Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

6 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Most isolated transit station in the entire country

Nah, its just down the street from Brooks, making it one of the most important stations on the BLE.

(I have ridden nearly every weekday since the BLE opened and, other than my three trips to Brooks, I have never once seen anybody use the station)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Nah, its just down the street from Brooks, making it one of the most important stations on the BLE.

(I have ridden nearly every weekday since the BLE opened and, other than my three trips to Brooks, I have never once seen anybody use the station)

I once accidentally got off on it instead of 36th because I was drunk.  Had to wait 15 minutes for the next train home :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Don't you guys think that the new Wood Partners - 261 Unit Apartment at 25th Street & Brevard will breathe some life into this station at 25th?  That mixed with better connectivity across Little Sugar Creek?

Absolutely and this station was planned in the future for what will happen.  After the criticism of the South line where there is a long stretch between East/West Station and New Bern station, CATS was actually planning ahead this time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:
4 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Don't you guys think that the new Wood Partners - 261 Unit Apartment at 25th Street & Brevard will breathe some life into this station at 25th?  That mixed with better connectivity across Little Sugar Creek?

Absolutely and this station was planned in the future for what will happen.  After the criticism of the South line where there is a long stretch between East/West Station and New Bern station, CATS was actually planning ahead this time.  

It will be very well used eventually, I just wish the bridge would be quicker.  Right now Villa Heights is cut off from it.  Combine it with the proposed greenway extension from Cordelia and it will be a great stop.....eventually.  

I stopped into the new BBQ spot in Belmont today beside Siggy's. They did a nice job with the spot. The BBQ was okay. Brunswich stew was quite good IMO.

The brick building across the street appears as though it will be a vet clinic. Belmont is really starting to come along. I like that there are several retail spots scattered throughout the neighborhood.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

One of these is coming soon to the Belmont neighborhood of Charlotte.  does anyone have any updates?  It is near those new mini warehouses on Siegle I think. 

FYI original location of White Duck Taco  in Asheville has moved down by the river now on Riverside Drive.  

White Duck is going into the retail space of the "Belmont Mills" storage facility. Is that what you're asking?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

One of these is coming soon to the Belmont neighborhood of Charlotte.  does anyone have any updates?  It is near those new mini warehouses on Siegle I think. 

FYI original location of White Duck Taco  in Asheville has moved down by the river now on Riverside Drive.  \

IMG_7396.JPG

What a cool spot for t hem to take. I love that building.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What a cool spot for t hem to take. I love that building.

Their Johnson City, TN location is in an old re-purposed railroad depot that shares common seating  (inside and outside) with the brewery next door.  Its a really cool space (and the food is great and priced well) for both the food and beer. 

http://fabulousindeed.com/2016/07/white-duck-taco-shop-johnson-city/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, southslider said:

Part of me wishes the 25th St connection hadn't been delayed. But if that means having a better greenway connection as well, then the delayed but expanded project will ultimately make this one very connected station.

What news is this comment related to?  Has it been delayed further? 

15 hours ago, Desert Power said:

What news is this comment related to?  Has it been delayed further? 

My comment is responding to everyone's recent complaints about how isolated the station is. Thus, I'd like to remind everyone that this station will eventually be better connected, both to Davidson St by 25th St Ext and to Greater Charlotte by XCLT Trail.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southslider said:

My comment is responding to everyone's recent complaints about how isolated the station is. Thus, I'd like to remind everyone that this station will eventually be better connected, both to Davidson St by 25th St Ext and to Greater Charlotte by XCLT Trail.

Eventually is right.  But the extension is still months away from construction and the trail/greenway items in the master plan is little more than a plan right now.  Just didn't know if anything had changed from that.

Actually the bridge over the creek is scheduled to start this year 2019.  That will be huge for N Davidson and N Brevard to be connected there.   Everyone complains that the stations especially in Southend were spread too far apart and now in lessons learned 25th Station was placed there so that does not happen on this end .  It is for the future and that future is arriving fast. 

• Like 4

This is random, but I just discovered that the commercial block at Pegram St/ Belmont Ave (with the beautiful two-story brick building and Fat Back Queen) used to have a commercial building on the other corner of Pegram/15th St.

It looks like it was in really bad shape. It's still a shame. Fortunately Belmont will hopefully have a thriving inter-neighborhood commercial presence with its existing buildings on Belmont Ave, Seigle, and Pegram.

image.png.8e5dfad8a0209a1afe0aa627fe3324f3.png

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know when the XCLT Greenway will start?  And is it fully funded by both the County and City?

I don't know, sorry to change the subject :o

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know when the XCLT Greenway will start?  And is it fully funded by both the County and City?

Different segments are at different stages of design & funding. Recent summary at this post. The official XCLT site also has tons of info, organized by segment. https://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/CIP/Pages/CrossCharlotteTrail.aspx

• Like 1

Can some construction people help me out here?

This is the old Farrar store at Belmont Ave / Harrill St. What are they doing here? They've knocked out seemly random stretches of bricks along the side, and appear to not be extending them lower. Note the vertical scoring that was done seemingly at random intervals.

I'd have thought it was oultines for windows, except it is not in any regular pattern.

IMG_20190103_140158.jpg

IMG_20190103_140221.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot