Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

I just saw on News14 Carolina that Charlotte was one of the few cities across the nation to be selected for a Kroc Community Center. News 14 also said that the new Community Center could go at the intersection of 10th street and Seigel Road near Uptown, but it has not been determined yet. The Kroc Community Center is the work of philanthropist Joan Kroc, who is the wife of McDonald's Founder, Ray Kroc.

I think this is awesome for the City of Charlotte.

Here is the Link to News14's website:

Kroc Community Center

This topic has some additional discussion on the Kroc Center.

It is an extremely exciting prospect for Belmont.

On the "rough renderings" that I saw I noted a tower on one of the corners of the project. Will this be something like a Johnston & Whales tower where it is just used for aesthetics, or will it actually be a tower that is "occupied"?

A2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/15394294.htm

It looks like the first residents of Alpha Mill will be there next month!!! Once people live there, they will start to affect the area in a serious way. That is very exciting for First Ward and for Optimist Park.

Here is there new website, with the history and other details:

http://www.alpha-mill.com/

I thought Doug's article yesterday about the renovated Alpha Mill Apts coming online in a month was very interesting. The rent is varied from the mid 600s to 1,800 a mth. The building is very cool. I used to work in a converted mill loft and living in one is even more fun. Maybe I will check it out when I finally get kicked out of my gentrifying building. The website is very well done: www.alpha-mill.com

I went to Alpha Mills today to reserve a unit and the rents already went up $25 in one week since I was last there. Also, I got the second to last studio unit which is priced at $645. This project is in such demand that they believe rents will go up even more over the next few weeks. If anyone is interested in the project, I would act quickly. The studios are small but the amenities in the project are outstanding.

I went to Alpha Mills today to reserve a unit and the rents already went up $25 in one week since I was last there. Also, I got the second to last studio unit which is priced at $645. This project is in such demand that they believe rents will go up even more over the next few weeks. If anyone is interested in the project, I would act quickly. The studios are small but the amenities in the project are outstanding.

I look forward to having another UPer in the neighborhood.

Alpha Mills and the adjacent construction that is going to put the street grid back will drastically improve the area. One of the old mill houses on Belmont near the Wiping Cloth building is being renovated. The old ladies next door are real friendly, and seem to be excited to see young faces.

Belmont, on the other hand needs major support; it will take a miracle to transform that place into a safe, livable, mixed-race and mixed-income area. But miracles do happen.

Optimist Park is a secluded little enclave that is now being overhauled. Rip Farris needs to start tearing down "Urban Stash" as soon as the rezoning takes place on Sept. 18. Hopefully that will push the bass-booming Chevy Caprices off Caldwell.

FYI: Friday morning I noticed some city engineers along 15th and North Davidson Street. They informed me that they were making some tentative plans for sidewalks that will be connecting into the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.

The Little Hornet grocery at the intersection of 15th and Davidson has also closed hopefully some developer will do something special to coincide with the Urban Storage plan.

In the 2002 Optimist Park revitalization plan it was discussed that the city consider buying out Hunter Auto. Does anyone know if the city plans too buy out Hunter Auto and encourage more development in the area? :P

Does anyone know what the new construction will be beside the Salvation Army on Seigle? I just noticed it today and was curious.

Welcome AntB glad to see more intrest in this site. I think the developement your talking about is Rezoning Petition 2004-079.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2004-079.htm

Edited by SCOTTER

The Little Hornet grocery at the intersection of 15th and Davidson has also closed hopefully some developer will do something special to coincide with the Urban Storage plan.

:P

Are you sure that store closed? I know it was open last week, though I did notice that the hours were weird.