Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

I went to the food truck rally tonight at Area 15.

It was well attended and a pretty cool atmosphere.

They've been doing it every other week, but they will start doing it every Thursday in May.

I think Pure Pizza opening in that area will really help move things along. It looks like there is a bar under construction in the buildings that make up Area 15 as well.

It looks like there is a bar under construction in the buildings that make up Area 15 as well.

It's a concert venue. There's been a lot of indie music acts touring through as well as local bands. They're doing a lot of work on the space but are doing shows pretty much weekly while working on it; very DIY. There's also Rambling Man cigars opening there soon too. I've done a lot of photos of the businesses in Area 15 and will be working on getting them posted this week. next show is Wed. https://www.facebook.com/events/699106786808269/ Here's some of the music venue:

13119334354_6e8c9d5d58_b.jpg

13781268303_65b91d2d47_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated renderings on Phase 2 of Block 90 or Edgeline Flats, or whatever its called now.

http://ww.charmeck.org/planning/rezoning/2014/023-027/2014-023%20site%20plan%202nd%20rev.pdf

Not bad....Davidson and Caldwell sort of get ignored, but decent presence along 16th.  This would be a decent finish to that block.

On updated submissions for this project, I just noticed that they are proposing converting the bottom floor of the EXISTING building at N Davison and 15th into retail/gallery space.  The new buildings proposed along 16th would be residential only, but lots of "stoops" for the ground floor units.

Between that conversion to retail, (is it just parking under the building now?) and Area 15, that could become a nice little node.

• 5 weeks later...

Optimist Park is kicking ass. Birdsong Brewing will relocate near Magill Rose Garden.

http://www.charlottebeer.com/2014/05/22/birdsong-brewing-signs-lease-on-new-location/

Ill miss the old site, fantastic patio.

This is great because now it will be in walking distance to the music venue at Area Fifteen. The Ramblin Man cigar shop and smoking lounge is open now at Area Fifteen, and Froggy's Bodega will be opening there this summer.

I noticed that the abandoned building next to Piedmont Middle on 10th street now has a D.H. Griffen Demolition sign on it. I wonder if they're finally going to tear down that eyesore? It would definitely make that lot more attractive for potential buyers. I know it is a plot of land the city is helping market for mixed use / residential / office.

As long as they don't put more affordable housing in there I'll be pretty happy. They already went back on their plans with Seigle Point to make the phase 2 apartments 75% market rate by making them all affordable (80% AMI eligible), so there definitely doesn't need to be more affordable units in this area if they hope to turn this part of town around.

Edit: I walked behind the building earlier and there are signs up saying demolition is underway.

Edited by Niner National

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting rezoning for a new restaurant at Seigle Ave and Greentrail.   

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/033-038/2014-034%20site%20plan.pdf

Some more information about the rezoning request.

"Mason Kazel discussed the proposed restaurant and the expected operation parameters. Tim Foley then presented the site plan and the group discussed the site and commitments made by the Petitioner. Tim Foley showed proposed architectural elevations and discussed the design of the proposed facility. Attendees asked what type of cuisine. Mr. Kazel responded that he anticipates serving Mediterranean Cuisine. Mr. Kazel stated that he intended to serve beer and wine at the restaurant but did not have a vision for the facility being a night club in the evenings. Mr. Kazel explained he envisioned a “cultural” place. 

He envisioned an atmosphere similar to NODA in Charlotte. Attendees asked about load music outside and Mr Kazel responded by stating that would not be anticipated. Attendees explained this building was the former Jacobs Ladder for the area and a lot of the people living in the area still refer to the building as that. Mr. Kazel explained that anticipated serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Exact hours are undertermined at this time. But, late night hours was not expected. Typical restaurant hours were discussed as in not later than 11-12 on weekends and maybe 10 during the week."

Seems like a weird place for an establishment like this, but as a property owner at Seigle Point I'm relieved that it isn't expected to be a night club.

The guy better be a hell of a promoter if he expects this place to succeed though. It will be basically invisible to the clientele that will seek Mediterranean food. It's not going to be the kind of place that appeals to most of the residents in Seigle Point.

Also, in unrelated news, the building beside Piedmont Middle looks like it may be torn down very soon. I noticed some heavy equipment was on site now and they've hauled several dumpsters full of material away as they've demo'd the interior.
Edited by Niner National

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove past here the other day and didn't notice any potential signs of future movement. Although the project between this and 277 (forgot the name of it) has made steady progress.

Lofts at Seigle Point.

More low-income housing  :(

When I bought in Seigle Point, that was slated to be market rate apartments.

I would be elated though if something like the above were built. They did just tear down the building that sits on that land, so maybe somebody has something planned.

• 1 month later...

The trees along Caldwell/Brevard in the LYNX right of way have been cut down. The views from even as far back as Brooks Burgers/Matheson Bridge into Uptown are really amazing now. OP, Villa Heights and NoDa feel so much closer to center city now than they did just a couple months ago. 

Can you get pictures sometime? Hard to visualize from 500 miles away :-)

Here is the view from Brevard near the 30th St Bridge:

IMG_7222.JPG

With the lack of trees and flat terrain downtown has a very midwestern feel to it from this vantage.

I hope the light rail spurs development along Brevard. Its like stepping into a whole different world over there.

I hope the light rail spurs development along Brevard. Its like stepping into a whole different world over there.

I believe that within 5 years, Brevard between Parkwood and 28th will be full of Apartments / Condos.  That stretch is between 2 rail stops, perfect!