Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

22 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Ish? The Cross-Charlotte Trail is about 4 blocks away. Parkwood Station is about 3 blocks. There is a comfortable bike route going into Uptown along Brevard, but Parkwood is still unsafe for most cyclists. 

With the road diet Parkwood will get protected bike lanes in both directions as well as a wide multi-use path on the western side connecting to Brevard in both directions... hope they can begin this soon.  https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Documents/ParkwoodBoard101017.pdf 

In fact the portion of the multi-use path on Optimist Hall property (Brevard/Belmont to Parkwood/16th) has been finished for a couple months.  So you can now ride up Brevard from downtown, get onto the path at the mill, and then at 16th turn east or west to continue on bikeable streets avoiding Parkwood for now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, Desert Power said:

Noticed a rezoning notice at CenterStage tonight.  Apparently, according to CBJ, it was bought and planned for redevelopment (along with the former Birdsong spot).  I saw something about this years ago, but assume it is a different plan (but still apartments)

This may not end up being apartments after all. There could be something pretty cool there instead, hopefully will have some more details on that soon.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CLT> said:

This may not end up being apartments after all. There could be something pretty cool there instead, hopefully will have some more details on that soon.

Hopefully not Co-working. I hear Co-working is coming to this stretch of N. Davidson

Ate lunch today here (first in line) at the RAD Asheville location and it reminded me when will I be able to get my Bangkok Shrimp taco or Fried Chicken BLT taco here in Charlotte?  anyone know. 

RAD River Arts District even Ashvegas can come up with some hip names! 

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

• Like 3

On 1/13/2019 at 12:50 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Those two little brick/concrete block buildings on Seigle Ave, right before the RR tracks underpass, have a Now Leasing sign out front for "Retail/Office" and some concept art.

I'm glad to see these getting rehabbed (figures since it's definitely got soil contamination) though the modernistic touches in the concept are so gratuitous on these humbly modest yet already-attractive structures.

IMG_20190113_121937.jpg

IMG_20190113_121922.jpg

IMG_20190113_125519.jpg

They've started doing site work behind these buildings. I suspect theyre just cleaning it up though since it used to be a junkyard back there.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I heard Amelie's is closing and all of the other tenants in that building are being forced out...apparently for a grocery store.  I haven't done my research yet, but an employee at Amelie's confirmed that they were closing.  It honestly would be a great site for an urban grocery store.

Interesting.  I've heard these rumors for a few years now.  Everyone always says their not true, however I can't see how the landlord just sits on so much empty retail space for years on end.   A rumor started on Nextdoor last week that Sycamore was going to build a tap room where Red on 28th was, across from Amelie's, but I just don't see that. 

You should post this in the Villa Heights thread. 

44 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I heard Amelie's is closing and all of the other tenants in that building are being forced out...apparently for a grocery store.  I haven't done my research yet, but an employee at Amelie's confirmed that they were closing.  It honestly would be a great site for an urban grocery store.

Most of the grocery chains that operate in Charlotte are pretty averse to adaptive reuse, and this isn't a very good space for grocery. So I dunno how I feel about this.

52 minutes ago, AP3 said:

From what I've heard it's not a grocery store.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Most of the grocery chains that operate in Charlotte are pretty averse to adaptive reuse, and this isn't a very good space for grocery. So I dunno how I feel about this.

I was talking about the site itself!  I also heard Amelie's wants to open in the immediate area (NoDa) and will try to replicate the space as much as possible.

Edited by AP3

The Matheson connection does make this a worthy spot for build to suit grocery.

And I can get over losing a 1951 building for a grocery store

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The Matheson connection does make this a worthy spot for build to suit grocery.

And I can get over losing a 1951 building for a grocery store

I can see Publix building a store similar to the Cotswold location.  The site will probably require some structured parking.

2 hours ago, AP3 said:

I was talking about the site itself!  I also heard Amelie's wants to open in the immediate area (NoDa) and will try to replicate the space as much as possible.

Amelie's to the left of Free Range would make for a great compliment to the current tenants in that building. 

The original Amelie's, the only 24 hour location. I have not even been for a couple years because Amelie's has been such a ubiquitous part of my life this past decade, but if this happens then they absolutely need to find a new permanent home in the corridor for a 24-hr location. Imagine N Davidson St without a 24/7 Amelie's!

• Like 4

Talking to some of my contacts, it’s sounds like this rumor is true. Dang. Not where I was imagining a grocery. More news soon. Would make me moving to Villa Heights even more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original Amelie's, the only 24 hour location. I have not even been for a couple years because Amelie's has been such a ubiquitous part of my life this past decade, but if this happens then they absolutely need to find a new permanent home in the corridor for a 24-hr location. Imagine N Davidson St without a 24/7 Amelie's!

There will be plenty of adaptive reuse happening on this stretch of N. Davidson doubt they have to move far. And honestly. They can build in another retail space to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some more background on Amelie's:

Court documents show that the lease of the popular French bakery was to have expired in March and that landlords disagreed about negotiating an extension. 

...Relationships among the owners fractured over a dispute involving distribution of the money from the 2016 sale of condos in Plaza-Midwood, court documents say.

Full article here.