Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

edit: this response is to the parking comments about Optimist Mill on previous page.

I was at Publix Sunday 1 pm and the underground lot had 4-5 open spaces, both levels combined. The store had not nearly that number of clients. A man in the elevator said Atherton people use it as a convenient parking option. I saw several parkers retuning to their cars with no groceries in hand by the time I departed. When there is a Publix/Atherton stop Publix will be required to have gated entry for their customers, imo.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

edit: this response is to the parking comments about Optimist Mill on previous page.

I was at Publix Sunday 1 pm and the underground lot had 4-5 open spaces, both levels combined. The store had not nearly that number of clients. A man in the elevator said Atherton people use it as a convenient parking option. I saw several parkers retuning to their cars with no groceries in hand by the time I departed. When there is a Publix/Atherton stop Publix will be required to have gated entry for their customers, imo.

they might have to go to a gate situation too with X hours of free parking with validation like Whole Foods,   Their most urban Publix stores I have seen have a gate in downtown Orlando and in downtown  Miami. 

as for rail to Optimist Hall it only makes sense if you live on the light rail line.  I can't imagine having catching a bus from across town then transferring to a train to get there.  That being said under 3 hours is what most people stay there except for the heavy drinkers who might have dinner there and stay for hours and hours.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Ponce City Market parking rates in Atlanta huge food hall and entertainment destination.  

https://www.poncecitymarket.com/getting-here

I can park there cheaper for 24 hours than Optimist Hall just saying.  But no free parking at Ponce City Market at all. 

according to the massive amount of online comments there must be a lot of people working for hours on end in the Food Hall on their tables.  I have been there once for more than 3 hours and that was for an UP meetup! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

they might have to go to a gate situation too with X hours of free parking with validation like Whole Foods,   Their most urban Publix stores I have seen have a gate in downtown Orlando and in downtown  Miami. 

as for rail to Optimist Hall it only makes sense if you live on the light rail line.  I can't imagine having catching a bus from across town then transferring to a train to get there.  That being said under 3 hours is what most people stay there except for the heavy drinkers who might have dinner there and stay for hours and hours.  

If you are having dinner then two+ hours of drinking...you shouldn't be driving anyways.    The $18 after 3 hours is pretty wild jump though.  Even though "most" stay under three hours...I know I have been there pretty darn close to 3 hours just to get lunch, grab a drink or two at Fonta Flora/Billy Sunday, then get dessert.  You can be damn sure I would either be watching my watch like a hawk or just skipping the "lets go find dessert".   If it was say $10 for 3-6hrs, sure I can see that.  $18 for 3 hours and 1 minute?   Nah...I find someplace else to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Hilarious seeing all the reaction on social media.

I'm assuming the folks running this property are pros, intensely data-driven, and did their research.

I'm sure the abuses that were taking place were far costlier than the incremental benefit of occasional patrons who actually stay for >3 hours spending money the entire time.

I'm sure if you plot a per person dollars spent figure versus time spent at the Hall, the resulting graph plummets like a meteor.

As brutal as it sounds, if I'm running OH, I set the $18 figure to deter the abuses, and the $5 between 90 min and 180 min so that those who linger have the discretionary means to scoff at $5 if they're making a big deal of the time spent at OH on a given day.  All others are free to take transit, rideshare, cycles and scooters, or some combo thereof. 

Social media definitely not the place for thoughtful or informed insight into development   :tw_joy:

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, KJHburg said:

It's crazy people can't imagine taking mass transit to Optimist Hall.

image.thumb.png.28356c3cb41fcd50484bba89034f3bf1.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I 100% think that charging to park is fair and should be done, but some people roll their eyes at the transit notion because the system isn't set up to be effective for local trips that aren't in a narrow corridor..... The vast majority of Charlotte doesn't live walking distance to a light rail station and our bus system continues to be operated poorly, have routes cut, and have extremely long headways between buses that just make it a last resort. 

If somebody lives off Commonwealth in Plaza Midwood..... it would take 40 minutes to get to Optimist Hall via public transit in Charlotte...... that's insane. That compares to just 9 minutes in a car.

image.png.f4ab2537ae3d5dd8a15353e88beb188a.png

Another example of the problems with a hub-and-spoke system.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, JHart said:

That is literally a <15 minute bike ride down protected bike lanes for 80% of it and will be 95% protected bike lanes once the ongoing Parkwood project is completed. It actually would be faster to bike by the time you park your car and walk in. 

That bike lane along Parkwood is barely usable. The lanes are not protected and the infrastructure that separates the lanes has been completely destroyed already. Not to mention you run a high risk of flatting as the lanes are completely filled with glass, metal, and other debris. This is the story with almost all of charlottes supposed bike lanes except the one mile that is separated by concrete. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

That bike lane along Parkwood is barely usable. The lanes are not protected and the infrastructure that separates the lanes has been completely destroyed already. Not to mention you run a high risk of flatting as the lanes are completely filled with glass, metal, and other debris. This is the story with almost all of charlottes supposed bike lanes except the one mile that is separated by concrete. 

They are dirty, but very far from unusable. If you're afraid to bike on Parkwood, there are plenty of other neighborhood routes you can take instead to go 2.5 miles away. 

2 minutes ago, JHart said:

They are dirty, but very far from unusable. If you're afraid to bike on Parkwood, there are plenty of other neighborhood routes you can take instead to go 2.5 miles away. 

Sure this is true. But the average person who doesn't bike around Charlotte is only going to bike places if there is easy, safe, and completely protected lanes. When the sole purpose of those bike lanes on the plaza and parkwood are to slow cars ( this is definitely not a bad thing) and not to get biker places safe they aren't going to be respected by the city or the user. 

4 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

But the average person who doesn't bike around Charlotte is only going to bike places if there is easy, safe, and completely protected lanes. 

That is literally the route down Plaza to Parkwood to Optimist Hall. There are tons of people who bike on the lanes everyday, less so on Parkwood because the lanes stop but the other portion of the project just recently went under construction. 

• Like 1