Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

12 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know when 16th St. is supposed to reopen and whats going on there?

They’ve been done on the portion between the tracks and Parkwood for probably 4-5 months now. They’re still working on the Tryon side of 16th though.

Here’s the last update from the city: 10/26/2020

Construction activities by Charlotte Water continue along East 16th Street between Parkwood Avenue and North Tryon Street. The contractor continues to install wastewater pipe, and storm drainage construction has begun along East 16th Street. The ongoing road closure will remain in place. The streetscape improvements, including sidewalks and paving,  will begin following storm drainage installation, and East 16th Street is expected to fully re-open in early to mid-2021.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

They’ve been done on the portion between the tracks and Parkwood for probably 4-5 months now. They’re still working on the Tryon side of 16th though.

Here’s the last update from the city: 10/26/2020

Construction activities by Charlotte Water continue along East 16th Street between Parkwood Avenue and North Tryon Street. The contractor continues to install wastewater pipe, and storm drainage construction has begun along East 16th Street. The ongoing road closure will remain in place. The streetscape improvements, including sidewalks and paving,  will begin following storm drainage installation, and East 16th Street is expected to fully re-open in early to mid-2021.

Are they upsizing Mains and Installing Sewer due to all the New Construction proposed across the Tracks from Optimist Hall?  Weren't there like Two (2) Separate Apartment Complex's proposed back in 2019?

My understanding is that this project (outside of the streetscape improvements) was to enlarge storm drainage pipes + wastewater pipes. Primarily to help mitigate some of the flooding that occurs on N. Tryon by the RR bridge (though that is a separate project too). That apartment complex is still moving forward last I heard. Believe they were trying to obtain an easement behind the men's shelter and U-Haul to give pedestrian access between the proposed apartment building and 16th/Optimist Hall. 

Construction start date for Parkwood Road diet (from 12th to Davidson) has been delayed 4-6 months. Last update was late-summer/fall. Now it’s early 2022. They’re supposed to wrap up real estate acquisition next month with city council approval.

Project manager said delay is because the city is no longer issuing the RFPs while utility work is underway. Relocating utilities needs to be done/almost done prior to bids for the construction. New policy as of a few weeks ago that should push out all road construction timelines.

The city does a lot right, but they are dragging their feet on much needed infrastructure improvements in the Optimist Park through NoDa corridor. Think about the amount of private investment the last couple of years...Meanwhile the city can’t even put a sidewalk on Brevard to give pedestrians a safe way to bridge the gap from the rail trail into NoDa. 

The Parkwood road diet isn’t rocket science. They’re removing a travel lane. Adding a median. Adding bike lanes. And two stop lights. Over about a mile stretch. The first community meeting for this project was 2014! Now they’ve been in “real estate acquisition” for a year alone. Just dragging feet and buying time. Matheson Bridge too!

I think the city is either understaffed or their focus is on outside economic development and not its citizens. Because it doesn’t seem like they care about quality of life and infrastructure projects that could take this city from good to great. Cross Charlotte and rail trail included. 

While my rant continues, I must also point out how dirty the city has gotten in the last 1.5 years. Charlotte used to be so clean and out of town guests would remark on how clean it felt. Now there’s trash/litter everywhere and there was a ton overgrown this past summer. Hopefully it’s just a services hiccup from Covid but the city needs to focus on regular trash pickups.

401B4B0B-D266-4A1C-BC1C-92298DEC7814.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Urban Cowboy said:

While my rant continues, I must also point out how dirty the city has gotten in the last 1.5 years. Charlotte used to be so clean and out of town guests would remark on how clean it felt. Now there’s trash/litter everywhere and there was a ton overgrown this past summer. Hopefully it’s just a services hiccup from Covid but the city needs to focus on regular trash pickups.

Every time we drive around we comment about how there is trash everywhere now.  Happy someone else noticed it.    I hope it isn't the new normal.

1 hour ago, Urban Cowboy said:

It's a lack of leadership and accountability, in my mind. It all starts at the top. And I say that as a proud democrat. But our mayor and city council have been noticeably absent the past year - and I think they're a bit out of touch. I know much of the city services run through Marcus Jones' office - but if I was an elected official in this town I'd be more proactive and vocal about projects and simple maintenance that actually help current citizens. Especially during covid, I've noticed the mayor/city council point to others a lot and pass the buck. Someone needs to step up and lead. Hold your employees accountable. And trash is a small thing, but a clean city is a proud city. It shows that the city and its citizens care. I plan on picking up trash this upcoming Saturday because if I don't do it, who will?

A lot of city services have been effected because of Covid and these projects and simple maintenances that you speak of are the first to go during rough times.  I think I can speak for most of you on here when I say that this past year has not been the greatest.  Think about the challenges we have all faced this past year because of Covid and the things we have had to cut back on, think about how your own job and life has changed and how different and/or difficult some things have become.  Yes, there are a lot of things the City can do better on but their staff and resources are stretched thin so I can forgive them if it takes longer to get lots mowed or trash/litter picked up.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many of the people that pick up trash in our community are volunteers via the Adopt a Street Program. You can ready more about the impact of coronavirus in the 2020 Keep Charlotte Beautiful Annual Report and see how you can get involved: https://charlottenc.gov/HNS/CE/KCB/Documents/KCB_Annual_Report_FY20.pdf

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

from CLT Development post today about a Belmont commercial building 

""On the Corner of Pegram and Belmont sits a building with a storied past. The handsome brick storefront sits alone, a relic of an era long gone. It’s storefront covered in ply, its brickwork bruised and battered, and its tile work cracked, the patina of a beautiful past just a bit worn away. This building has fascinated me since the day I first set eyes upon it when I was a teenager, and I’ve wanted to be part of its future ever since.

In 1902 The Red Front Department Store opened its doors to the Belmont Neighborhood, the store has vanished with little trace, but the building has remained in its place for nearly 120 years. Today it sits in a neighborhood that is seeing some of the most rapid and jarring change in the city.

Today, after a planned transformation, 6Summit and @lpa_urban are looking for new businesses to call this building home. It’s amazing to think about the possibility this 6000 square foot building, with ample outparcel space, could become.

You have the opportunity to have your voice heard on what you’d like to see on this property. Personally I’d love to see a small market, bakery, deli + restaurant, something that gives back to the neighborhood and can grow along with it.""

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Harding High School served the west side of the city from the location and building that is now Irwin Avenue Elementary School. Dorothy Counts was a student there and everyone in Charlotte should know her story and bend a knee to her grace and courage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Counts

Tech, Central and Harding were for White students only.

Thank you for sharing that link.  What a heart-wrenching story!  These stories must never be forgotten lest history repeat.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Thank you for sharing that link.  What a heart-wrenching story!  These stories must never be forgotten lest history repeat.

Whenever I  see stuff like this I feel embarrassed for the people doing the harassing in these pictures. Can't imagine living in a time like that...

Could Belmont be the best neighborhood in Charlotte in the future? Close to light rail, actual neighborhood feel, small shops scattered throughout, public park spaces already integrated into it. Almost bought a house there when we moved here in 2016, but the house wasn't our favorite of what we saw. It was on 18th between parkwood & noda. Might be an apartment by now. :(

Edited by t_money
typos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...