. 2ndly It will make it more difficult for the residents living on the other side of North Davidson to acess the lightrail station. 3rdly It will prevent neighboors and businesses who live along North Tryon from accessing the light rail at 16th street which could greatly impact the developement along North Tyron.

I really disagree with the possibility of this decision. Any suggestions on how to try and stop it? I know they aren't building the lightrail for my sole benefit, but if such a move impacts my hopes for an easy walk to a station, it impacts my neighbors too.

If they move to push the line to Tryon, or if they have already decided - I wonder how this will impact our Big Brother NoDa....

1st it is going to displace over 200 residents in the Optimist Park area, istead of having to walk across the street they are going to need to walk a 1/4 of a mile to the light rail station. 2ndly It will make it more difficult for the residents living on the other side of North Davidson to acess the lightrail station. 3rdly It will prevent neighboors and businesses who live along North Tryon from accessing the light rail at 16th street which could greatly impact the developement along North Tyron.

1/4 of a mile is not that far to walk

I really disagree with the possibility of this decision. Any suggestions on how to try and stop it? I know they aren't building the lightrail for my sole benefit, but if such a move impacts my hopes for an easy walk to a station, it impacts my neighbors too.

Go to a meeting like SCOTTER did or send a letter to CATS.

If they move to push the line to Tryon, or if they have already decided - I wonder how this will impact our Big Brother NoDa....

From what I've heard, most NoDa residents and businesses don't want the lightrail too close to Davidson Street. They don't want the big development that has occurred on South Blvd. and the loss of NoDa's identity that would be sure to follow.

Yeah, it sucks that those criminals bashed the windows in. They need to be hunted down!

The buildings that are up now on the Seigle Point site are apartments. Townhomes haven't even gone up yet. If windows are being broken out now, what do you think will happen when people move in? I don't think anything will change. It's so unfortunate.