Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

Some more background on Amelie's:

Court documents show that the lease of the popular French bakery was to have expired in March and that landlords disagreed about negotiating an extension. 

...Relationships among the owners fractured over a dispute involving distribution of the money from the 2016 sale of condos in Plaza-Midwood, court documents say.

Full article here.

Interesting that Amelie's main beef is the parking.  Not exactly going to find a lot of places near the light rail with that much surface lot anymore.

The lot being used for a lot of their parking is too valuable, particularly if it is combined with a teardown of their current building.

• Like 1

Not Amelie’s, but Buck of Buck’s Heating and Oil + Kelly Tire passed at 90 in late January. That’s a good bit of land and his kids, in their 50s and 60s will likely sell soon. He and my grandmother got married 16 years ago after they both lost their spouses to cancer.

Edit: across the street from Neese’s  Sausage on Davidson.

Edited by CLTNative
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, CLTNative said:

Not Amelie’s, but Buck of Buck’s Heating and Oil + Kelly Tire passed at 90 in late January. That’s a good bit of land and his kids, in their 50s and 60s will likely sell soon. He and my grandmother got married 16 years ago after they both lost their spouses to cancer.

Sorry for your loss. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, kermit said:

The view from the BLE suggests Optimist Hall is getting close. The exterior appears complete, they are starting on landscaping. I am guessing interior upfits are the last obstacle... 

Signage is up on several tenants inside, and upfits are buttoning up. 

Edited by Guest

As I was running by the old Joe's Doughs and Abari building yesterday morning I noticed a sign on the Joe's Doughs door that said something about 'Skate'.  Then I looked in the parking lot and saw a half pipe being built.  I checked the WebPermit site, nothing new as of yet.  I'm wondering if this is where the Skate shop that closed in Plaza could be moving to. 

50 minutes ago, fortibus said:

Drove by Optimist Hall and saw around back that they were painting the brick a tan/sand color...

Is that the way everything is going to look? The early renderings showed the building as a whitish color. And the latest renderings on their website show unpainted brick.

Not sure what this stucco color is. I don't like it.

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

I believe the stucco is were they had to replace old brick. Much of this repair work was done with cinder block (which surprised me) and they hide it using stucco.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, kermit said:

I believe the stucco is were they had to replace old brick. Much of this repair work was done with cinder block (which surprised me) and they hide it using stucco.

I actually like how piecemeal it looks, makes it seem that much more historic. 

image.thumb.png.0d01618a7b69bebc0a792f02fe404dbc.png

image.thumb.png.245bf01607a5a55de0b126e5ab5d1bdf.png

Krog ain't perfect either, and its so nice.

Edited by Guest

21 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I actually like how piecemeal it looks, makes it seem that much more historic. 

Agreed, I think the old and piecemeal fixes combined with modern up-fit in a few places looks fantastic.

Can't imagine they are going with the white any more. If so, white framed windows was a really, really bad idea.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, CLT-704 said:

As I was running by the old Joe's Doughs and Abari building yesterday morning I noticed a sign on the Joe's Doughs door that said something about 'Skate'.  Then I looked in the parking lot and saw a half pipe being built.  I checked the WebPermit site, nothing new as of yet.  I'm wondering if this is where the Skate shop that closed in Plaza could be moving to. 

I think that skate shop moved to Eastway Crossing Shopping Center.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Bruco72 said:

Agreed, I think the old and piecemeal fixes combined with modern up-fit in a few places looks fantastic.

Can't imagine they are going with the white any more. If so, white framed windows was a really, really bad idea.

I think that the Historic credits probably required them to keep the historic brick brick colored and required that any major repairs not try to mimic, but be clear modern repairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeckert said:

Hey. It was supposed to open in June. They were a week away from soft opening, all staff was hired / trained - and then the developer (at random) decided he wanted to wait a month to open mid July so they could wait for a few more shops to be built out. I heard this directly from the owner of Undercurrent Coffee who will have a shop there. It SHOULD be open later this month. 

What a mess