Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

14 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

As I am from Charlotte, where historical (aka Brick) buildings are torn down all the time, I am obsessed with raw (especially worn) red brick.

Every time I tell this to someone from somewhere like New York, Chicago, Philly, etc, they look at me sideways - I guess because they are so ubiquitous.

The grass is always greener... Absence makes the heart grow fonder... etc, et al

I can understand that, I love brick and stucco buildings in general. I just think the color of this one like many others are sort of dull.  I just love how a building can still be in its natural structure, but get a fresh new look, without being changed in any  other way. 

7 hours ago, Prodev said:

The original plan was to paint the brick, but the historic commission said no to that.

Who is the Commission that is in charge of this?  I was under the assumption that they applied for Federal and State tax incentives for historic preservation, but that it was not really designated or any type of landmark.

NC Historic Preservation Office has to approve an state or federal historic tax credits.

They are actually more stringent than the local HDC, in terms of the level of original detail they expect you to maintain, and can extend requirements to the interior renovation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Any news from our resident supersleuths on Optimist Hall? It's already early 2019 and they don't look nearly done. Also wondering if there are any whispers of additional stalls, restaurants or retailers. I believe space for 19 or so stalls was the initial announcement, but there are only 12 being advertised. 

The most recent open date I heard was first half of May. Fonta Flora has been delayed well beyond that.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Can someone remind me if anything is happening with this building(s) at 25 the St (pic#1) next to Warp + Weft.

I could have sworn it was going to be a brewery. But then I googled and found This CO article about this vacant lot at 21st St (pic#2) going to be Three Pillars Brewing, next to the Parkwood Station apts.

Did I mistake one for the other?

IMG_20190205_134541.jpg

IMG_20190205_134554.jpg

30 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Can someone remind me if anything is happening with this building(s) at 25 the St (pic#1) next to Warp + Weft.

I could have sworn it was going to be a brewery. But then I googled and found This CO article about this vacant lot at 21st St (pic#2) going to be Three Pillars Brewing, next to the Parkwood Station apts.

Did I mistake one for the other?

IMG_20190205_134541.jpg

IMG_20190205_134554.jpg

Nothing has been submitted to the planning department for those buildings. Google search gave me nothing either. Protagonist will be building its own brewery at 21st and Brevard

Interesting: it appears that really cool blue house on 22nd St (pic#1), behind Mona (Art) Studios, is being moved into by a joint venture between non-profits Girls Rock Charlotte, and Pachyderm Music Lab, focusing on creating a live-in experience for women and girls to learn and make music, including house shows, etc.

What I hadn't realized was that Ruth Ava Lyons and Paul Sires, who started the first galleries in North Charlotte/NoDa, and pioneered much of the artistic spirit in the neighborhood, actually own much of the parcels on 22nd St, including an old commercial building across the street (pic#2) that will be getting an Art Bar, and a retail space or two.

https://www.pachydermmusiclab.com/single-post/2019/01/28/Shaping-A-New-Cultural-Center-in-NoDa

From the page:

THE LOCATION:

Paul Sires and Ruth Ava Lyons are credited for Setting the Foundation for the NoDa Arts District.  They built an artist studio space in a falling down warehouse on North Davidson Street in 1983. Their Center of the Earth gallery and community involvement set the stage for NoDa to be the artist hub of Charlotte. Unfortunately, they have also witnessed the NoDa district lose it's sense of culture as high end apartments took over the area and property values skyrocketed.

In 2014 Paul was quoted by Charlotte's local NPR station saying, “When the light rail comes through five years from now – you’re starting to see development already - if you don’t like it now or you wish it was like it was, then you’re going to really hate it because it’s going to be different,” Paul says. “It’s going to be more people and more apartment buildings and more development. So just look for the next place.”

...and they did.  Also known as "Little NoDa" the area of North Davidson Street by Cordelia Park is the new place to be.  Paul and Ruth own most of the property on East 22nd Street (located between Amelie's and Abari Game Bar) and are shaping the new cultural center of NoDa.  

Ruth and Paul are generously welcoming Pachyderm Music Lab and Girls Rock Charlotte into their kick ass house at 423 East 22nd Street because they believe in our mission to give voices to folks through the arts.

In addition to the Rock on 22nd house, there is an Art Bar in the works across the street as well as artist studios and some retail spaces.

image.png.fadc7736d1d4bcefd714919d92110828.png

zz22nd.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Interesting: it appears that really cool blue house on 22nd St (pic#1), behind Mona (Art) Studios, is being moved into by a joint venture between non-profits Girls Rock Charlotte, and Pachyderm Music Lab, focusing on creating a live-in experience for women and girls to learn and make music, including house shows, etc.

What I hadn't realized was that Ruth Ava Lyons and Paul Sires, who started the first galleries in North Charlotte/NoDa, and pioneered much of the artistic spirit in the neighborhood, actually own much of the parcels on 22nd St, including an old commercial building across the street (pic#2) that will be getting an Art Bar, and a retail space or two.

https://www.pachydermmusiclab.com/single-post/2019/01/28/Shaping-A-New-Cultural-Center-in-NoDa

From the page:

Did the business in that building across the street get kicked out?  I thought I saw their van on 22nd just the other day.

36 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The sign company, yes? Couldn't say. The buildings owners are the same who have owned it for years. So I'm not sure what their plans are 

Yeah.  That place is usually the only sign of life on that road when I walk down it.  They just tore one of the remaining older houses and it looks like another is a tattoo parlor. Would be great to get more activity in this area.

Edited by Desert Power

35 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Yeah.  That place is usually the only sign of life on that road when I walk down it.  They just tore one of the remaining older houses and it looks like another is a tattoo parlor. Would be great to get more activity in this area.

Oh wow. Well the Sires/Lyons clan have said they hope to make it a "mini-NoDa" street. It will be interesting to see how they do so. I didn't even think about the 4 houses being business. Pretty cool.

39 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Oh wow. Well the Sires/Lyons clan have said they hope to make it a "mini-NoDa" street. It will be interesting to see how they do so. I didn't even think about the 4 houses being business. Pretty cool.

There is going to be a lot more people living near there soon and there are several large blocks that I would be become big apartment blocks sooner rather than later. (Southeast lighting and most of the land along Brevard).   Still I would think putting something good at the corner they own (22nd and Brevard) would be key to inspiring people to wander down it though, particularly at night. 

Looks like a couple of other players have some contiguous land in the area.  Summit and Ideal have property that fronts both 21st and 22nd.  Would be interesting to see what gets put there.  Some type of smaller scale condo with retail underneath element is a fun idea.  Like along Noda along North Davidson

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 1

Correction: Sires/Lyons own (under "NoDa @ 22nd") these parcels:

-MonaStudios and the two vacant lots behind.

-The afformentioned Blue house

-The commercial bldg across the street

-The bungalow next to that.

So in other words, just enough to make a truly full assemblage difficult for Summit and Ideal, which own all the other lots right around (along with two individual homeowners for the other two homes).

IMG_20190210_092355.png

4 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Correction: Sires/Lyons own (under "NoDa @ 22nd") these parcels:

-MonaStudios and the two vacant lots behind.

-The afformentioned Blue house

-The commercial bldg across the street

-The bungalow next to that.

So in other words, just enough to make a truly full assemblage difficult for Summit and Ideal, which own all the other lots right around (along with two individual homeowners for the other two homes).

IMG_20190210_092355.png

Yeah.  That contiguous land at 22nd and Brevard could really kickstart this area if it is something mixed-use and well-done.  Halfway between two ~250 unit apartment buildings and two light rail stops.  We are due to have a new small/mid size music venue after all Charlotte has lost the last few years (Tremont, Amos, and Chop Shop to name a few).  Would be a good fit with the venture they are putting in the Blue House.  A rooftop bar only a couple stories up would have a pretty cool view from that corner too.

Makes me wish I had enough money for these type of ventures <_<

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Optimist Mill adds another tenant and this one appeals to my senses the El Thrifty Social Club sounds like my kind of place.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/02/22/mexican-cantina-social-club-snags-space-in-60m.html?ana=e_ae_set1&amp;s=article_du&amp;ed=2019-02-22&amp;u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&amp;t=1550878488&amp;j=86842611

I really like the sound of this 

here is their webpage from Greenville https://elthrifty.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2