Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

18 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

As for how much retail there is, places aren't static.  I would be shocked if Parkwood and North Davidson look the way they do in 10 years.  Both will be mostly apartments with retail I imagine.  Davidson is already largely there.

The area will certainly continue to change and grow. I've long thought that the OP/Villa Heights stretch bounded by Parkwood, Matheson, Davidson, and Brevard will end up with some of the best density in the city. There are really little to no existing structures that will survive.  Love how this developer is forward thinking.

Just made the retail comment because I think they are going to have a hard time initially being so far from any grocery or drug store. My two cents (as someone who has gone without a car in Charlotte) is that folks trying to save money are going to care much more about that type of retail than what is at Optimist Hall. Could be a hard sell initially.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Urban Cowboy said:

I was poking around and I think I discovered the location of a new 370 unit apartment building planned for Optimist Park. There was also a rezoning request for this site. So we all know Swinerton + Space Craft are currently building an 83 unit apartment building + retail at the corner of Brevard & 22nd. Pictured here:

image.thumb.png.3de7156ce3b1bab51196d38b3bc21de8.png 

If you go on Space Craft's website (https://spacecraft.city/places/charlotte/), they have another project that's described below:

image.thumb.png.f01ef0c4f0e658f12ba6373232175249.png

The corner of Brevard and 21st is a site with alleys. And it's located directly next door to their current project. I also noticed some of these parcels have old Acella requests from 2019 that are tied to Cohab (Space Craft's former name).

image.thumb.png.18ec1913bcc66ef01e1122acd999e8ce.png

Here are photos for this latest project. More are on their site if you're curious.

image.thumb.png.ec881da4ac8db598ce2c534911969a57.png

image.thumb.png.f2baaf6c893f72be6c70a8c0893ac2eb.png

And here's the kicker... in this photo, you see what I believe is their apartment building that's currently under construction at Brevard and 22nd. Which would imply this new development will be directly next door at Brevard and 21st. Definitely appreciate the unique designs and vision for retail. So many of these new apartment buildings are creating housing, but otherwise promote dead blocks from a street level interaction standpoint. This is super close to the Parkwood Station so they're trying to leverage that access. I wish Cortland NoDa, The Alexan, and Alta Purl had followed lead with some retail or restaurant space given their proximity to Optimist Hall. Once Parkwood's road diet + bike lanes are complete - should be a great pedestrian experience between Optimist Hall and the developments that Swinerton + Space Craft are building. 

image.thumb.png.e82aad66af5a50cfbcfb68bec0f923f1.png

Bumping this post about the adjacent lots to the Joinery. Not sure how these plans have evolved over the last year.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, Desert Power said:

Bumping this post about the adjacent lots to the Joinery. Not sure how these plans have evolved over the last year.

Waiting for proof of concept to succeed.

On 3/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, CLT2014 said:

Reading some of the comments online around news articles about the development is dis-heartening... people are angry at the concept. Since rental rates still start at $1,250+ for a 495 sq. foot studio, people are just viewing this as the developer "taking away" amenities like parking and pools in order to make more money. I'm optimistic they'll find success, but it might just take a little while to fully lease and finding folks that work along the light rail or at home and don't need a car to get to work.

With no consideration of the fact that this was built during the highest construction cost in history. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may be slightly off topic... Why are areas like this, with lots of new residential units, not getting small urban grocery stores?  Small urban grocery stores would allow these neighborhoods to truly become walkable 10 minute neighborhoods. Its crazy that people in these areas still have to drive to get to grocery stores. What is stopping developers from providing these essential community stores?

• Like 4

^^^ reading this above captures where we've gone wrong (or right, depending on perspective) with American grocery needs.

In pre-WW2 America, the idea of a one-stop grocery store wasn't really a thing.  You had butchers, fish mongers, bakers, dry goods, etc **

This removes 1-2 layers of middleman distribution (depending on product), which is a lot of 1) diminished margin, and 2) days on shelf

I suspect most people don't care that much, and prefer the convenience of the "super"-mart.

** Edit:  forgot the the milkman!

• Like 4

As a boy my neighborhood in Indianapolis had Dave's market. Dave was a butcher and his shop was his custom meat section in the rear and shelves on the sidewalls and center section with basic home items, bread, snacks, canned goods, a cheese and dairy case and so on. A single cash register near the front. I was a regular at the candy rack/baseball cards at the cash register. 

Those in the before times recall, as do I, that the original Reid's grocery from Providence Road and Fenton had a spot on Park Road in the building now Ed's at Ideal Way. Reids occupied the left side of the building as one faces it from the street. Similar to Dave's as a local, neighborhood focussed place with butcher in the back making meat cuts to order for clients. Canned goods and daily basics. I went there rarely as it had a limited selection though I bought my favorite canned soup there which was difficult to find at that time.* The Dilworth location closed sometime in the mid-late 1970's. The Providence location continued for quite some time until Chuck Edwards bought it and it transitioned to what we know today as Reid's.

*Campbell's tomato bisque. This also serves to describe how insular Charlotte was at the time.

edit to add this:

https://www.reids.com/history

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I think this day and age, trying to operate an independent small urban grocery store is really hard.... especially if you are the new kid on the block. You open... and everybody goes "$4.99 for a half gallon of milk!!! No way!" So I don't think developers are opposed... there just aren't a ton of entrepreneurs looking to start this low margin, fiercely competitive business where you need to be a master of supply chain, establishing relationship with hundreds or thousands of suppliers, et. have to throw out inventory constantly, need a decent amount of labor, and need a lot of customer volume to make up for low profit margin. The large grocery stores have so much pricing power and scale to offer prices that independent grocers really struggle against.

I'm just surprised the trader joes, Aldi's, and Lidl's of the world haven't moved into more urban neighborhoods. I feel like these stores would make a killing. An American version of Tesco would even be amazing to have. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

I'm just surprised the trader joes, Aldi's, and Lidl's of the world haven't moved into more urban neighborhoods. I feel like these stores would make a killing. An American version of Tesco would even be amazing to have. 

Yea, large chains in the UK have figured out how to make a buck (pound) from small stores (even while facing competition from much larger stores down the road). Its certainly possible for the model to work here, but no US chain appears interested in attempting it. 

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Tesco was in the US from 2007 to 2012. I recall the opening in Arizona, but they chose a bad time (Great Recession) and converting shoppers from SUPERmarkets to their size shops, even with Tesco branded take-away products failed.

They also made some truly atrocious location choices.

• Like 3