Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Anybody heard of any new development after the block 90 project. Does anyone no if an investor is going to redevelope the old convinance store across the stree from the block 90 project.

The church behind/beside the store bought it. We're still waiting to see what they're going to do with it, if anything.

I've noticed a complete lack of work it seems over the last month or two on the Piedmont Courts site. Anyone know what the hold up is? The site is cleared and the concrete medians for the streets and utilities appear to all be in place but no other work besides that.

Ask and you shall receive. There were trucks onsite today working.

And just two days later, an update on Seigle Point - Sold Out! (pending a few applications). Good news for the 50 townhome community (which one of my applications is pending, btw). The rest of the project includes apartments, incase no one has seen an update on the site plan. There is also still a condo building and office building that is still pending by the decision of Grubb...

There was talk a while ago by Grubb to go 12 stories on a condo building.....which would have been across Seigle from the townhomes.

Also, I wonder if the office building is for the relocation of the CHA, so that they can vacate their South End headquarters so that site can be redeveloped.

I can't find a site plan for that whole Seigle Corner online, but I do have a paper copy. To try and describe things, the condo tower is going along 12th St. No details or specs on it, just that Grubb's master plan on it included it, but it was still being evaluated and definitly would come in the future after the Townhomes and Apts were up (which by the way expected move-ins for Spring 2008). The office space (no word on tower or just low-rise) is proposed as the other area along 12th Ave where the condos are proposed. Like the condos, this is still pending upon approval and whether Grubb wants to or not, although it is said that these 2 project are probably in the future by Grubb. Last there was a plan for a community center (pool, personal office space, meeting center, etc), this is proposed but may not get built of all of the projects on this site.

Here's one site plan for the east side of Seigle Avenue, which approves rezoning for a structure of up to 100 feet in height. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not. One document (the community report) describes it as "primarily 3 or 4 story residential for-sale and for-rent buildings, with a possibility of light retail on the corner."

I can't wait to see this complete. I like how The Garden District / 1st Ward looks coming in from Independence or when on 277. The rows of townhomes, to me, look great with other buildings mixed in. I can't wait to see this area when on 277 and that look extends to the other side. I do hope some larger buildings are mixed in the Seigle project -- right now we are beginning to ring the outside of 277 with mid-rise on 2 sides, completing it all the way around will be fantastic.

I'm surprised that little mini-mart on the opposite corner doesn't do some renovating and possibly convert to a gas station. Like you said, the market is going to be huge soon and there aren't a ton of other options in that general area until you get further down Central.

Exactly. That area is prime though for more investments. I love the fork-in-the-road where 12th Ave is split from Central Ave. Right now its a run down spot, but the shape of the lot that is formed is prime from the roads that bound it. I would love to see some retail go there. Also directly across the street from Seigle on the other side of 12th is going to have some potential. That permit for 100 ft of height is nice, I hope they could max on a building with that giving us a nice midrise over on this side of town, thats what, 8-10 stories at most, nice! I hope the rest of the projects go as planned, seeing the success that Seigle Point has already had. This area has a lot of hope with Grubb's investments, plus we know Grubb is eager to get the streetcar line down Eliabeth, maybe he'd be willing to invest more to get it all the way down to Seigle Point. I can't wait until this connection is made giving a direct, easy route to uptown.

I concure with the garden district also. The transition between 1st Ward and now the Seigle Point area is supreme, it's really a continuation judging by the style. And the greenway is going to be awesome. Direct access from Seigle Point to the Met. By look of the site plan, they did include a nice portion of the Greenway for "green space", where activities can be held by families.

Also, I think it was mentioned earlier, there are plans for redevelopment on the site across the street from Seigle Point on Seigle Ave. This is currently Char-Meck land used, but it looks like good things there!

I guess now, stay tuned... the roads are paved on site and it looks like foundation work should quickly begin (Should be ready Spring 2008).

• 4 weeks later...

940 Brevard is coming along quickly, thanks for the updated photos. Bloc90 site work is still underway- there was a hydraulic fluid tank that was removed along with contaminated soil that was replaced. They have finished levelling the ground where the buildings are to go, and I think they will start utility work on Monday to install the storm-water piping which is already on site. It is moving along well, but I do not see the project being completed in January- maybe next spring though. Does anyone have information on how the sales have been for Bloc90? I am interested to know how many they have pre-sold. There is a lot on North Davidson that is under contract near the greenway entrance at 17th St. All these lots along that strip are zoned R-5, and the sale sign suggested putting condos on the site. It would be a nice place for a series of "urban" condos between Parkwood and 16th since these lots are literally on the greenway with the potential for skyline views. The other side of the street has a much better potential for renovations for renovations of the historic single-family homes. And if/when the railyard moves, that stretch on Parkwood will be another perfect spot for a linear set of townhomes with fascianting morning views of uptown, in addition to all the space open for retail, parks, restaurants, etc. If only Hunter Tire and Auto can find a buyer! For those questioning other investments in the area, there are smaller projects popping up, like the series of 4 condos on the greenway at the end of 15th St. from North Davidson. Although this is a "sketchy" area right now, having eyes on the street and park are going to drastically change that hotspot. This area, as many state, will be a whole lot different in the near future, and is currently a nice, pleasant neighborhood that is transitioning well. People may be getting shot, but it is due to drugs and slumlords that are not active in the community. The CMPD has identified these locations, and are pushing to take these unactive landlords to court. The system is slow, and it is up to the community members to help push these local issues forward.

It is such a relief to have all the industrial zoning removed from the core section of Optimist Park. Granted it remains within the rail yards area as well as that strip betwen Brevard and Davidson by Cordelia Park. Having the proper zoning to fulfill the plans for the area, and now the development momentum is really a very strong thing for this neighborhood. Once the remaining grandfathered businesses leave, this area will really be able to take off.

Like you, tarik, I really hope Hunter finds a buyer soon.

One of the 5 buildings is already built and being lived in by owners. As far as the others, I know the rest of the land was completely cleared, and they were beginning foundation work on 2 of the 5 buildings, but I haven't seen any recent updates.

None of Bloc 90 is built yet. You must be referring to Opt 12.

None of Bloc 90 is built yet. You must be referring to Opt 12.

Hmm- I'll have to drive by again. I know there is a structure at the corner of 15th and N. Caldwell. And the rest of the land on the block that is bordered by N. Caldwell, N. Davidson, 15th, 16th St's is all cleared with foundation work being worked. When I look at both of these projects websites, referring to Bloc90 and Opt12, are they using the same block? I could have sworn I was looking at Bloc90, and the site plan for that block included 5 buildings- which I thought were all for Bloc90, and where a sixth building would been to complete the block would be a park instead. I will take another look and snap some photos later in the week.

Hmm- I'll have to drive by again. I know there is a structure at the corner of 15th and N. Caldwell. And the rest of the land on the block that is bordered by N. Caldwell, N. Davidson, 15th, 16th St's is all cleared with foundation work being worked. When I look at both of these projects websites, referring to Bloc90 and Opt12, are they using the same block? I could have sworn I was looking at Bloc90, and the site plan for that block included 5 buildings- which I thought were all for Bloc90, and where a sixth building would been to complete the block would be a park instead. I will take another look and snap some photos later in the week.

Yeah, that building is Opt 12. Bloc 90 will be 5 buildings in the same block as Opt 12. If you look at the site plan on bloc90.com you can see the shaded out building is Opt 12 and there are two Bloc 90 buildings that will be facing 15th and 3 buildings lining 16th street.

Yeah, that building is Opt 12. Bloc 90 will be 5 buildings in the same block as Opt 12. If you look at the site plan on bloc90.com you can see the shaded out building is Opt 12 and there are two Bloc 90 buildings that will be facing 15th and 3 buildings lining 16th street.

Oooooohhhhh. Thanks for clarifying that. I knew I wasnt dreaming when I saw what I did, I had no clue this was seperate, stupid me.

• 3 weeks later...

Site work on Bloc90 is moving ahead; they work from 7am-7pm every day; but I cannot complain about the noise. A couple days ago the city posted a "Optimist Park Sidewalk Improvement" sign on North Davidson Street between 15th and 16th on the west side on the street. I am researching this a bit more, and think it is part of the larger Belmont/ Seigle Avenue Pedscape plan. Since they get all the money, they share some of it across the creek, as far as I know. The townhouses at the "drug corner" at 15th on the creek are nearing completion. Doea anyone have information regarding the sales?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this project is actually considered Optimist Park or Belmont. Apparently, John R Poore plans to build the same product as Industry29 (Independence & Briarcreek) on a triangular parcel on North Poplar just outside the 277 loop. The name (City View Terrace) is a little redundant, but I still think the product is nice. There will be more units on the site new uptown site. If the units at Briarcreek are selling in the mid 300s, I wonder what these new units will sell for. My Townhome now has the listing for both projects.

City View Terrace Website