Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

That's complete BS.  At the Villa Heights community meeting a few months ago Eggleston  said that the 25th street stop was one of the lowest performing stops.  I'll be blown way if this is permanent.

EDIT:  I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why the city asks for planting strips and on street parking for almost all new development. But for this development they elected for only planting strips where parking would be such a necessity for the overall use. 

Edited by CLT-704

4 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Any ideas?

Rail-trail? Taking out part of very-low traffic Brevard to put in a high-capacity multi-use trail combined w 25th street bridge would do wonders for pedestrian activity between Optimist Hall and NoDa.

Edited by kermit

In an unrelated topic, I love this old brick building at the corner of Harrill St and E 17th St (St Paul Baptist Church's senior affordable housing apartments to the left).

Someone once told me the owner uses it as a private music studio. Seems like they at least use it as a house :whistling:

IMG_20190821_090818-PANO.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CLT-704 said:

That's complete BS.  At the Villa Heights community meeting a few months ago Eggleston  said that the 25th street stop was one of the lowest performing stops.  I'll be blown way if this is permanent.

I guess I will use the light rail even less.  Being able to park near the stations was a good option with the 25th street bridge still at least a year out.  What a joke.

FYI, per DOT, so call off the dogs.

These signs are posted to ensure everyone's safety during some upcoming power line work. The anticipated completion is around the first of the year.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fortibus said:

Funny story. After I read your comment I was shocked because I loved Seigle. In a town with seemingly no Jewish presence I always liked to see Seigle, a common Jewish surname. 

I confirmed that Google changed the name. So I called the city and got a hold of the person responsible for street name changes. Turns out Pulte named one of their internal streets Brooklyn and it got messed up in their system. 

BIG snafu. Potentially confusing to emergency services to say the least. They’re fixing it!

Very interesting.  Just noticed that on Google last night

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

well Google better it get it straight as it is Brooklyn Ave which is really Siegle on their maps.

How does this happen so easily this is really a problem that a few clicks and Google maps changes the name?

Given its complexity Google maps is remarkably accurate. However, given its complexity it should never be taken as gospel, the number of errors (like this) per square mile is alarming.

[this is also one of the bigger challenges for self-driving cars. It’s impossible to have 100% accuracy on maps at this scale but we gotta have them for autonomous cars to work]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

No municipality or county should be using Google street data to dispatch 9-1-1 calls. I do this for a living and have never known that to happen. Imagery? Yes. Authoritative street or address data? No.

Google maps (and similar) is for public consumption. Some companies use it for routing/delivery, etc. but Charlotte/Mecklenburg PSAP should be using in-house data that's not editable by the public at large.

The person with the city said that the county's GIS data was wrong. I assume Google Maps has a live connection from city/county governments around the country into their GIS data, so whenever a street name change occurs they get it instantly.

12 minutes ago, fortibus said:

The person with the city said that the county's GIS data was wrong. I assume Google Maps has a live connection from city/county governments around the country into their GIS data, so whenever a street name change occurs they get it instantly.

I don't believe they are live connections -- I think we would see many more 'brownouts' if it were live. Data updates from localities are likely much more sporadic.

[might be wrong]