Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

7 hours ago, markeckert said:

Hey. It was supposed to open in June. They were a week away from soft opening, all staff was hired / trained - and then the developer (at random) decided he wanted to wait a month to open mid July so they could wait for a few more shops to be built out. I heard this directly from the owner of Undercurrent Coffee who will have a shop there. It SHOULD be open later this month. 

Great news that it's getting close. Thanks for the info!

Their official website optimisthall.com now says "arriving late summer 2019" ... doesn't sound like July anymore!  Though I agree it would make a lot more sense for them to open once Parkwood is done being torn up for the sewer work.  At least 16th is re-opened now.

I've been meaning to ask, with the road work being done on Parkwood is there any plan to widen the sidewalk down to the Parkwood train station? the existing sidewalk is very narrow, and the brush along the side could use some clean up and landscaping as well. Hopefully they take the opportunity to do it now....

28 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I've been meaning to ask, with the road work being done on Parkwood is there any plan to widen the sidewalk down to the Parkwood train station? the existing sidewalk is very narrow, and the brush along the side could use some clean up and landscaping as well. Hopefully they take the opportunity to do it now....

I'm not sure what built outcomes are in process, but the study done a couple of years ago recommended reducing Parkwood to 1 lane ea. direction all the way to Hawthorne. That would certainly create the opportunity for much better sidewalks. 

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/ParkwoodPlazaStudy.aspx

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

The most recent correspondence I've had is that the Parkwood Ave road diet (from the Caldwell bridge, up to Hawthorne) will at least be starting by late-Summer 2020, but I haven't heard back as to whether the utility work being done now will lead into the road diet work... it's one of those things that seems obvious to do, but is not always the case.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Optimist  Mill opens this week and here is an Agenda story about it.   Their will be openings ongoing through the fall of the food hall and other retail tenants. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/142625/everything-we-know-so-far-about-optimist-halls-food-and-drink-tenants/

Super pumped about this. Ponce City Market is one of my favorite parts of Atlanta and if this is anything like it, it'll be the coolest spot in town.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Super pumped about this. Ponce City Market is one of my favorite parts of Atlanta and if this is anything like it, it'll be the coolest spot in town.

Its more like Krog. Ponce has way more destination retail. 

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Optimist  Mill opens this week and here is an Agenda story about it.   Their will be openings ongoing through the fall of the food hall and other retail tenants. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/142625/everything-we-know-so-far-about-optimist-halls-food-and-drink-tenants/

RIP KJ's Superica loyalty

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its more like Krog. Ponce has way more destination retail. 

You're right in terms of size and the fact it's food-centric. I was thinking more of style, I think it matches PCM's look better than Krog. Krog is super cool too, I'm glad Charlotte is getting something like this.

17 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

You're right in terms of size and the fact it's food-centric. I was thinking more of style, I think it matches PCM's look better than Krog. Krog is super cool too, I'm glad Charlotte is getting something like this.

Its true. Its a little less piecemeal than Krog. I LOVE the Krog vibe tho. Can't wait for the xCLT trail to run this way, I wish it felt quite as complete as the Belt Line does.

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can't wait for the xCLT trail to run this way, I wish it felt quite as complete as the Belt Line does.

It's nice to be at the point in Charlotte where we're able to look at things other cities have done really well and make a good bet we'll get something like it in the future.

• Like 1