Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

The buildings that are up now on the Seigle Point site are apartments. Townhomes haven't even gone up yet. If windows are being broken out now, what do you think will happen when people move in? I don't think anything will change. It's so unfortunate.

Actually I think it will be better when people move in. I think this was just some bored kids and this wouldn't have happened if people were living there.

What's the deal with the sign advertising condos on the greenway along Davidson and I think it's 17th or 18th streets? Has anyone driven down and around the corner to see if there is even a site cleared? Pet Peeve alert. We don't live in England. So what's with using flats instead of apartments? It sounds stupid and out of place to me and not more exclusive.

These are listed on the MLS if you want to check it out. They are big and expensive so I am eager to see if this project actually happens.

I don't have a problem with them using the term "flats" because that indicates that each condo will be one-level. "Apartment" typically refers to a rental.

These are listed on the MLS if you want to check it out. They are big and expensive so I am eager to see if this project actually happens.

I don't have a problem with them using the term "flats" because that indicates that each condo will be one-level. "Apartment" typically refers to a rental.

I think I read here that they won't start the project until 3 of the units are sold. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll go through with it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rezoning petition for the lot across Seigle from Seigle Point. This is the southern corner of Seigle & 10th, which is a parking lot currently. Looks like the petition calls for 3 10th street-facing, single story buildings with parking behind.

I have no opinion about this I guess. Anything is better than a parking lot in the ghetto. But the rezoning is asking for permission for a drive through window on one of the three buildings.

One thing I would like, would be to have a few mid rise buildingsstretching between Seigle and Elizabeth - since the contours of the land there rise upward. I always notice the school up on 10th and Presby Hospital from The Brookshire and I kind of wish we could build that out to make the downtown area seem more hugged in. I don't know how many stories would do that, but I think about that sometimes.

Link to rezoning petition

There is a rezoning petition for the lot across Seigle from Seigle Point. This is the southern corner of Seigle & 10th, which is a parking lot currently. Looks like the petition calls for 3 10th street-facing, single story buildings with parking behind.

Yeah, I posted something about this about a year ago...

Edit: Oh and also, across the street on Siegle Ave, redevelopment is set to take place. Right now it's city property I think for storage or maintenance of city vehicles (police, City of Charlotte, etc), or something along those lines. I don't know what will come to that site though, just that there is redevelopment planned there.

Thanks for the update. This and Seigle Point are crucial to the redevelopment of this prime piece of land at the mouth of the Central Ave corridor and the lowering of crime in the area. I still am keeping my fingers crossed that something takes place on the other side of 10th from Seigle. I know Grubb's plan for a condo midrise at the corner of 10th and 12th although that was a few years out and will have to see what is going on with the economy in the mean time.

• 2 weeks later...

The media really are getting this completely wrong. This vote is only to study if they should buy this property. This is not a vote to actually purchase the property....that would be a later vote if staff comes back with a plan that makes financial sense for the city.

Anyways to answer your question the meeting is tonight in Council Chambers at 7pm.

Was McCrory not supportive of this when it came up a number of months ago? His public stance is now against it -- he says the neighborhood is doing fine on its own -- based on rising property values. I see both sides of this issue, so not taking either, but it appears that McC has reversed himself, presumably to appease conservatives who don't like gubment intervention and/or the spending of public money -- two things which McC has never had trouble doing in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Seigle Point looks like a nicely designed, sound complex. However, Block90 looks like English council housing (projects) like so many other recent structures including "Imagine" children's museum and other condos/apartments on the fringes of downtown towards North Tryon Street. So many places look so cheaply constructed and as if they are destined to be slum units in a decade.

• 1 month later...

It look like grading has recently begun for the next phase of Seigle Point along 10th between Seigle and 12th. I don't remember what is supposed to go there....I'm thinking this is market rate apartments, but my memory is fuzzy.

i didn't realize anything was going up there, thought it was just going to be a lawn for now. i'd like to see some small retail there, and those few small surrounding buildings spring back to life. slightly off topic, but do you know what's happening with the central/10th intersection building on the "point" up the street?

i didn't realize anything was going up there, thought it was just going to be a lawn for now. i'd like to see some small retail there, and those few small surrounding buildings spring back to life. slightly off topic, but do you know what's happening with the central/10th intersection building on the "point" up the street?

Seigle Avenue Partners is one piece of this final phase at Seigle Point. SAP is a sibling of the Seigle Avenue Preschool and Jacob's Ladder programs. As to 10th and Central, I believe Carrie Gault, architect, of Laughing Dog Studios and Happy Box Architecture bought that. Laughing Dog did the working drawings for Conformity's Rutzler rehab.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the "flats" at 16th on the Green, there is an add to the sign that says you can but the whole projects (unbuilt), the land, and the drawings for $250K. If there was a golf-course running along the greenway, it may work. Until then, it seems dead. Bloc90 still has stairs, balconies, and sitework to complete. I do not forsee this becoming tomorrow's slums. There is more in Optimist Park's future to stop that, even though they are well-designed and a movement forward for the character of the neighborhood. Having a light-rail station at 16th as opposed to Parkwood is beneficial to the whole area. Walking a 1/4 mile is not far at all. Having a stop in front of your house is unappealing and less safe.

• 2 weeks later...

First-timer here so not sure if I am doing this right. I drove by the Bloc 90 site last week and there is no activity. Anyone know what is happening?

Word on the street is that this project (like others) is suffering a little from the slow movement of money right now. One subcontractor has to get a better guarantee on payment before they will order materials, and even then they have to convince their own banks/credit lines. Then you go to the next subcontractor, and so on and so on. So what's usually a pretty tenuous process to begin with is being made exponentially more hazardous.

Anyway, the same word on the street is Mid-December move-in.

Edited by tozmervo

10th street has gotten bike lanes and parallel street parking in front of Siegle Point now. However it looks like they're trying to get grass to grow on the land fronting the street though, so are those SP next phase plans on hold? It's somewhat awkward but the street parking makes me think they're still on track...I have really high hopes for 10th/central filling in towards Plaza Midwood.

Edited by nonillogical

^Except it looks like there are new plans now (see rezoning case 2009-003) to build a surface-parked suburban office building at 10th & Seigle.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2009-003.htm

In the rezoning petition, why isn't the Charlotte Housing Authority seeking to build housing for those that were displaced first and then build the commercial structure as phase 2?

On the Seigal Point website the Charlotte Housing Authority states that, "The Charlotte Housing Authority's Real Estate Development area exists to provide the maximum number of high quality mixed income units that serve our target market and promote economic integration." With this petition, I don't see them being advocates for those in need of housing. I think that it's much more important to build the housing first and then let the market conditions determine commercial/retail. This may be cynical, but if the rezoning is approved, when I look into my crystal ball I can see another rezoning request to not build the phase 2 townhouses but instead build more commercial space because "market conditions now dictate this". I'm fearful that the affordable housing component will be completely out.