Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

On 1/19/2023 at 5:50 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

How did it sit so long just to end up a dog salon? How on earth is it not a cornershop deli? coffee house at least... some things I will never understand.

Culture Shop is on Hawthorne and Kennon so a Deli would face natural competition that would be hard to compete with.  Coffee/breakfast could work better.

I heard that the owners of Fig Tree planned to do a second restaurant there but then the pandemic made those plans crash to a halt.  Not sure if that is true though.  Regardless, random neighborhood corner stores are good for neighborhood vitality regardless of use -- as long as they are used.  Right now the vacant space is a blight.  This is a positive for the neighborhood.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@tozmervo from what I've been told by the fine folks at Birdsong, the proximity to railroad tracks is an issue with installing a traffic light there.  I have to imagine there will be an exception made at some point, or perhaps when those junkyard lots are developed there will be a requirement for visibility by having whatever goes there back a few feet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jakeupps said:

@tozmervo from what I've been told by the fine folks at Birdsong, the proximity to railroad tracks is an issue with installing a traffic light there.  I have to imagine there will be an exception made at some point, or perhaps when those junkyard lots are developed there will be a requirement for visibility by having whatever goes there back a few feet.

Street feels very narrow there and they let the apartments across Birdsong built far too close to the street. Not sure this is going to get better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, fortibus said:

I drove by Hunter’s Auto Wrecker yard last week in Optimist Park and saw on the for sale sign that it was under contract.

Is there any news on this? I know it’s been on the market for a while, so I wasn’t sure if the “under contract” is still accurate. 

It is under contract and think sold to apartment developer heard about this on the tour this Saturday in passing.  

• Like 4

Looking at Hunter’s I saw this and I don’t know why this bothered me so much…but now I will let it bother y’all. : ) Parkwood is disappointing right around here for many reasons and this is just one of ‘em.

8e300563325e43372a27abc7c01a697b.png

Add: traffic-wise I can see why they would want to this, but still…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Just went by UDM today and it was absolutely jumping with people.  Definitely going to be a hit - Very much a compliment to Optimist Food Hall.

I biked by today and it was crazy.,  If you have kids it is going to be one of the most popular places in the summer.

• Like 4

On 4/22/2023 at 10:12 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Just went by UDM today and it was absolutely jumping with people.  Definitely going to be a hit - Very much a compliment to Optimist Food Hall.

Maybe it's been answered somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out: these stalls are all just different "concepts" owned by the same entity, right? Like this is essentially a large restaurant controlled by one company where each food type has a different customer-facing stall?

• Like 2