Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

Bad news from Tuscan Development today, I was informed that I will not be able to close my condo at Duncan Gardens as scheduled. . Apparently all I can get from my real-estate agent is that apparently something is wrong with the fire sprinkler system in my condo and it could not pass inspection. At this time Tuscan is unable to rescheduel a closing date for me due to the problem with the fire sprinklers. :cry:

Edited by SCOTTER

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'm looking forward to having so many new residents in the neighborhood.

We are closing on our Opt 12 place tomorrow, but they originally sent us the 60-day notice letter dated something like Feb. 8, so we're about 2 months later than we should be.

• 2 weeks later...

i just wanted to give give a shout out to all that brought us OPT 12. i drive by it every working day... and i smile when i see it. it is truly a little urban gem. i look forward to seeing that area blossom. THANKS!

I agree. This is one of the main reasons I am moving into Opt 12 myself! I just wish the area would blossom a little faster. The zoning hearing for the rest of the block which Opt 12 is on was pushed back to Sept now.

Rezoning Petition 2006-097

Do you know if they are requesting the MUDD to do something beyond storage, or is it just to go ahead and do the corrective rezoning while they are trying to sell residential nearby?

Please someone find the right price to get Hunter gone!

A sales agent for Opt 12 said that Tuscan was planning a 6-7 story condo building on the storage facility site, but who knows if that is accurate.

I heard the same. I just hope the new building compliments Opt 12 and the rest of the neighborhood. I guess we won't know for a while though.

Took a tour at Alpha Mill today...WOW. Cool project. Very unique mix of original buildings and new construction. I didn't realize the site was as large as it is. Projected move-in dates for the first round of apartments, in the mill buildings, looks like early fall!

The grounds are gonna have heavy landscaping, large pool and deck area, and huge community room. This project along with Duncan Gardens, Opt 12, and Piedmont Courts site will really have an impact on this portion of the outskirts of center city.

Not to mention the Crosland project on the two blocks to the east of the Alpha Mill. There is also a four million dollar upgrade being done to the CATS facility next year.

They still don't know what they are going to do there, but something definitely. Whatever they do, it is an incredible site -- I assume you are talking about where the last part of the village was.

• 1 month later...

Hi all-- I finally am able to post comments, after much time thinking that this is a pay-only site. As an introduction, I have lived in Opt-12 for two months; you may see me sitting outside smoking cigarettes on a daily basis. This said, I am in the middle of witnessing the change that is happening to Caldwell Street and the surrounding community. There is much going on--Piedmont Courts, Belmont, and the Alpha Mills, which I see as a catalyst for revitalization of the communnity-at-large. I hope to use this site asa spring board to get us all involved in the process of change, so that we have a voice as members of a community that already has a long tradition of believing in the future and a need foragency in society. I'll keep the pictures coming. Support Optimist Park September 18 at the rezoning hearing at the Government Center at 6!!!

Hi all-- I finally am able to post comments, after much time thinking that this is a pay-only site. As an introduction, I have lived in Opt-12 for two months; you may see me sitting outside smoking cigarettes on a daily basis. This said, I am in the middle of witnessing the change that is happening to Caldwell Street and the surrounding community. There is much going on--Piedmont Courts, Belmont, and the Alpha Mills, which I see as a catalyst for revitalization of the communnity-at-large. I hope to use this site asa spring board to get us all involved in the process of change, so that we have a voice as members of a community that already has a long tradition of believing in the future and a need foragency in society. I'll keep the pictures coming. Support Optimist Park September 18 at the rezoning hearing at the Government Center at 6!!!

Thanks for calling where you live Optimist Park! I've never liked how developers and others want to whitewash away the original names of our neighborhoods and places -- especially when they opt for names that are unbearably cute or don't make sense. I will never call this area or that around SoDa -- this isn't on South Davidson and I doubt many want to say they live in a drink.

That being said -- i completely concur with your hopes that your home and those coming will help this part of center city out. I think it is unstoppable now. People are beginning to pay lots of $ for houses in Belmont now, the it isn't unusual any longer to see sales of $140,000 - $150,000 and there has been one as high at $179,000. With Alpha Mill coming online, Opt 12 and your complex being done and occupied, and Piedmont Courts, this is about to be a really great part of town.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I just saw on News14 Carolina that Charlotte was one of the few cities across the nation to be selected for a Kroc Community Center. News 14 also said that the new Community Center could go at the intersection of 10th street and Seigel Road near Uptown, but it has not been determined yet. The Kroc Community Center is the work of philanthropist Joan Kroc, who is the wife of McDonald's Founder, Ray Kroc.

I think this is awesome for the City of Charlotte.

Here is the Link to News14's website:

Kroc Community Center

Edited by Skyline49er