Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

That's great! It confirms what we speculated earlier, that the city would make Caldwell bidirectional between CSX and 12th Street. It also puts a name to the CHA project that will go in the area as part of the Belmont Plan/Piedmont Courts Hope VI grant: "940 Brevard". (Maybe that is just a working title, but still).

I think that's going to be the name....I have several documents around the office referencing that project and all refer to it as 940 Brevard, though Crosland has been known to change the names of projects during the construction phase.

It's about 100 units of senior tax-credit housing.

I noticed today that they have torn down the old houses between Brevard and Caldwel. It looks like they are going to be moving fast. The area infront of 12 street is going to have a great view of the skyline are they planning to put a high rise condo in that area. Or is that area strictly reserved for senior housing.

Edited by SCOTTER

Interestingly enough, if you look at old maps, there wasn't a grid connection here, and 13th has always been [what would be 2 blocks] away from 12th, north of the tracks. This new street fits the alignment of Linden Lane, which runs between Alexander and Davidson.

I have a feeling, though, they will go with a new street name. Too bad "Alpha Street" is taken, that would be an appropriate name. Also, on the old map, there used to be a street that ran in this 2 block section parallel to Brevard and Caldwell. It was called Calvine Avenue, seen here on an even older map when it was just called C St:

http://www.cmhpf.org/uptownsurveyalphavillage.htm

Also, there is no street named for DA Thompkins, who built the Alpha Mill.

I noticed today that they have torn down the old houses between Brevard and Caldwel. It looks like they are going to be moving fast. The area infront of 12 street is going to have a great view of the skyline are they planning to put a high rise condo in that area. Or is that area strictly reserved for senior housing.

I was going to point that out tonight as well. I saw that on my way to Gallery Crawl earlier this evening. I remember Doug Smith reporting on something that was planned to go on this pie-slice piece of land a few years ago... I can't remember the name of it, but there was to be condos and some sort of spire/landmark located here as well. I was at the red light on Caldwell and 12th heading toward NoDa and glanced back over my shoulder toward downtown and thought that whatever goes here is going to have a phenomenal view. It's such a small area though.

You might be thinking of Alpha Mill, which has a tower at the corner. That has a dougie article a few years ago, when it got rezoned.

It is under construction now.

The land between Caldwell and Brevard, that you'd see at Caldwell and 12th will be a combination of Crosland apartments and CHA apartments.

Dubone, now that I'm thinking about it again today, I believe the "condos" were the office-type variety, not necessarily residential. The "spire" part was to be maybe the equivalent to 10 stories tall. The article was in the Observer maybe 5-6 years ago. I'm pretty sure that was the jist of what it said, but obviously that never got off the drawing board.

Oh, ok. That was probably before my time, I hadn't heard of that project.

Certainly the project as envisioned 5-6 years ago is dead.

If you can find the article, I'd love to see it, but sadly, the Observer doesn't keep old articles anymore, and I don't see it on google.

Those are designed by DA Thompkins, and were listed by CMHPF as at risk of being torn down. If there is at least a couple left somewhere in Optimist Park, I'm okay with it, as these were in bad shape, but hopefully we didn't just wipe out the last examples of the whole Alpha mill village.

• 2 weeks later...

Dubone, have you received any updates as to when people are susposed to start moving in to the Opt 12 and Duncan Garden projects. The 60 day notice that Tuskan gave to to the people planning to live at Duncan Gardens is almost up.

We had our first walk through last week at Opt 12 and pretty much everything is finished. At this point they are waiting on permits from the city and then we will be able to close--should be in the next week or two.

It looks like most everything is done with Duncan Gardens except for the 4 one-bedroom townhouses that front Caldwell.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2...%20siteplan.pdf

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-092.htm

Crosland and the Housing Authority have put up a rezoning application for the 2 block section between 12th, Brevard, Caldwell, and the tracks.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-097.htm

Also, nearby Rip Farris is requesting a rezoning for the Urban Stash site to MUDD from I2. It's great that he is requesting the change even though the site really would work under the I2. Getting rid of the the I2 zoning in Optimist Park and Belmont will really go a long way to converting those neighborhoods to higher uses.

Foxymop: Looking forward to meeting you soon neighbor. I'm moving across the street (Duncan Gardens) I have one of the third floor condos with a terrific view of downtown Charlotte. I will be walking through next week and once they get the required permits from the city I will be able to close. Hopefully I will not need to obtain a second extension on my loan in order to keep my interest rate.

Edited by SCOTTER

Foxymop: Looking forward to meeting you soon neighbor. I'm moving across the street (Duncan Gardens) I have one of the third floor condos with a terrific view of downtown Charlotte. I will be walking through next week and once they get the required permits from the city I will be able to close. Hopefully I will not need to obtain a second extension on my loan in order to keep my interest rate.

Yeah, just waiting on permits. The date for the permit for Opt 12 is now May 11.

http://kivanet.ci.charlotte.nc.us/2/permit...cfm?fa=dsplproj

That's the website where you can check the permits, if you didn't know about that. Duncan Gardens shows May 22.

This is really annoying.

I'm glad to see that other things are moving along in the neighborhood, though.

Yeah, just waiting on permits. The date for the permit for Opt 12 is now May 11.

http://kivanet.ci.charlotte.nc.us/2/permit...cfm?fa=dsplproj

That's the website where you can check the permits, if you didn't know about that. Duncan Gardens shows May 22.

This is really annoying.

I'm glad to see that other things are moving along in the neighborhood, though.

Thank you for the information I was unaware of the permit site.

I agree this is quite annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

The Observer had an article today about the demolition that has started at the old Piedmont Courts site! Finally! One question, why do they think a name like "The Crossings at Seigle Point" has anything to do with an urban project? Doesn't this sound extremely suburban? Is this project somehow being moved? I think the 'burbs have a few strip centers named The Crossings...oh well, at least it is happening.

The Observer had an article today about the demolition that has started at the old Piedmont Courts site! Finally! One question, why do they think a name like "The Crossings at Seigle Point" has anything to do with an urban project? Doesn't this sound extremely suburban? Is this project somehow being moved? I think the 'burbs have a few strip centers named The Crossings...oh well, at least it is happening.

Yeah, I agree that it sounds a bit like a shopping center but I don't really care what they call it, as long as it gets done!

I was so excited to see that giant pile of concrete or whatever it was today. Hooray!