Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Just now, Desert Power said:

Oh, was that one between 21st and 22nd? Good there is continued interest in these emptyish lots.

yep. 1824 N. Brevard is the one I posted, Alliance is at 2008 N. Brevard

7 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

:offtopic:

There were several things about that post that irked me, but I'm really hung up on the "identity crises"....no, Charlotte doesn't have an identity crises, the city seems now just like I remember it for the last 40 years...in love with growth and all things new, politically moderate, envious of Atlanta, mildly pretentious, wants to be taken seriously.....

The Abari guy and many others seem to confuse lack of identity from what they have observed in whatever city they moved from that is deep rooted traditions resulting in colloquialism and ultimately a city that fails to attract new residents, which results in the lack of opportunities that drive them to Charlotte in the first place.

Rant over and refraining from doing a Cartman impression of "if you don't like it, then you can get out"

I'm just a guy with an opinion on the internet, but a place that had continual delays in opening that then blames others on when the business fails leaves a bad taste. I also seem to remember Joe's Doughs (awesome stuff) trashing Abari when they closed too. I also live very close to Abari so will certainly miss it.

Here is the quote the Abari owner made about culture in Charlotte discussed above.

""“The sale of our building and some surrounding land is being negotiated, and Abari will not have a home at 1721 N. Davidson in the near future. Like most places in the city, developers are stifling creativity and killing small business. Charlotte has a huge identity crisis going on with a mass exodus of culture and originality and a huge influx of luxury apartments, condos, and regional/national chain businesses,” read a statement on Abari’s Facebook page on Thursday evening.""

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article244790087.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/08/07/abari-arcade-bar-closes-in-noda.html

• Thanks 2

I called Hunter Wrecker (looking for a car part) and casually asked if their land had sold. The person I spoke with affirmed that it had. I asked if they knew who purchased it or the plans, and they responded “I don’t know who bought it - just that it sold and we’re starting to move. I heard the city was interested in it.”

The 6 acres are still listed for sale. So maybe it’s under contract? Does anyone have any news here?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I called Hunter Wrecker (looking for a car part) and casually asked if their land had sold. The person I spoke with affirmed that it had. I asked if they knew who purchased it or the plans, and they responded “I don’t know who bought it - just that it sold and we’re starting to move. I heard the city was interested in it.”

The 6 acres are still listed for sale. So maybe it’s under contract? Does anyone have any news here?

But what about Charlotte culture!?! Doesn't the city care about small businesses!? How dare property owners sell their land!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

They really need to accelerate the road diet on Parkwood, since it will include a traffic light at the intersection of Caldwell/Parkwood & Belmont. With the Alexan and Alta Purl coming online... that intersection is getting hairy. The blind curve on Parkwood doesn’t help either since people FLY on that stretch of Parkwood. Someone got nailed there the other day.

The Plaza/Parkwood/Caldwell name a more deadly(per trip) route in the city. Built for speed with narrow sidewalks, minimized crossings and blind curves. Road diets here will save lives.

Well that's the gist of what I keep emailing to the city.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly at this point, I don't care how controversial this is... Charlotte should really end single family zoning in this area. I mean no longer permitting the construction of a single family home on a single lot. It's just going to be a 600,000$+ house at this point. I've seen it too many times now, especially at corner lots. Smaller homes being scraped and what-ever replacing it. The first million dollar home listed in Belmont (Or about 980,000$) with a 5000$ mortgage. That's not the housing that Belmont needs.

The good news at least is seeing some decent missing middle projects being proposed on Parkwood. It's urbanization and at least seems to be decent urbanization. The key is they are missing middle projects, like 20 units. So we don't have the honor then of hosting those 100+ unit TOD garbage apartment blocks.

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2020Petitions/Documents/Revised_Site_Plans/2020_005_SitePlanRev_2020_07_27.pdf

It's a good site plan... all the developer has to do is hash out a decent facade.

12 hours ago, mazman34340 said:

Honestly at this point, I don't care how controversial this is... Charlotte should really end single family zoning in this area. I mean no longer permitting the construction of a single family home on a single lot. It's just going to be a 600,000$+ house at this point. I've seen it too many times now, especially at corner lots. Smaller homes being scraped and what-ever replacing it. The first million dollar home listed in Belmont (Or about 980,000$) with a 5000$ mortgage. That's not the housing that Belmont needs.

I agree with this. Wish we could apply this to Dilworth, Sedgefield, and NoDa too!

Cycled to area 15, cycled back home partly through the greenway then cut through Belmont. For the last short stretch from home I went on Parkwood. In that whopping 60 seconds on the road, a motorist some-how managed to perhaps not see me and blared it's horn at me from behind. For two seconds I thought I was gonna get crushed at 40 MPH. Then he passes me... not entirely sure what happened.

City Council and CDOT have dragged their feet for too long.

8 minutes ago, mazman34340 said:

Cycled to area 15, cycled back home partly through the greenway then cut through Belmont. For the last short stretch from home I went on Parkwood. In that whopping 60 seconds on the road, a motorist some-how managed to perhaps not see me and blared it's horn at me from behind. For two seconds I thought I was gonna get crushed at 40 MPH. Then he passes me... not entirely sure what happened.

City Council and CDOT have dragged their feet for too long.

A 4-way stop with stop signs at Belmont Ave & N Davidson St is a crucial first step.

11 hours ago, Desert Power said:

I agree with this. Wish we could apply this to Dilworth, Sedgefield, and NoDa too!

NIMBY-ish preference for single-family homes reaches across racial and economic class boundaries when one attends neighborhood meetings.

Though, of course, everyone from these different demographics oppose non-SFH construction for very different reasons. But the cultural mindset is pervasive, nonetheless.

• Like 1

another location up for Seoul Meat Company in the to be renovated Lintmens's project at N Davidson and 26th St.

from Biz Journal this morning

""A Korean barbecue restaurant in Charlotte's South End will soon expand into the Optimist Park neighborhood as part of an adaptive-reuse project.  The restaurant recently signed a lease for a second Charlotte location, at 421 E. 26th St. Seoul Food will lease about 15,000 square feet and build a 12,000-square-foot patio that will front the planned extension of the Cross Charlotte Trail on the back of the property.  Seoul Food's newest location will serve as an anchor of a larger adaptive-reuse development called Lintmen's, spearheaded by Charlotte developer Pamaka. The project includes the former Lawrence Knitting Mills building, at 2315 N. Davidson St., as well as a 1960s-era garage just behind it, where Seoul Food will open its restaurant.  About 18,000 square feet in the former textile building on Davidson, which dates back to the 1950s, will be converted into a 12-stall food hall. The name Lintmen's is intended to honor the heritage of Charlotteans who worked in north Charlotte textile mills — many of which have been converted into new uses in the past several years.  Mill District Partners LLC — affiliated with Paul Kardous, partner at Pamaka — acquired the building and land at 421 E. 26th St. last October for $5.8 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The adjacent property at 2315 N. Davidson St., which was most recently the CenterStage@NoDa events venue, was acquired by Mill District Partners in January for $2 million.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/08/seoul-food-meat-co-optimist-park.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Okay so I saw the facade to 2020-05 and I don't like it. It's not ugly, it's just really generic and I think Belmont deserves a little better.

It looks appropriate for garden apartments farther from the core of the city than in a neighborhood like Belmont. Worse, it's the vanguard for the main-street that might be forming on Parkwood.

The biggest problem is the roof, it's too large and throws the building's proportions off, especially on the multi-family section of the building. A flat roof is completely appropriate for a three-four story building. I also talked to some architects or folks with design backgrounds. There's too much visual clutter. One of the biggest secrets of architecture is that simplicity can look gorgeous. The developer might actually save a little money by reducing the details on the building and yet it will still look okay if not better.

Finally, most developers screw up the brick portions of their apartment building. The brick detailing should have a consistent height across the facade. This tip given to me by a lovely architect. I'm not very good at affinityphoto but I'll show what a few small changes can do.

apartment.jpg

Lintmen's!  I chuckle. Lintmen. Lintheads. A derogatory term for cotton mill workers. Next will be Byssinosis™

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

another location up for Seoul Meat Company in the to be renovated Lintmens's project at N Davidson and 26th St.

from Biz Journal this morning

""A Korean barbecue restaurant in Charlotte's South End will soon expand into the Optimist Park neighborhood as part of an adaptive-reuse project.  The restaurant recently signed a lease for a second Charlotte location, at 421 E. 26th St. Seoul Food will lease about 15,000 square feet and build a 12,000-square-foot patio that will front the planned extension of the Cross Charlotte Trail on the back of the property.  Seoul Food's newest location will serve as an anchor of a larger adaptive-reuse development called Lintmen's, spearheaded by Charlotte developer Pamaka. The project includes the former Lawrence Knitting Mills building, at 2315 N. Davidson St., as well as a 1960s-era garage just behind it, where Seoul Food will open its restaurant.  About 18,000 square feet in the former textile building on Davidson, which dates back to the 1950s, will be converted into a 12-stall food hall. The name Lintmen's is intended to honor the heritage of Charlotteans who worked in north Charlotte textile mills — many of which have been converted into new uses in the past several years.  Mill District Partners LLC — affiliated with Paul Kardous, partner at Pamaka — acquired the building and land at 421 E. 26th St. last October for $5.8 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records. The adjacent property at 2315 N. Davidson St., which was most recently the CenterStage@NoDa events venue, was acquired by Mill District Partners in January for $2 million.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/09/08/seoul-food-meat-co-optimist-park.html

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2