Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

36 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just wish the parking lots didn't detract from the setting so much. Would be nice for those apartment buildings to be much closer.

Something I thought was interesting when I went the other day: if you take the light rail, like I did, and walk from the Parkwood stop, there's not really a main entrance on the back side. You kind of just have to walk onto the side patio area and try doors until you find one that's open. I feel like it's kind of a missed opportunity but it's clear they're expecting most people to drive to it and park since they've got the anchor spaces and grand stair on the parking lot side.

The walk from the Parkwood station is short but it sucks because it's just a bare sidewalk through a construction zone with overgrown weeds almost the whole way. Hopefully once the road work is done it'll get better and feel more urban.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just wish the parking lots didn't detract from the setting so much. Would be nice for those apartment buildings to be much closer.

59 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Something I thought was interesting when I went the other day: if you take the light rail, like I did, and walk from the Parkwood stop, there's not really a main entrance on the back side. You kind of just have to walk onto the side patio area and try doors until you find one that's open. I feel like it's kind of a missed opportunity but it's clear they're expecting most people to drive to it and park since they've got the anchor spaces and grand stair on the parking lot side.

The walk from the Parkwood station is short but it sucks because it's just a bare sidewalk through a construction zone with overgrown weeds almost the whole way. Hopefully once the road work is done it'll get better and feel more urban.

That's just the thing. Amazingly beautiful structure, but it is just miserable to get in and out of. The construction on all sides is obviously temporary but terrible to endure on a hot day. Then the only "main" entrance, as you say, is on the side patio (which is also the only ADA/stroller ramp!).

They can't sell off those parking lots for infill soon enough. The entire area feels like a suburban shopping mall.

What are the odds the parking lot space DIRECTLY next to the mill (part of the same block) would ever be infilled? The other two lots are bad enough, but that one is right up on it. I'm guessing it's the last to go.

The most important lots to get infilled in order IMO:

Screenshot_20190809-111334.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

That's just the thing. Amazingly beautiful structure, but it is just miserable to get in and out of. The construction on all sides is obviously temporary but terrible to endure on a hot day. Then the only "main" entrance, as you say, is on the side patio (which is also the only ADA/stroller ramp!).

They can't sell off those parking lots for infill soon enough. The entire area feels like a suburban shopping mall.

What are the odds the parking lot space DIRECTLY next to the mill (part of the same block) would ever be infilled? The other two lots are bad enough, but those have the most impact.

Yeah, selling off the parking lots directly around it and finishing the road work will do a TON for the feel of it. I think they'll have to keep the lot that's actually part of the complex right next to the building, and this is where @ricky_davis_fan_21's comparison to Krog St. Market instead of Ponce City Market makes a lot of sense. If I remember right, Krog has one main entrance right off a small parking lot, with the neighborhood around it filled in and extra parking can be found on-street there. Now that I've been to OH, I feel like it has the potential to be pretty much a carbon copy of Krog.

The outparcel will all be developed down the line. I think a lot of Optimist Park is still waiting to prove itself. Theres a lot of places under construction, in a neighborhood that has never had a bit of momentum.

11 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

This is a massive and expensive project that will take a ton of customers to support, WAY more than the neighborhood can currently provide. If I was putting any money in this thing as a lender or vendor or whatever, I would absolutely demand a lot of parking right off the bat.

Down the road less will make sense, but right now, I'd need a lot. Way too easy for people from outside the area to say "tried to go, parking was too hard, won't go back".  Can't have that in year 1. This isn't SouthEnd. 

Yep. I don't expect parking numbers to go down for this project any time soon. Since Whitepoint owns a substantial amount of land around this project, I'd imagine any development included sizable deeded parking for Whitepoint. 

Edited by Guest

Now here is another question for the room: when will we have the next street-level retail from any new project along the OP/NoDa corridor? How many years has Optimist Hall pushed that back?

There’s 3 or 4 adaptive reuse projects in the works in this North Davidson corridor to provide more street level retail, so it would seem it hasn’t set any of it back. Is it sustainable? Prob not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bao and Broth was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I will try again in future.  

As for $2 for them to cover the costs of a facility is pretty reasonable.    But I'll pay 30% higher prices to put Dumpling Lady in a permanent spot, rather than sporadic food truck chasing.  

Meanwhile as we talk about authentic Chinese streetfood, it is making my heart heavy thinking of tanks being rolled in to Hong Kong to oppress the pro-democracy demonstrations. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dubone said:

Bao and Broth was a bit of a disappointment to me, but I will try again in future.  

As for $2 for them to cover the costs of a facility is pretty reasonable.    But I'll pay 30% higher prices to put Dumpling Lady in a permanent spot, rather than sporadic food truck chasing.  

Meanwhile as we talk about authentic Chinese streetfood, it is making my heart heavy thinking of tanks being rolled in to Hong Kong to oppress the pro-democracy demonstrations. 

If you ask China there were never any tanks. And probably no one will die.

Is anyone else thinking that all of these apartments being built in OP/NoDa & University City Along the Lightrail will cause higher vacancies throughout Southend Apartments?  Looks like rents are more affordable in these areas than in Southend and nearly as accessible due to being in the Lightrail Corridor.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Is anyone else thinking that all of these apartments being built in OP/NoDa & University City Along the Lightrail will cause higher vacancies throughout Southend Apartments?  Looks like rents are more affordable in these areas than in Southend and nearly as accessible due to being in the Lightrail Corridor.

Yes, Southend rents have gotten very inflated (my rent went up 10% this year) and in my opinion the value of living in Southend has become very marginal.  Not only are rents going up, but all the restaurants and bars have seemingly become expensive, trendy spots as well.  

I think the Blue Line will move people up towards NoDa or further out towards Scaleybark/Woodlawn.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Drive bys today so many new apartment choices north of Uptown towards NoDa.  Today. 

Last apartments across from Chadborn Mill 

Dont worry @A2.  I started my morning at the last place photographed.  Extra Large Coffee and 2 KK doughnuts. 

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

The breakfast of champions!!! :tw_grin:

• Haha 1

So... CMPDis no longer allowing street parking on the west side of N Brevard St.

Why? It feels like it decreases safety, as it will speed back up car traffic on an increasing-traffic street.

Also is is just completely unnecessary. Why limit street parking on a non-thoroughfare Street which is actually IDEAL for street parking?

Any ideas?

IMG_20190824_110239.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4