Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

On 9/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, KJHburg said:

Met a Duke employee at Marine Week who is moving to the new Tompkins Mills office.  They work in digital applications.  The move in date is the weekend after Thanksgiving was supposed to be in August.  They said 350 or so workers will be there and they expect to the be the only tenant until the food hall tenants open early next year.   They also knew all about the new office tower and said When not if.  

Please elaborate! What is this about a new office tower? I haven't heard these rumors. Where would it be located?

7 minutes ago, fortibus said:

Please elaborate! What is this about a new office tower? I haven't heard these rumors. Where would it be located?

There is a whole category thread about this and all speculation at this point.  But last year Childress Klein filed a document about a new high rise on Duke owned land on S Tryon then quickly rescinded it when it became public.   However Duke owns the land on S Tryon.  Here is the thread   

• Like 1

There is near zero chance of merchandise retailing going in the ground floor of a project like this.  The point of including retail spaces in these buildings is that they may have small ubiquitous bodega / wine and beer shop / dry cleaning / sandwich shop / etc that serves the needs of the new residents and maybe a few others a block in each direction.   Without the space put in for those, they obviously will not exist... ever, even if the area is built out completely and will definitely support them.  

In this case Thompkins Hall and the 15th Street strip of shops will serve many of those needs, but it will be important to have the space that can be filled in the long run. 

Of course a current trend is to serve many needs like dry cleaning, coffee, etc, as a resident amenity, so maybe that is a trend that makes those old small businesses less viable in the new cardboard box apartment trend.   

• Like 1

Yeah, when I mentioned retail for this project, I was thinking more on the lines of a small coffee shop / beer shop / small restaurant.  Definitely agree that merchandise retail wouldn't work here.  I just can't believe that the developer didn't include anything on the corner of N Davidson and Belmont.  I just thought this would be a great opportunity to create an interesting area with Birdsong being right there and everything else being going on in the area.  To me this is just another missed opportunity.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, atlrvr said:

There are approved site plans and elevations in Accela.

I still can't figure out how to find projects in Accela, lol. But I did just notice the elevations posted on the last page.

Rezoned in 2017, dang. I had no idea, otherwise the community could have pushed for "flex space" that could be commercial in the future, like NRP's Parkwood Residences, and the 36th St units at Mercury NoDa.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Going off the Charlotte Development map figures, there is just about 1750  units under construction in those pictures.

Whatever job these residents that are going to move into them have, I want it. Better yet, just give me the Mega Millions winning numbers. 

Edited by gman430

Relevant to most of these projects is the 25th street bridge.  Noticed there was a recent update:

10/12/2018

This project is now in the utility relocation phase. During this phase, utility infrastructure such as underground gas, water and sewer lines, as well as overhead power, telephone and television lines, are moved as needed to make way for construction of the project improvements. By the end of this year, the City will invite contractors to submit bids to construct the project, and construction is expected to start by mid-2019.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ That is the Chadbourne Mill and it is to be renovated into creative office space. 

Here's a short YouTube video (1.57 mins long) showing the Chadbourn Hosiery Mill before & after the proposed renovation.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2018 at 4:19 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

How many years will go by before this sliver of land between Parkwood Station and Tompkins Mill is sold and developed?

If the City can rearrange 277 and sell off the surplus land, surely it's only a matter of time and market conditions for this to happen, too...?

I thought the Tompkins Hall people owned that piece also?  Railroad might own a portion also.

On 10/25/2018 at 4:26 PM, JBS said:

I really want to know how long before the rail yard is relocated and Charlotte's Central Park is built.  I know it's been discussed (see below) but is anyone seriously pursuing this?

Queens Park

A grass roots effort to convert a 220-acre rail yard along North Tryon into a 'Central Park' for the city of Charlotte. A proposal to develop this public space for recreation, education, cultural programs and civic events, Queens Park would serve as a bridge connecting the surrounding neighborhoods to Charlotte’s $1.2B light rail extension. Flywheel Group continues to promote interest and attract partnerships for this initiative. 

I used to think that would be a smart idea, but now I am thinking something more like this, or this.

WRT Queens Park initiative, I think the only way you will ever get the buy in from NS to move their rail yard would be to offer them a huge chunk of money probably somewhere North of $150mil for the 220 acres considering its proximity to Uptown.  Considering environmental cleanup on this site will likely also cost a crap ton, my guess is that the city will not be able to get the site plus cleanup costs for less than $175mil and would probably looking at a price tag of $200mil or greater.  I think the only way to get the city to purchase the site is if they have the ability to recoup, most if not all, the costs of such a transaction. That certainly won't happen if it is converted into civic space.

I think a path forward that may make sense would be to offer to purchase the rail yard from NS and to offer them a lease on some additional land adjacent to the intermodal yard between the runways at the airport so they can rebuild the yard there.  Then the city would need to clean up the land, implement infrastructure such as new streets on the land and sell off the excess 200+ acres left over for just North of $1mil per acre (average) to developers and get the land back on the tax rolls.   That's really the only scenario under which I can see the rail yard being moved.  Certainly, in no circumstances do I see a 220 acre park coming to the rail yard.