Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

17 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Nope, I have NO idea what is up with that parcel, this is inside the neighborhood more. This is the parcel
 image.thumb.png.fd6dfccadc030c9d4d9db09697906999.png

Interesting.  The entire stretch from Optimist through NODA along the blue line feels like it is going to rival the density of South End in no time.  

3 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

Interesting.  The entire stretch from Optimist through NODA along the blue line feels like it is going to rival the density of South End in no time.  

Might even be denser considering that 2200 units, 100,000 square feet of retail and 60,000 square feet of office of the proposed developments are supported by only 400 structured parking spaces. And that doesn't cover the other 2000 proposed at 1/1 or 1.5/1. Which I just heard a couple brain stems pop reading that info.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Might even be denser considering that 2200 units, 100,000 square feet of retail and 60,000 square feet of office of the proposed developments are supported by only 400 structured parking spaces. And that doesn't cover the other 2000 proposed at 1/1 or 1.5/1. Which I just heard a couple brain stems pop reading that info.

(As mentioned in another thread): The number of riders I see now at 25th and Parkwood stations is now MUCH higher than what I see daily in the Southend stations. I didn't initially connect this to a lack of parking along Brevard but it certainly makes sense.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

If you like trains of all sorts you will love this new proposed apartments.  Surrounded by Norfolk Southern railyard and the LYNX light rail and you can walk to Parkwood Station and Optimist Hall and watch trains all day and night moving around.  

From the Biz Journal  today

""The NRP Group, a Cleveland-based developer with a Charlotte office, has its next multifamily project here in the pipeline.

The developer filed a petition with the city of Charlotte on May 9 to rezone 9.3 acres at 225 E. 16th St. If approved, the rezoning will take the property from manufacturing and logistics to innovation mixed-use. Jason Mochizuki, vice president of development for The NRP Group, told Charlotte Business Journal the project is in early planning phases and declined to give specific details.

"NRP is a multifamily developer, so it’s safe to say this site will have a multifamily component," he said. "We are also exploring additional, complementary uses for the site that are compatible with the uses allowed in the IMU district."

The site is situated at the edge of Charlotte's Lockwood neighborhood, near Optimist Hall. It's currently owned by Consolidated Pipe & Supply Co., but Mochizuki said they have plans to purchase the property.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/11/nrp-rezoning-near-noda-optimist-hall-multifamily.html  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If you like trains of all sorts you will love this new proposed apartments.  Surrounded by Norfolk Southern railyard and the LYNX light rail and you can walk to Parkwood Station and Optimist Hall and watch trains all day and night moving around.  

From the Biz Journal  today

""The NRP Group, a Cleveland-based developer with a Charlotte office, has its next multifamily project here in the pipeline.

The developer filed a petition with the city of Charlotte on May 9 to rezone 9.3 acres at 225 E. 16th St. If approved, the rezoning will take the property from manufacturing and logistics to innovation mixed-use. Jason Mochizuki, vice president of development for The NRP Group, told Charlotte Business Journal the project is in early planning phases and declined to give specific details.

"NRP is a multifamily developer, so it’s safe to say this site will have a multifamily component," he said. "We are also exploring additional, complementary uses for the site that are compatible with the uses allowed in the IMU district."

The site is situated at the edge of Charlotte's Lockwood neighborhood, near Optimist Hall. It's currently owned by Consolidated Pipe & Supply Co., but Mochizuki said they have plans to purchase the property.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/05/11/nrp-rezoning-near-noda-optimist-hall-multifamily.html  

To me, the most exciting thing about this is that it basically borders North Tryon on its western corner, which means it along with the new apartment block south by Brookshire, and then the complex going in directly across the tracks from Optimist Hall, which will be formally approached (by car) from North Tryon, that super sad stretch of North Tryon might actually be made into some place...habitable. I never would have dreamed it just a few years ago. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, KJHburg said:

It is under contract and think sold to apartment developer heard about this on the tour this Saturday in passing.  

Just circling back to this. It's been two months now and no news so I'm curious if this didn't happen.

How long do these deals usually take to become public?

• 4 months later...

I thought this was Villa Heights or at least according to the Mill District branding. I do see that google maps labels it as Optimist Park though. And then most people call it NoDa. I wonder what people will call the strip of urbanity bordered by Brevard, Parkwood, Davidson/Yadkin and Matheson in 5 years. I’ve been thinking of it as the burgeoning Downtown Villa Heights. I generally think that definitions of neighborhoods in this area are bound to change. For example what we call NoDa was never going to orient itself entirely around North Davidson street, the developable area is too long and narrow to maintain a consistent character and sense of place. There are also many physical barriers that create neighborhood boundaries of their own. Now the axis for “NoDa” seems to be 36th street extending to the other side to North Tryon, while a new neighborhood has been forming in what I call Downtown Villa Heights. Meanwhile their is a bubble of development I’ve taken to calling Optimist Park that takes up much of the old neighborhood and has started to spread across the tracks with Optimist Hall as it’s center. These all feel like distinct places to me, and I’ve started considering the area around Sugar Creek station to be its own neighborhood as well called Sugar Creek. Neighborhoods are in the eye of the beholder, but I feel there is a case due to geography for their to be 4 distinct neighborhoods within the area many refer to as just “NoDa”.

This has been my TedTalk

Edited by Guest

40 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

I thought this was Villa Heights or at least according to the Mill District branding. I do see that google maps labels it as Optimist Park though. And then most people call it NoDa. I wonder what people will call the strip of urbanity bordered by Brevard, Parkwood, Davidson/Yadkin and Matheson in 5 years. I’ve been thinking of it as the burgeoning Downtown Villa Heights. I generally think that definitions of neighborhoods in this area are bound to change. For example what we call NoDa was never going to orient itself entirely around North Davidson street, the developable area is too long and narrow to maintain a consistent character and sense of place. There are also many physical barriers that create neighborhood boundaries of their own. Now the axis for “NoDa” seems to be 36th street extending to the other side to North Tryon, while a new neighborhood has been forming in what I call Downtown Villa Heights. Meanwhile their is a bubble of development I’ve taken to calling Optimist Park that takes up much of the old neighborhood and has started to spread across the tracks with Optimist Hall as it’s center. These all feel like distinct places to me, and I’ve started considering the area around Sugar Creek station to be its own neighborhood as well called Sugar Creek. Neighborhoods are in the eye of the beholder, but I feel there is a case due to geography for their to be 4 distinct neighborhoods within the area many refer to as just “NoDa”.

This has been my TedTalk

I think Parkwood/Plaza/Mattheson is Villa Heights.  Surprised to see this branded as Optimist Park since I don't think there is any more cache in that then Villa Heights tbh.  I'm surprised they didn't try to sell it as NODA like everyone else who is even somewhat near NODA.

Here is my best attempt at defining boundaries.

IMG_5997.thumb.png.5150b6c03f6f734f30d3b56aec1994c2.png

I used major physical barriers, existing neighborhood definitions, and zoning to determine these. Neighborhoods are in the mind of the beholder, especially on the fringes, so I’m interested to see if anyone has any alternative boundaries to suggest. Fuzziest bit is the NW section of “NoDa” as there isn’t a hard boundary anywhere to distinguish from what I believe will be considered North End. 

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

Here is my best attempt at defining boundaries.

IMG_5997.thumb.png.5150b6c03f6f734f30d3b56aec1994c2.png

I used major physical barriers, existing neighborhood definitions, and zoning to determine these. Neighborhoods are in the mind of the beholder, especially on the fringes, so I’m interested to see if anyone has any alternative boundaries to suggest. Fuzziest bit is the NW section of “NoDa” as there isn’t a hard boundary anywhere to distinguish from what I believe will be considered North End. 

Google Maps already shows the neighborhood boundaries. Just click on a neighborhood name and a red-white outline will pop up.

IMG_0015.png

IMG_0014.png

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Google Maps already shows the neighborhood boundaries. Just click on a neighborhood name and a red-white outline will pop up.

IMG_0015.png

IMG_0014.png

Yes I know. As I indicated in my prior posts I used those boundaries but not just those, because to me they don’t seem to correlate well with the reality of the urban environment as it has been and will be built.

^ I -think- Google’s neighborhood boundaries mostly come from real estate listings. This is an iffy source of info for this since, as mentioned upthread, popular neighborhoods like NoDa get over represented in listings, while neighborhoods like Optimist Park are less frequently mentioned. 

Historically NoDa was defined by boundaries of the mill district in North Charlotte along the railroad. To me this suggests that NoDa doesn’t extend north of the tracks. Now that I have said that, I’ll admit that very few people are taking ancient history into account when defining Charlotte neighborhoods today.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, CLT Development said:

It is under contract to Urban Atlantic, the deal length would depend on the due diligence period, which I would imagine could be lengthy considering possible environmental concerns around a 6 acre open junk yard being developed for affordable and market rate residential. 

Circling back on this again - does anyone have updates on the status of Hunter's Auto Wrecker? It's shown "under contract" for almost a full year now but haven't heard anything in the news.

16 minutes ago, fortibus said:

Circling back on this again - does anyone have updates on the status of Hunter's Auto Wrecker? It's shown "under contract" for almost a full year now but haven't heard anything in the news.

Townhouses (presumably rental) have been submitted thus far for the Southeastern portion on the other side of N. Davidson. Not sure why it hasn't closed yet.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Noticed fencing around the buildings on North Davidson between 24th and 25th. Hopefully a refresh like similar buildings in that area?

These were purchased by Spacecraft City for 624 apartments, 23199  square feet office and 29,926 square feet of retail. I don't think those plans are imminent so its possible they are fixing them up to lease out temporarily.

• Like 1