Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

8 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yes I'm excited. Charlotte has so few red brick buildings I'm contemptuous of any efforts to paint over it :P

The latest plans are to keep it red brick. See attached most updated rendering.

th18_birdseye-rendering---062818.jpg

Just now, Cadi40 said:

Hopefully the retail aspect of this project does not disappoint.

It definitely won't from a food perspective. It should become a massive center of gravity for the neighborhood. I just wonder how it'll do 9-5 M-F. 

Painting that portion  doesn't really bother me.  It was a later addition and doesn't really have the "old mill" look.  They are dealing pretty well so far with the main challenge in refurbishing an old Mill that has been expanded and renovated multiple times over the years.  The old parts are awesome looking but the newer parts are economical to refurbish.  Atherton had this problem.  The SouthEnd Brewery and the buildings behind it never really looked like they were part of the campus, and the outparcels in front just kind of broke it all up.  ....keeping my fingers crossed that it all comes together.

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pics #1-3:

New townhomes breaking ground at Harrill/ Van Every/ Seigle. They will have great views of the skyline. Thankfully they don't own that corner, so that cool old brick retaining wall and staircase will remain for now.

Pics #4-5:

Right across Seigle from the townhomes: these two awesome bunker buildings' lots are for sale. 

Who wants to wager whether a new buyer will reno the structures (like the buildings at Harrill/Belmont), or razed for more townhomes? 

20180717_102224.jpg

20180715_170052.jpg

20180715_170015.jpg

20180717_102252.jpg

20180717_102307.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Pics #1-3:

New townhomes breaking ground at Harrill/ Van Every/ Seigle. They will have great views of the skyline. Thankfully they don't own that corner, so that cool old brick retaining wall and staircase will remain for now.

Pics #4-5:

Right across Seigle from the townhomes: these two awesome bunker buildings' lots are for sale. 

Who wants to wager whether a new buyer will reno the structures (like the buildings at Harrill/Belmont), or razed for more townhomes? 

Are these the townhomes being built next to the train tracks? I'm baffled at how this is going to be constructed in a way so that the homeowners don't feel or hear loud rumblings, vibrations, or train whistles constantly.

Trains use those tracks  literally every day, multiple times a day. And they often blow their whistle because there's a train crossing at Davidson and also one at Louise. This townhome project is directly in between those crossings, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trains blow their whistle right next to them.

I think it's manipulative and even unethical for a developer to build townhomes right there. I'm sure the developers pat themselves on the back saying "the buyer knows what they're getting" but I can guarantee you right now someone will buy one of those townhomes not realizing the heavy train volume (and vibrations, and whistles) along those tracks.

2 hours ago, fortibus said:

Are these the townhomes being built next to the train tracks? I'm baffled at how this is going to be constructed in a way so that the homeowners don't feel or hear loud rumblings, vibrations, or train whistles constantly.

Trains use those tracks  literally every day, multiple times a day. And they often blow their whistle because there's a train crossing at Davidson and also one at Louise. This townhome project is directly in between those crossings, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trains blow their whistle right next to them.

I think it's manipulative and even unethical for a developer to build townhomes right there. I'm sure the developers pat themselves on the back saying "the buyer knows what they're getting" but I can guarantee you right now someone will buy one of those townhomes not realizing the heavy train volume (and vibrations, and whistles) along those tracks.

Idk... there are certain ways builders build with freight vibration in mind. I can't speak for these, but CapRock, thr developer, said at the initial public meetings they were using high quality materials  to that end.

I can say, living one block from that train, that you get used to it after a month. And there are at least a dozen houses right along it (more if you count Chantilly, etc) so I don't know. As long as the structures don't deteriorate due to the noise I think it's reasonable...

Then, considering Belmont Ave will grow as a main street with a convenient bus running through to Uptown, these townhomes are in a great location... again, as long as the structures are built sufficiently.

• Like 2

I agree that this is barely the worst case of train noise risk even within 1/2 a mile of this site.    There are sound proofing options in the build that shouldn't be that onerous for the developer, especially not when most train noise becomes white-noise   

Hoping that is true.  

I think a coming trend in a couple decades is that the poorly built buildings will become the 'bad neighborhoods' of the future.  Over time people will fewer better options will accept the problems of those buildings.   Overall it is a shame to think that our standards are not higher for noise and other issues in dense urban life. 

• Like 1

What's crazy is I saw wildlife just off of Siegle the other night, a doe was crossing the street. It amazes how deer, and other creatures roam in an area with all that development near by.  I live near by in Optimist Park, and I saw 3 deer along Parkwood. 

32 minutes ago, Nolan said:

What's crazy is I saw wildlife just off of Siegle the other night, a doe was crossing the street. It amazes how deer, and other creatures roam in an area with all that development near by.  I live near by in Optimist Park, and I saw 3 deer along Parkwood. 

I frequently see at most 1 stag and 2 doe at a time along the Greenway around OP/Belmont/Seigle Point!

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

And a few hours later we've got a sign!

I don't get it, but perhaps this means I can get a free gyro on Halloween :P

20180720_133621.png

Maybe Illegal Aliens? Donal Trump will love it

2 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I was looking forward to this place, but it looks like she changed the menu but not the NY prices. I wanted to try some of the hot dishes I had seen rave reviews for online. Not sure if I want to pay $18 for a salad, though. 

Same. I think she will struggle in this area with those prices.

• Like 1