Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

On 2/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, KJHburg said:

Does CoHab have any projects in construction yet?  I really like the approach they seem to be taking.  They seem to have won over the elected representative in District 1 as well, making the argument that higher density, small but affordable units near transit make sense and are more in keeping with the character of the neighborhoods than the mcmansions that are being built in one to one teardowns across the near-in neighborhoods East and North of Uptown. 

• Like 2

Remember this man's name, Harrison Tucker. While not the only person of CoHab, and far from the only small-scale developer in Charlotte, he and his team seem to be doing the most outside the box thinking in their projects, and thus starting a deeper conversation. 

I heard they put a bid in on the Farrar store/Sweet Lew's land two years ago that involved complete mid-density infill in the parking lots, but in the end the council wanted only a rehab job for now. I'd love to see what they had in mind.

From the BizJournal article for those who can't see:

Infill developer proposes fourth Charlotte project in Belmont neighborhood

CoHab is seeking to rezone a 0.5-acre parcel at Seigle Avenue and East 15th Street to build up to 35 residential units and one commercial space (measuring about 1,500 square feet)

By Ashley Fahey 
Staff Writer, Charlotte Business Journal
Feb 19, 2019, 2:54pm EST

A developer that says it focuses on small-scale, environmentally friendly residential development has filed a rezoning petition to build more housing in the Belmont neighborhood.

CoHab is seeking to rezone a 0.5-acre parcel at Seigle Avenue and East 15th Street to build up to 35 residential units and one commercial space (measuring about 1,500 square feet). The rezoning is the fourth one filed by CoHab CEO Harrison Tucker and John Perovich, the company's chief financial officer, in Charlotte and would appear to be the group's largest yet.

CoHab is seeking to build high-density, infill townhouse projects in neighborhoods near the light rail — among the petitions filed last year, it has proposed small projects in Optimist Park and Belmont, with a stated goal of building residences with moderate density, net-zero energy and sustainable materials that are close to transit. Some of its projects, including one proposed at the corner of East 17th and North McDowell streets, include homes that would be eligible for HouseCharlotte, a program that allows for-sale housing to be affordable for a household earning 80% of the area median income (AMI).

In fact, that proposed development spurred a conversation at Charlotte City Council's zoning meeting in the fall about increased density in former mill neighborhoods, including Belmont, where mammoth homes are being built byright next to small craftsman-style bungalows. CoHab's projects are seeking a level of density that's atypical in those areas but, Tucker said at that meeting, CoHab is aiming to address the "missing middle" housing market, and increased density is a way to preserve a degree of affordability in the area. Neighborhoods near the Blue Line have gentrified at a rapid clip as property values have soared in those areas and the proximity to mass transit has enticed developers to build there, leading to a number of higher-density projects (typically in the form of market-rate apartments) in walking distance to the Blue Line.

Tucker declined to comment on the latest proposed Belmont project when reached this week. A site plan filed with the rezoning petition says one of the units at the project would be for-sale affordable for 80% AMI with a 10-year restriction on the property resale, a typical condition for homes in the HouseCharlotte program

The rezoning petition will come before City Council for a public hearing, followed by a vote at a separate meeting.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pathb said:

Does CoHab have any projects in construction yet?  I really like the approach they seem to be taking.  They seem to have won over the elected representative in District 1 as well, making the argument that higher density, small but affordable units near transit make sense and are more in keeping with the character of the neighborhoods than the mcmansions that are being built in one to one teardowns across the near-in neighborhoods East and North of Uptown. 

Seems their projects are in Charlotte or San Fran

Here is their website   https://www.cohabdev.com/connect

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

The sign company, yes? Couldn't say. The buildings owners are the same who have owned it for years. So I'm not sure what their plans are 

FYI, they have still been there as I've walked by the last few days.  One detail I have noticed recently is that the art studio on the corner has some really cool stone benches.  I'll try to grab some pictures.  Could be a nice outdoor area for food trucks or other stuff.

7 hours ago, sakami said:

Photos of Hawthorne Mill today. It was so bright and sunny it was hard to get good pictures. 

9386AB63-3096-4E9D-A0C7-983415133E87.jpeg

2nd photo. Sorry for multiple posts

DC4AA3BC-3BF1-4685-90CD-389499DE3F07.jpeg

I know there was a conversation here a few days ago about the atrocity of painting historic brick white, but this is a very good looking white brick building, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Who owns this / what are they doing?

Site is clearly visible from train while riding into Uptown and it is actively being graded.

1810632567_ScreenShot2019-02-28at9_20_24AM.thumb.png.87bfe5d87dec9b80401bdf2b8502a6cb.png

I think most of the grading has been about the city / county drainage project over there.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

I do believe portions of this mill were already painted white, so I think this decision to partially paint it was based on that.

This building is going for Historic tax credits, so they were not able to paint any brick that wasn’t already painted. The front elevation as well as part of the upper elevation needed to be repainted. Everything else was left as is. 

I went in that building prior to construction of the apartments as well. The lower floor on the rail side was stuffed with so much crap... like years of left overs from Goodwill drop offs. The space right above that was storage for 1980s traditional hotel furnishings. It looks a LOT different now than it did back then!  

• Like 2

Does anyone have any experience with the build quality of Ryan Homes products (the townhome project at 16th St, across from Optimist Hall)? In curious how their quality of product typically is.

4 hours ago, Desert Power said:

The overhead shows how disappointing the amount of surface are in this area. 

Here's hoping the Optimist Hall owners develop/sell at least two of their THREE parcels of parking lots (two separate, one behind the mill) for infill sooner rather than later.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1