Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. The developer and architect need to remove elements on the facade. I think it looks better simplified.

It's like the architect panics and tries to add as many colors and elevation changes as possible and it just back-fires. Less is More.

I did this screwing around in photo-affinity, hopefully they can change a couple facade details. I care this much because it's a good missing middle project and then to hatchet the facade is like grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

apartment critique2.jpg

1 hour ago, mazman34340 said:

Yup. The developer and architect need to remove elements on the facade. I think it looks better simplified.

It's like the architect panics and tries to add as many colors and elevation changes as possible and it just back-fires. Less is More.

I did this screwing around in photo-affinity, hopefully they can change a couple facade details. I care this much because it's a good missing middle project and then to hatchet the facade is like grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

You should enjoy McMansion Hell.

image.png.25c0435ce55eb53da44f63cf0cba65a3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I’ve noticed several tear downs in Optimist Park recently sold for $300K. Several homes under construction and for sale in the $550-$750k range. 

$1,000,000 in Belmont sounds crazy, but the location of OP and Belmont is going to keep driving people in. Super accessible and quick to get anywhere.

• Like 1

This market is long overdue for a correction. These home prices won't sustain themselves with the amount of unemployed folks we have out there. 

After the forebearances and moratoriums are up in Dec, the banks will be flooded with millions in inventory. 

"Buy low, sell high"    -  Warren Buffet

On 9/21/2020 at 7:01 PM, Desert Power said:

^I'd much rather have this type of housing added than a couple of mini-mansions. We do not have enough missing middle housing like this, but Parkwood between Plaza and N Davidson is going to have a good amount built. This is a good thing!

In other news, snapped a pick of the 25th St bridge:

I still approve of the project even with the mediocre façade. I am in a 100% agreement. Just trying to push the developer to make a few changes. If not, then the battle is across the street with the proposed commercial building.

I heard some real encouraging news regarding the Yandle Witherspoon site on Brevard. I didn’t know this, but apparently there’s an old 1800s/early 1900s yarn factory that’s covered up by the current metal facade. And white point plans to restore it similarly to how they restored Optimist Hall. There’s obviously room for other buildings on the site - but if this news holds true it will be great for additional character in Optimist Park.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I heard some real encouraging news regarding the Yandle Witherspoon site on Brevard. I didn’t know this, but apparently there’s an old 1800s/early 1900s yarn factory that’s covered up by the current metal facade. And white point plans to restore it similarly to how they restored Optimist Hall. There’s obviously room for other buildings on the site - but if this news holds true it will be great for additional character in Optimist Park.

...Where is this?

9 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

This would be really cool. OP has a long ways to go on the walkability.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

This would be great. But the 1938 aerial view shows a cluster of small buildings in the footprint of the current one:

http://timemachine.mcmap.org/#17.25/35.232468/-80.829624

If there is an old mill building in there it must be pretty small, and they would have had to go to a lot of extra effort to preserve it since it would have been fully encapsulated at the time the current building was built in '72.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, slipperypete said:

This would be great. But the 1938 aerial view shows a cluster of small buildings in the footprint of the current one:

If there is an old mill building in there it must be pretty small, and they would have had to go to a lot of extra effort to preserve it since it would have been fully encapsulated at the time the current building was built in '72.

All I can say is, Pshew, because my humble proposal* to have the spur between the Silver Line and the Blue Line through the 13th Street right of way then goes right around the corner of this building, and may require a little... ahem... modifications to said structure.

*I recognize that this is all in my head and will likely remain there.

4 hours ago, slipperypete said:

No need to doubt the air photo. But here is the Sanborn map supporting it (map does not have North at top of page). The map is based on 1929 data collection and was republished in 1953 (I believe that the 1953 version simply copied the 1929, I don't believe any updates occured):

image.png.f42d30ffda0aa6066690b36bb21a7fe2.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I was surprised when the info was shared with me, and I even responded to the developer that I was surprised since the warehouse doesn’t appear to be old at all - and he said that Optimist Hall looked the same way (especially along parkwood where they demolished part of the additions) before it was restored.

The developer that shared the info with me is not affiliated with White Point, but is active in OP. And is in the know. Thank you to everyone for digging into this - it does seem that if it is true - the historical structure/footprint would be small and likely incorporated into a larger site plan.

He also shared that the Duke Energy lot (north of the hall) future development will be  “big and bulky,” but is a couple years out still. And he didn’t specify or share what’s going there.

• Thanks 1