Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

CATS has not come forward with any changes so far.

The CATS proposed parking garage does not take up any of the land that is currently used for this park.

I think I said this before but the current stimulus money would be used to repair/upgrade the existing CATS buildings. It could not be used for the planned new garage but CATS did try to market this as an all-or-nothing deal. The renovation should happen regardless of the decision on the new structure.

I think I said this before but the current stimulus money would be used to repair/upgrade the existing CATS buildings. It could not be used for the planned new garage but CATS did try to market this as an all-or-nothing deal. The renovation should happen regardless of the decision on the new structure.

Excellent! Thanks for that clarification - and great to hear!

And yes - CATS presented this as all-or-nothing many times to the public. Shame!

• 2 months later...

I talked with Rip and he mentioned that Cox Shepp was onboard to complete the construction and remobilize in September. Here we are 2 months later. I attended the Neighborhood Development and Zoning public hearing put on by the inspector for the area, and they are actively pursuing a demolition process based off the demolition petition that was put together by residents of Optimist Park. The case is atypical for them, and they are having to go through 16 title holders and lien holders. Rip mentioned to them the 2-week timeframe to the City also. There was a sub from Bloc90 that did the exterior and he mentioned that he has a lien fro $100K. If you walk the site it is apparent that most of the valuable materials have been looted.

Oh yah, the sub I talked to at the hearing also mentioned that he works with Cox Shepp and has heard nothing to the effect that Tuscan is hiring them. I would be extremely surprised to see construction resume considering the expense it would take to fix the project from the deteriorated state it is in. By the way, aren't all of Tuscan's projects in Charlotte a failure? The Observer referenced Hagood and that there are companies that are going after Rip's personal assets, and his wife's. Even though I would like to, I don't believe the hype.

• 2 weeks later...

St Paul Baptist Church has hired Neighboring Concepts to design a multi-block residential project in the heart of Belmont.

It would be a total of 162 residential units in a mix of townhome and multi-story multi-family and also some senior housing.

They have applied for Rezoning which will have the public hearing in Jan 2010.

You can see the Site Plan here:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2010/001_011/2010-009%20site%20plan%20rev.pdf

Good to see some development activity in the heart of Belmont.

• 2 weeks later...

Grading is taking place at Alexander Street Park, and the adjoining land in Seigle Point (this is the triangle of land just across the creek from the park. I didn't realize this was the same project (although I am very glad to see something happening at the Seigle Point parcel). Up until now, there has been a pedestrian bridge across the creek which lead to no where...

• 1 month later...

CATS has posted elevations and plans for their facility upgrades.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Rapid+Transit+Planning/Center+City/STS+Rezoning+Petition+2009-039.htm

The brick with the tall multistory windows is a nice industrial callback, but they added some goofy precast arches to the top of each window. This is where someone should have taken a hint from "less is more"

How do I get a job with CATS/Charmeck/etc?

I can put together a mean 1-slide "master-plan" PowerPoint presentation. Maybe even throw a cool font or two.

HAHAHA, I did a freelance design gig for the MTA in NYC and all the Ads I did for the SubwayTalk were no joke on Microsoft Word!!! And I got paid a crap load of money to do them. They had a "look" they had to have, and no joke they looked like they were from the 1970s. For instance...

offeraseatsquare1000.gif

Anywas sorry for the Off topic stuff.

I really like the Building, although I hope it doesn't get too CHEESED up like the UNCC and CPCC buildings. They look nice, but they have some overtly cheesy characteristics.

Some Area 15 news: Carlos was originally seeking to open a coffee shop at the Area 15 property on Parkwood at Pegram. Because the rezoning was (for now) too expensive at that site, the coffeeshop, Not Just Coffee co-op, will be opening on 15th St. with street frontage near Caldwell. There are still plans for the small business incubator at the Parkwood site but I don't have a timeline on that. Not sure how soon the coffeeshop will open either.

I wish the original plans for the large Parkwood redevelopment could have been realized a few years ago, but it seems the city really bungled the property acquisition around the area. This could have been as big as the redevelopment of Piedmont Courts/Siegle Point.

• 5 months later...

I have yet to lay my own eyes upon it, but I am told that there is movement at Bloc 90. A new job trailer has shown up, and things are getting underway...

I noticed a new chainlink fence about 2 weeks ago... but I haven't see anything else - of course Davidson is detoured right now at the CSX tracks for resurfacing of the crossing.

I noticed a new chainlink fence about 2 weeks ago... but I haven't see anything else - of course Davidson is detoured right now at the CSX tracks for resurfacing of the crossing.

Driving by today the fence looks temporary (there are no bars at the top or bottom of the fence to keep it taught) and there was also no heavy use gate evident (but I just passed by on Davidson). My impression was they were preparing for demolition.

(The CSX crossing is much flatter now)

EDIT: Drove around the site today on my way home. The gate and trailer are on the Caldwell St side adjacent the existing condos on the block. They certainly would not set up a trailer for demolition, its just a crappy fence.

Edited by kermit